Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Shhh....quiet, people are sleeping. SEC Media Day Basketball 2012

This article was originally published in forum thread: Shhh....quiet, people are sleeping. SEC Media Day Basketball 2012 started by Darrell KSR View original post
    Comments 6 Comments
      Abryan -
      First time participating here thanks to my friend kingcat. Does location play a part or is this totally indicative of the interest level toward b-ball in the SEC?
      Dogsoldier202 -
      They ever think about moving the basketball Media days to maybe nashville or something.
      Darrell KSR -
      You know, those are good thoughts.

Birmingham is pretty centrally located, decent to good airport hub, etc. Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Starkville and Nashville are all very close But Nashville could be a great choice, too.

I think what you see, however, is just the true interest this time of year. It's non-existent for anybody except Kentucky. Even for Kentucky, it's pretty non-existent--I saw very few Kentucky media in Birmingham. Truth is, I've covered every media day, football and basketball, for us since 1996, but it's in my backyard.

Kentucky made it difficult with the Blue-White game on Wednesday night, and the SEC made it less palatable when no players were invited. So most of the Kentucky media relied upon SEC-provided quotes for their coverage of SEC Media Days. Credit to Jerry Tipton for being there, but others were scarce.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Abryan View Post
      First time participating here thanks to my friend kingcat. Does location play a part or is this totally indicative of the interest level toward b-ball in the SEC?
      And welcome to you, Abryan. Kingcat is good people, and if you're a friend of his, you're a friend of everyone's. Glad to have you here!
      VirginiaCat -
      Wow Darrell,

that speaks volumes... I agree, Nashville or even Atlanta is a better spot. Not sure that in this day and age of easy travel the central location is as important as is market exposure. Atlanta may be best because of its media hub and proximity to NBA teams and markets that are more interested in NCAABB...
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
      Wow Darrell,

that speaks volumes... I agree, Nashville or even Atlanta is a better spot. Not sure that in this day and age of easy travel the central location is as important as is market exposure. Atlanta may be best because of its media hub and proximity to NBA teams and markets that are more interested in NCAABB...
      Well, either the outlets will cover it, or they won't.

Will Rivals.com, 247.com and Scout.com send their guys from all 14 sites there? The LHL, Louisville C-J, etc.? I visited with Chris Dortch of College Blue Ribbon Basketball fame, and said hello to C.M. Newton, and had an NCAA representative identified for me, but really, there just wasn't a buzz about it, and hasn't been for years.

There are 1,000 media members spread out over 3 days--in Birmingham--for football. Why not for basketball? In one day? I don't have a number, but I'd guess 200 or fewer credentialed media there. I swear, I think there were more when they spread it out over two days for basketball, as they used to do. The reason they went to one day was supposed to be to encourage more media to attend (i.e., get all of your info and interviews in one day, cut down on travel/lodging/meal costs, etc.) I don't think it worked.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post