Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Most Enjoyable Seasons as a UK BB Fan

I'm sure a question like this has been asked. But Darryl's post about the best UK coaches got me thinking about this a bit. I'm a bit on the younger side so may not have some of the teams that others will have. AND....I have no doubt I am going to change my mind by the end of this thread and reading other's comments.

But, here are my most enjoyable seasons (first game through last tourney game) as a UK basketball fan:

1. 1996 - was amazing from beginning to end. I loved the coaching. I loved the team. I loved how we stomped everyone.
    2. 2010 - the 2nd resurrection. I loved Wall and Cousins. I loved Cal's passion. Heartbreaking ending but man Wall was something special.
    3. 2012
    4. 1993 - I loved this team. Maybe my favorite assembly of players since I loved Mash and Delk so much.
    5. 2017 - Fox and Monk were just special. And vs UNC in Vegas was the best game I have ever seen live.
    6. 1992 - It meant so much watching these guys. And the Duke game is one of the best basketball games I've ever seen in my life.
    7. 1995 - Ugh at how it ended
    8. 2003
    9. 1998
    10. 2011 - I loved Brandon Knight. And I loved watching Harrellson get better. And that tourney was flat awesome. Also, this was the first year I was able to watch with my boys. They were 5 and 3 and just getting old enough to cheer the team on.

You will notice 2015 is not on this list. That team was one of the best college teams I have ever seen. But I didn't enjoy much of that season. I hated Platooning. I was stressed the last 10 games. And I HATED how we lost to Wisconsin and allowed Duke another title.

So, what say all of you?
    Comments 14 Comments
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      I am definitely in the group that it's just impossible to rank.

In no particular order:

1984: From the hype on TBS for the UK/UL game until the ride all the way up to the heartbreaking ending and then seeing Bowie/Turpin drafted. The epitome of fun as a child with UK and I never looked back.

1988: It's a bit of a toss-up between this season and '87, and even though '87 ushered in Rex, had the domination of UL, the emergence of the 3-pt game, in '88 we really had a shot to win the title. '87 built the foundation for excitement for '88. It was also the first time in my life that I was serious about following recruiting. I was starting to go to more games, as I was now a driver.

1991 - 1995: The college years. I'm not sure if there can be more fun. The Pitino years. Road trips. Winning basketball.

1996: Championship season. Robert Goulet commercials, "kick a little tush and it's back on the bus...We are Kentucky" (that might have been the season before, but that's the thing about memories, sometimes you don't get it right). It's when I first met my Chicago BBN who I am still friends with to this date. Well, at least that are still with us.

1997: One of my top 5 teams of all time. Such a fun season, but an awful way to end it. Still, one game doesn't take away from the fun.

2010: Every second of that team was pure fun, until the W VA game

2011: I loved watching this team progress, and even though the draw was difficult, I remember being steadfast that the team would reach the FF. They didn't let me down. One bad shooting night won't erase the memories.

2012: AD. Title. Beating UL in the FF. It doesn't get much better than that.

2014: That tournament run. WOW.

2015: The domination. The talent. The hype. The media. My first opening round tournament in Vegas. I went to the UCLA game. The torment of Wisconsin fans will never poison the well for me. That season is what UK is the modern basketball environment should be about.

2017: We all know who the best team was that season. Even a rooferree cannot take away the fun of that season.

No surprises here.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I saw where Hawk's is permanently closed!! I was hoping to stop there on my way home from "The Burg" next week. Disappointing.

Couldn't compete with Cozy I guess.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      Couldn't compete with Cozy I guess.
      Sad.
      goodycat -
      This may seem odd but my #1 is Pitino’s first (89-90 season). After the terrible 13-19 season and probation, Pitino’s first year made it clear to me that we were on our way to being a power again and I went from absolute depression over the state of the program to excitement and optimism. What makes it #1 for me, though, is that I was a senior in high school and had the chance to listen to Cawood call every one of those games on the radio with my Dad. With no TV available, we got to share a really unique and fun season together.

My #2 is 1996. I was alive but 6 years old when we won in 1978. I remember that but couldn’t really understand. I was 24 in 1996 and reveled in us FINALLY winning a championship that I could enjoy and celebrate.

#3 is 1998. Totally unexpected championship and the Elite 8 win over Duke is one of my favorite UK games ever.

#4 is 2012. When Anthony Davis blocked John Henson’s shot to win the game in the regular season match up with UNC I knew something special was happening. That season was awesome and winning that championship was so satisfying beating UL in the final four and Kansas for the championship (and the championship game also included one of my favorite all time defensive plays for UK — MKG recovering on the back door cut late in the game to block what should have been an easy lay up).

#5 is 2010. When BCG was fired and Cal was hired I was cautiously optimistic.
      When John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, et al were signed, I was really excited. Watching John Wall vs UNC convinced me we were back. After the disgraceful final years under Tubby and the embarrassment of the BCG years, I was concerned that we were done. But Cal and that team brought us back immediately. I went from defeated to overjoyed in the matter of one season. Cal brought the joy back to being a UK fan and I loved it.

#6 is 1992. What a great season and amazing run through the tournament. And of course the elite 8 game vs Duke. Devastating defeat but our ability to hang with them proved we were on the cusp of a championship.

#7 is 1993. I loved Mashburn and the run in that NCAA tournament was amazing.

#8 is 2011. I really liked Knight and Harrelson and beating OSU and UNC in the tournament made it one of the most enjoyable I ever watched.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by goodycat View Post
      This may seem odd but my #1 is Pitino’s first (89-90 season). After the terrible 13-19 season and probation, Pitino’s first year made it clear to me that we were on our way to being a power again and I went from absolute depression over the state of the program to excitement and optimism. What makes it #1 for me, though, is that I was a senior in high school and had the chance to listen to Cawood call every one of those games on the radio with my Dad. With no TV available, we got to share a really unique and fun season together.

My #2 is 1996. I was alive but 6 years old when we won in 1978. I remember that but couldn’t really understand. I was 24 in 1996 and reveled in us FINALLY winning a championship that I could enjoy and celebrate.

#3 is 1998. Totally unexpected championship and the Elite 8 win over Duke is one of my favorite UK games ever.

#4 is 2012. When Anthony Davis blocked John Henson’s shot to win the game in the regular season match up with UNC I knew something special was happening. That season was awesome and winning that championship was so satisfying beating UL in the final four and Kansas for the championship (and the championship game also included one of my favorite all time defensive plays for UK — MKG recovering on the back door cut late in the game to block what should have been an easy lay up).

When John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, et al were signed, I was really excited. Watching John Wall vs UNC convinced me we were back. After the disgraceful final years under Tubby and the embarrassment of the BCG years, I was concerned that we were done. But Cal and that team brought us back immediately. I went from defeated to overjoyed in the matter of one season. Cal brought the joy back to being a UK fan and I loved it.

#6 is 1992. What a great season and amazing run through the tournament. And of course the elite 8 game vs Duke. Devastating defeat but our ability to hang with them proved we were on the cusp of a championship.

#8 is 2011. I really liked Knight and Harrelson and beating OSU and UNC in the tournament made it one of the most enjoyable I ever watched.
      My favorite moments

When Anthony Davis blocked John Henson’s shot to win the game in the regular season match up with UNC I knew something special was happening.

Tayshaun's 5 consecutive 3 pointers against UNC

Goose's 41 pts against Duke in 78

Jorts' cannon shot at Sullinger
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      My favorite moments

When Anthony Davis blocked John Henson’s shot to win the game in the regular season match up with UNC I knew something special was happening.

Tayshaun's 5 consecutive 3 pointers against UNC

Goose's 41 pts against Duke in 78

Jorts' cannon shot at Sullinger
      I always visited the UNC site back then. I posted about Davis' strength inside defensively and was met with laughter and jeers prior to the game. They were filled with comments such as Henson being much too long for A.D inside, and perhaps the greatest defensive big man the game had seen in decades.

So I agree on that being a top three moment for me. Another moment and I can't pinpoint it as exact is the John Wall performance against UNC. I recall most of Vitales talk was about the strength of the ACC, etc.. But as the game progressed in the first half Wall began to explode leaving tarheels scattered all over the court trying to figure out how to defend a player with such quickness.
      The "OH WOW" Vitale moments were very satisfying as a new era of UK basketball was obviously ushered in.

Goose's 41 still top the list however. And that was a very good Duke team.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      I always visited the UNC site back then. I posted about Davis' strength inside defensively and was met with laughter and jeers prior to the game. They were filled with comments such as Henson being much too long for A.D inside, and perhaps the greatest defensive big man the game had seen in decades.

So I agree on that being a top three moment for me. Another moment and I can't pinpoint it as exact is the John Wall performance against UNC. I recall most of Vitales talk was about the strength of the ACC, etc.. But as the game progressed in the first half Wall began to explode leaving tarheels scattered all over the court trying to figure out how to defend a player with such quickness.
      The "OH WOW" Vitale moments were very satisfying as a new era of UK basketball was obviously ushered in.

Goose's 41 still top the list however. And that was a very good Duke team.
      The Wall game was December, 2009. That wasn't Vitale; CBS did the game and Clark Kellogg was the color guy who was blown away by Wall.

Darryl
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      The Wall game was December, 2009. That wasn't Vitale; CBS did the game and Clark Kellogg was the color guy who was blown away by Wall.

Darryl
      Perhaps it wasn't the North Carolina game, but it was Vitale I'm recalling. Maybe against UConn in MSG

I have things mixed up as usual. Thing is, I did just get to watch those highlights, so it was a good thing.
      snoopcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by goodycat View Post
      This may seem odd but my #1 is Pitino’s first (89-90 season). After the terrible 13-19 season and probation, Pitino’s first year made it clear to me that we were on our way to being a power again and I went from absolute depression over the state of the program to excitement and optimism. What makes it #1 for me, though, is that I was a senior in high school and had the chance to listen to Cawood call every one of those I games on the radio with my Dad. With no TV available, we got to share a really unique and fun season together.

I agree with you on 89-90 as it was my senior year at UK and we went to all the home games. The LSU Shaq and Chris Jackson win being the pinnacle of the year. UK was back and basketball was fun!
      ukpumacat -
      I’m thrilled 2011 is getting as much love as it is.
      I know Knight had it rough against UConn but man he was great the rest of that tournament. He literally carried us on his back.
      I think it can’t be overstated how much getting to the Final Four that year prepared a few of those guys (and Cal) for the championship in 2012.
      Darryl -
      Knight had an interesting/uneven NCAAT. Folks remember the 2 game winners, but overall:

Princeton: the final 2 were his only points of the game
      OSU: the game winner were his 8th and 9th points of that game
      He scored 30 versus West Virginia in the 2nd game, 22 versus UNC in the Elite 8 and 17 in the Final 4 loss to UConn.

Overall, for the tournament Knight was 26-79 for 32.9% from the field and 12-37 for 32.4% from 3 (3-11 versus UConn)

Darryl
      Terminus -
      When thinking about particular games, 2 that I’ve rewatched enough to validate Cal’s “you people are crazy” soundbites are the 98 Duke game and the 03 UF game when they came into Rupp No. 1 and got just methodically steamrolled. The Rupp environment for that UF game was absolutely electric.
      dtalbersjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
      When thinking about particular games, 2 that I’ve rewatched enough to validate Cal’s “you people are crazy” soundbites are the 98 Duke game and the 03 UF game when they came into Rupp No. 1 and got just methodically steamrolled. The Rupp environment for that UF game was absolutely electric.

The best I’ve ever heard Rupp. We (team AND fans) were out for blood and there wasn’t a damn thing they could do about it.

Tayshaun’s 5th three against UNC was the loudest single moment I’ve heard, but the UF game was nearly that loud for the entire game.
      Terminus -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      The best I’ve ever heard Rupp. We (team AND fans) were out for blood and there wasn’t a damn thing they could do about it.

Tayshaun’s 5th three against UNC was the loudest single moment I’ve heard, but the UF game was nearly that loud for the entire game.

Man, that’s awesome that you got to see the game in person, had to be just a surreal experience. I was at the game in Gainesville that year which was great, but I know it can’t hold a candle to being in Rupp for that hammer.
  • KSR Twitter Feed