Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Running Game Now Has to Drive the Bus

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Given all the unfortunate musical chairs with Uk's quarterbacks, the Wildcats have had to switch from mostly airmail to pony express. The UK staff have had to devise different packages for which of the four quarterbacks that are on the field at the time. At the present freshman Jalen Whitlow is at the controls and the offensive brain trust hasn't aquired enough trust in him to allow him to air it out. They took a couple of shots down the field against Georgia but they were safely out of the shadows of their goal post. So for the most part offensive coordinator Randy Sanders has opted to rely heavily on the running game - thereby trusting the offensive line and running backs to get the job done.

Joker Phillips laments the fact they had to make such a drastic switch. "I hate that but that's just where we're at," the coach stated. He said as a consequence they haven't seen a lot of A. J. Lagree and Demarcus Sweat.

The offensive line has given a good account of themselves in light of the fact opposing team defenses have stacked the box to stop the run. Starting left guard Zack West has been battling a bum shoulder and had to leave the game Saturday night. His replacement was Tevin Eatmon-Nared for nineteen snaps. Eatmon is a redshirt sophomore wo has seen little playing time but this was his second major playing stint this season. He had nineteen snap against South Carolina. When ask what kind of job Eatmon had done, Philllips stated - "the best thing is you don't notice him and that was against a talented defensive line."

We asked Mike Summers was it a luxuary to build the depth in the offensive line or is he just in a habit of playing just five o-linemen as long as they are healthy? He said - "It is very important to have the depth because it's virtually impossible to go through the season with just five linemen. When your depth is freshmen and redshirt sophomores we are a long way off in having the quality depth we need when you have to put them in the game and there's not much drop off. Earlier in the season he had to play true freshman Josh Swindle at right tackle.

We ask Summers to comment on Eatmon's play in the Georgia game? "I was real encouraged by what he did on Saturday. I was extremely encouraged by what he did. He did better than I ever expected on Saturday. I see that development continuing to grow but he has to stilll come."

Of the ruggedness need to play in the offensive line Summers said it's incredible what all five of those guy have played with already this season. They have fought through an incredible amount of wear and tear that the public doesn't know about.

"It really wasn't a change," Jonathan George said referring to the job Eatmon did. "We trust all or guys on the field. If they're good enough to be on the field and the coaches trust them then we trust them. I was prowd of the job he did in the game."

So perhaps they can put together and performance against Missouri that will allow
    Raymond Sanders and Jonathan George to pony express to put a motor in and conver to a bus.
    Comments 5 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Should have been driving the bus since the season started, imo.
      MickintheHam -
      Yeah Lonnie, there is a little life left in that '47 Blue Bird we're riding to the goal line! What's one more retrofit on that ol bus?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Should have been driving the bus since the season started, imo.
      Agree with this 100%. If you don't have a running game at all, then you throw or do something different. But if you *can* run the ball against an SEC defense--as we have shown the ability to do--you are foolish not to use that as a weapon. Keep the clock running. Keep the ball away from the opponent's offense. Rest your defense. Control the game, the momentum, the tempo, and hopefully, keep the score manageable, even against superior opponents.

Just makes a ton of sense.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Run until they stop you.

Really, if you can run good , all you have to do is throw the ball every fourth or fifth play to keep'em honest. Makes a lot more sense than throwing the ball sixty times against WKU. I don't think I'll ever get over seeing that.
      Catonahottinroof -
      As Darrell noted, the clock is controlled, defense isn't on the field as often and the opposing offense can't hurt you if they don't have the ball.
      We are so pass happy as soon as we are a touchdown behind. Why we panic and go away from running the ball is beyond me...
  • KSR Twitter Feed