Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Toppin at camp

Toppin was mic’d up at camp. Sounds like he is having a great time interacting with kids.

Comments 74 Comments
      DanISSELisdaman -
      He's sure enjoying himself!
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
      He's sure enjoying himself!
      From the various videos you can see that Toppin and Brooks are taking the leadership reigns, and Jacob is the vocal, rah-rah part of the duo.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      From the various videos you can see that Toppin and Brooks are taking the leadership reigns, and Jacob is the vocal, rah-rah part of the duo.
      Direct competitors for playing time too. If those guys prove to be the leaders and competitors, then there should be no reason why there should be any internal issues. That is unless there is a knucklehead on the team, and I just don't see that.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
      Direct competitors for playing time too. If those guys prove to be the leaders and competitors, then there should be no reason why there should be any internal issues. That is unless there is a knucklehead on the team, and I just don't see that.
      That's a great point.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
      The interesting thing about this team is that there isn’t a player on the team that spent a lengthy time in the top 20 coming up through the ranks. TyTy and Damion were guys most people had never heard of as juniors, and they are the top rated guys on the team.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      The interesting thing about this team is that there isn’t a player on the team that spent a lengthy time in the top 20 coming up through the ranks. TyTy and Damion were guys most people had never heard of as juniors, and they are the top rated guys on the team.
      Yes, I think there are some pluses with that, but it's also the one reason for my guarded optimism. We have sacrificed elitism for maturity and that is an unproven model.

However, I think the team is going to be close and playing for one another and that is going to offset the benefits of having that elite talent. Not to mention, TyTy and Damion (and some other guys) have the chance to play themselves into the lottery or first round.
      ukpumacat -
      We need someone to be elite or we aren't going to go very far in the tourney. I love the balance of this squad. And I love some of the maturity and experience. But that has never needed to be at the sacrifice of an elite talent or two.

We have a few guys that could take that next step forward and be that guy...but our tourney success likely depends on one or more of them actually doing it.

To Cal's credit, he didn't trade experience for elitism. He went hard after several top guys: Hardy and Paolo especially.
      Darryl -
      Who were the elite/superstars on:

2010 Duke
      2013 UL
      2016 Nova
      2017 UNC
      2018 Nova
      2019 Virginia

Unsure Shabazz Napier was an elite player in 2014 either

Darryl
      KeithKSR -
      We will have four or five guys that have averaged double digits for a season or more at the college level, and 2 or 3 guys that led their college teams in scoring last season. When was the last time a UK offseason roster included 5 or 6 guys who had at least one game of 20 or more points?
      dan_bgblue -
      Were Mercer and Anderson elite super stars in 1997? I guess one could make an argument that they were and they were definitely outstanding players, but I do not think that either of them were in Anthony Davis category either.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Were Mercer and Anderson elite super stars in 1997? I guess one could make an argument that they were and they were definitely outstanding players, but I do not think that either of them were in Anthony Davis category either.
      They had an excellent game here and there in the 96 season, but no one knew for certain what they would do under the spotlight.

The 98 title team’s best player, Jeff Sheppard, was undrafted.
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      Who were the elite/superstars on:

2010 Duke
      2013 UL
      2016 Nova
      2017 UNC
      2018 Nova
      2019 Virginia

Unsure Shabazz Napier was an elite player in 2014 either

Darryl
      Well, I shouldn't have used the word elite. It communicates something I don't mean to.

Many UK fans define elite as a lotto pick. And that isn't what I mean.

For instance, Devin Booker was a lotto pick. But he was not elite in college. He just had tons of upside. And he is now an elite NBA player.

For me, what it takes to win it all is a guy who can get his own shot and put his team on his back. THAT is what UK is possibly missing (and one reason I think Mintz coming back is so important).

Every single one of those teams you list above had one of those guys. They were not "elite" if you define it as someone who is a lotto pick. But they are a super college player who can create their own shot and win a game or two when needed.

2010 Duke = Nolan Smith (yes, seriously).
      2013 UL = Russ Smith
      2016 Nova = Josh Hart
      2017 UNC = Joel Berry
      2018 Nova = Jalen Brunson
      2019 Virginia = Kyle Guy

Most of those guys are not "elite" in the sense of NBA potential. But all of them were fantastic college players who carried their teams for a few games in the tourney. And they are all guards. And the tourney is all about the guards. And none of them are freshmen.

Can Brooks be that guy? Maybe?? But he really struggles to create his own shot. Mintz definitely could be if he returns. He hit some huge shots for us this past year and just plays with ice in his veins late in games. And he is capable of creating on his own. I can easily see him have a Kyle Guy/Joel Berry type influence on our team.
      dtalbersjr -
      Mercer was SEC player of the year, first team all American and #6 overall pick. So yes, he was an elite super star in 1997.

If AD is the bar, there are maybe 8-10 players ever who had a season like he did. If that many. That isn't the bar for elite, it's the bar for all time great.
      ukpumacat -
      Btw, Aaron Harrison obviously hit some huge shots for us in 2014. BUT...if you were to simply look at our roster in 2015 and think, "What is the biggest weakness on this team?"....my answer would be this exact topic.

There were TONS of "elite" guys if you define them as NBA prospects or lotto picks.

But we had no one on that team that could create their own shot like some of those guys above. Andrew and Aaron struggled to. Ulis was great at creating for other people but not himself. Booker couldn't yet.

As talented as we were, that team desperately needed a Russ Smith or Shabbaz Napier or Jalen Brunson that could create their own shot off the dribble and hit big ones in the clutch. It is the main reason we just kept dumping to KAT. And that is just too easy to guard against.
      dan_bgblue -
      Please excuse my brain fart. Neither Mercer or Anderson were on the 97 championship squad. As Keith pointed out the MVP of that team was Shep and he went undrafted.
      ukpumacat -
      Please excuse my brain fart. Neither Mercer or Anderson were on the 97 championship squad. As Keith pointed out the MVP of that team was Shep and he went undrafted.
      dan_bgblue -
      97-98
      ukpumacat -
      97-98
      Ha! Yes...My brain can only process the year the tourney is played or I start getting all "A Beautiful Mind".
      Terminus -
      I don’t know that the 97-98 group had a real “go to” scorer, but they had the benefit of 4 juniors and 3 seniors who not only had experience in the program and playing together, but Final 4 experience as well (with the exception of Evans who sat out the prior season I believe). I think that continuity, solid depth and unique experience can mitigate the need for an elite scorer.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      Well, I shouldn't have used the word elite. It communicates something I don't mean to.

Many UK fans define elite as a lotto pick. And that isn't what I mean.

For instance, Devin Booker was a lotto pick. But he was not elite in college. He just had tons of upside. And he is now an elite NBA player.

For me, what it takes to win it all is a guy who can get his own shot and put his team on his back. THAT is what UK is possibly missing (and one reason I think Mintz coming back is so important).

Every single one of those teams you list above had one of those guys. They were not "elite" if you define it as someone who is a lotto pick. But they are a super college player who can create their own shot and win a game or two when needed.

2010 Duke = Nolan Smith (yes, seriously).
      2013 UL = Russ Smith
      2016 Nova = Josh Hart
      2017 UNC = Joel Berry
      2018 Nova = Jalen Brunson
      2019 Virginia = Kyle Guy

Most of those guys are not "elite" in the sense of NBA potential. But all of them were fantastic college players who carried their teams for a few games in the tourney. And they are all guards. And the tourney is all about the guards. And none of them are freshmen.

Can Brooks be that guy? Maybe?? But he really struggles to create his own shot. Mintz definitely could be if he returns. He hit some huge shots for us this past year and just plays with ice in his veins late in games. And he is capable of creating on his own. I can easily see him have a Kyle Guy/Joel Berry type influence on our team.
      I think this makes perfect sense. Somewhere you need a scorer. He may not be able to score every time, but if your offense is struggling, he can create a shot and get a bucket or two or three or four and open the offense up. Even in 1998, when we say that we had no elite players, I think we had that type of player in Jeff Sheppard, and maybe to a lesser extent, Wayne Turner. Nazr Mohammed and Scott Padgett averaged more points, but Sheppard and Turner could create.

For next year's team, if you made me rank the players that I think that could fill this role, in order, this is what I would say:

1. Allen - he showed he could drive the ball, has good height and extension, and got shots off quickly last year (because he was forced to do so, albeit not very successfully at times). I suspect he will have a nice jump this year and an even quicker shot.
      2. Oscar T. - Big, strong, can score the ball, and mature. Also has something to prove this year. And you know that Cal likes that inside presence. Yes, I hate to put him up this high, but past experience tells me he will get a long look.
      3. Brooks - many people are suggesting he's going to make a substantial jump his junior year. If he does, he could be that go to guy. Right now, I'm kind of reserving judgment. He has had games where I thought he would be the guy, and then he has games where he has disappeared. If you're going to be the guy, you can't disappear.
      4. Wheeler - much less confidence with him, but he is a wildcard. Everyone points to his poor shooting, but he shot fairly well his freshman year, and had a terrible year last year. Which is emblematic of the player? I concede that there is a healthy dose of hopefulness in this selection, because if he is "the guy" then this team could be really good. I don't have a lot of confidence in this selection.
      5. Toppin - I keep looking at his brother and thinking, "why not him?" I refuse to mark him off as a player with a high ceiling. If he become 60% of what his brother was in college, he could be the go to guy.
      6. Mintz - leading scorer from last year, and I place him after the top five. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign, but I am hopeful that's a good sign. I like the player, but I don't see the same qualities in him as other players that are "go to" guys.

It is interesting to me after I made the selections I thought about them. I selected six guys with experience. I wasn't looking for experience, but talent that could create their own shot. I think that speaks to the fact that we have a lot of experience on next year's team, or perhaps it speaks to the fact that I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. And both could be true.
  • KSR Twitter Feed