Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky head coach Kyra Elzy previews Iowa 2nd round NCAA matchup

Head Coach Kyra Elzy

On the challenge in preparing for Iowa in a short turnaround...
    "Yes, well with a short turnaround, that's when you go back to the foundation of your defense, so it's nothing different than what we have talked about all year. You know, intensity defensively, being aggressive, making sure we're running Iowa off the 3-point line. They're a phenomenal 3-point team, but that we are able to experience that within the SEC. So, we just go back to the foundation of our defense."

On if it helped Kentucky's confidence to be able to sit the starters at the end of the game vs. Idaho State...
    "Well, it's always good. That means you're winning, so that's always good, so everyone can smile and relax. But it also gave other players an opportunity to get on the floor and play. They've been working extremely hard and to see our starters so excited about the bench getting in and playing, that's always exciting for your team."

On how to balance Rhyne Howard having a great individual game but getting others involved...
    "Well, that's a great question. You know, Rhyne has the ability to take over the game, but what makes her special, is she also has an unbelievable ability to involve her teammates within the offense. She is an extremely good passer. But, there are times when she will have to take over. But, the other players on the floor can't stand and watch. She draws so much attention offensively, and that's where others players have to step up and make plays, and you saw that yesterday."

On Iowa and Caitlin Clark...
    "Yes, I know everyone is talking about the matchup. Obviously, Caitlin Clark is a freshman phenom and Rhyne Howard is the best player in the game right now. But still, even those two players are on the court, it's still a 5-on-5 basketball game. So, that is where your X-factor people will have to step up and make plays. But, as far as Caitlin Clark, her ability to score. She has deep range, she can stop on a dime. She's consistent from the 3-point line. But, I think one of the things besides scoring that makes her so dangerous is her ability to pass and find the open man, which makes it hard for the defense."

On Rhyne Howard being the focal point of the UK offense …
    “Well, I wouldn’t say she’s not the focus, she definitely is the focal point of our offense. I would love for her to go out and score 30 tomorrow as well. But even when she scores 30, you still have to have others players step up and score to keep the defense honest.”

On who she is hoping will step up offensively …
    “You have to establish a post presence inside so Tot or Dre or Olivia Owens inside. KeKe being able to stretch the floor and hit open 3s will be key. Blair and or Robyn Benton coming in and being able to hit big shots will be key. One point of emphasis is Jazmine Massengill. She has to be a scorer and see herself as a scorer, be aggressive off the bounce and get to the rim, finish and hit rhythm shots.”

On if the team is getting stir crazy in the hotel rooms …
    “You know, I think we prepared for the worst so I think it has actually been better than what we thought. Who would’ve knew a 30-minute team walk would be so refreshing. They look forward to that. The times that we are walking to testing they get to be outside and like that. The best thing that has happened is we have balconies on our hotel rooms so the ability to be able to sit outside and get some sun has helped. The players have games and have kept themselves occupied. We have been to the team room and done some activities so I think everyone is in a good headspace.”

On her toughness shirt …
    “Well, I do cycle through them but toughness is what we will have to have tomorrow along with intensity. Nothing has changed from game one. We have to have a focus mindset and buy into the game plan and play to our strengths.”

On if everyone is healthy …
    “Yes, everyone is healthy.”

On having an NCAA win help the team’s confidence …
    Winning always helps everyone’s confidence right? I do think there is something that first game. You want to play well and obviously there is a lot on the line – if you lose you go home. A little nerves, so that is good. You have seen some of these games are close because everyone is giving their all. It does help to get some of the nerves out of the way. Now, you just focus and stick to the game plan and be the best Kentucky team we can be.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      catmanjack -
      Going to be a tough one but rooting hard for the ladies.
  • KSR Twitter Feed