Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Sequestration has Ruled the Day in Spring Practice

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Covid-19, unfortunately created an unusual, uncomfortable, and abnormal situation on many fronts.
    The lack of information as it relates to the University of Kentucky football Wildcats.

Firstly the media was forced into an information void. We were forced to operate in a zoom-vacuum.
    This put the media in a forum that limited in team familiarity. This meant the usual chance to get familiar with many players on the team - one-on-one. In usual situations, the media person is required to request the player they wish to interview for their story.

When you gather the totality of request, many times there were a number of player gather in, for instance, the Joe craft lobby. Each player is at your disposal regardless of who made the request.

Media relation needs a pat on the back for the awkward position they were put in to adequately accommodate our needs. The media was not afforded the opportunity of observing a couple of practice sessions. Nor, was the BBN given the opportunity to see a spring game which left the masses in the dark.

Take it from me through my lenses of the coaches take on any of the situations I've described. They feel a like a full scale practice session as opposed to a spring game has far more value. A spring game is a limited display for the fan base that has no redeeming value in the big picture.

Boosters and others concerned we are sure would take issue in not being able to see the big show. In the case of this year the there looms a hunger to see the Blue in uniform. To that extent, it creates a conumdrum. Does anger prevail? Does it heighten that craving given there will be a lot of new things to see?

The totality of the aforementioned created hidden facts that, hopefully, will be revealed in September. As per usual, when the quarterback position is open, questions, speculation, conjecture, and personal preferences come into play. Workplace water fountain conversations, watering hole conversations, and the like spring up.

Even the ebullient, and fun loving Mark Stoops said he misses the face-to-face he has with the media.

Wide receiver coach Jovon Bouknight is into his second season and I would venture to say the majority of the public could not name his presence or know him if the met him in the Mall. He admittedly said he a private behind the scene person and does not need the recognition. He just wants to win football games at Kentucky. We think by the end of the 2021 season his receivers will thrust him into the spotlight. UK hasn't had the full fledge passing passing affecting winning at the highest level since Tim Couch (Alabama at Commonwealth).

There are players operating in a vacuum, some have received mention in spring practice and some that have not - 1) wide receiver Michael Drennen that has been describe with Lynn Bowden like qualities. His knickname is "Donut." He was highly recruited coming out of high school a 3.7 student, with UK beating out Southern
    California. He had three receptions last season in a season of asterisk. I predict a burst out season for Drennen, so look for #5.

Wide receiver Tae Tae Crumes has had his flashes and his drop in last weeks scrimmage will turn to a bright light. Why? Do those of the BBN remember the two early seasons fumbles from Chris Rodriquez in 2018. He hasn't had a fumble since and is now projected one of if not the best running backs in the SEC this season. Fortunately Crumes had his wake up call in practice. Lookout for #82.

Defensive lineman redshirt freshman Isaiah Gibson will be well known by the end of the season. He welcomed Jager Burton to the SEC in the Saturday scrimmage. Burton said Gibson's motor does not not stop. Gibson's #96 will be not a flash so he will be a light that's been under a bushel basket due to lack of exposure.

Defensive backs Jalen Geiger and Taj Dodson have talent but there's not a more valuable than being coachable. These players are like sponges. Not just coaches do the coaching. Yusuf Corker coaches the cornerbacks in making the calls putting them in the right position on the field of play.

Running JuTahn McClain has shown his sparkling ability in scrimmages. Eyes say he is dangerous and lights out when he gets on the edge - jet sweep! Big Dog said he a Eddie Gran were out recruiting together in Ohio, he had some running backs he rated high. He said when they saw McClain Gran said, this is the one. He said past history of Gran with running backs told him to step back and they offered him. McClain was courted by Oho State, Penn State, Notre Dame among others. As a senior at Fairfield High School in Ohio, McClain rushed for 1,947 yards and 21 touchdowns. His high school coach Jason Krause said "he's a guy that can go the distance any time he touches the football."

So, the sequestration period is over on the first snap of the season. The Mark Stoops past style has been what I call the Missouri state "Show Me State." We now see a 180` in Stoops which indicates things are very different now. For the first time Saturday Stoops said 'Next man up.' Something this writer has always said when injury occurs. It's part of football.
  • KSR Twitter Feed