Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Rifle Qualifies for 2021 NCAA Championships

Rifle team will seek third national title March 12-13 in Columbus, Ohio

LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Kentucky rifle team has qualified for the NCAA Rifle Championships for the 27th time in program history as the Wildcats were one of eight teams selected to compete in the national event from March 12-13, inside Converse Hall in Columbus, Ohio.

Kentucky, which is currently ranked second nationally and were regular-season Great American Rifle Conference Co-Championship, has won the national title twice – 2011 and 2018 – with six runner-up finishes.

“It is always exciting to receive a spot in the championships,” said head coach Harry Mullins. “I feel this team has worked really hard this year to get to this point. We are excited that we had the opportunity to compete this year under the circumstances. I am looking forward to seeing the athletes compete at this level.”

Last Saturday's NCAA qualifying score was the last factor in determining the field for the 2021 NCAA Rifle Championships. Each team's three score aggregate average – the score based on each team's highest three regular season scores fired at three different locations – was already recorded prior to last weekend. The NCAA qualifier score was then added to that average and Kentucky along with Air Force, Alaska Fairbanks, Memphis, Nebraska, Ole Miss, TCU and West Virginia had the eight highest combined scores, thus qualifying for the NCAA Championship.

UK’s three scores it counted as part of its NCAA Qualifying score were its school-record 4735 at Murray State on November 7, an impressive 4734 fired vs. Nebraska inside the UK Rifle Range on Jan. 22 and its 4713 team scored at Ole Miss on Jan. 18. Those three scores averaged together for a 4724.33 plus UK’s 4731 NCAA qualifying mark last week gave UK a total mark of 9458.33. That total is the highest NCAA qualifying mark in the nation.

Sophomore Mary Tucker leads Kentucky this season by averaging a 592.3 in smallbore, 598 in air rifle and 1190.3 aggregate. Junior Will Shaner is averaging a 589.5 in smallbore, 596.3 in air rifle and 1185.8 aggregate. Tucker and Shaner are two of three shooters in the nation to score 595 in smallbore this season, while Tucker is one of three shooters with a perfect 600 in air rifle this year.

Junior Richard Clark is averaging a 581.6 in smallbore, 589.8 in air rifle and 1171.4 overall, while junior Mitchell Nelson is averaging 580 in smallbore and 586 in air rifle. Seniors Hailee Sigmon and Mason Hamilton are averaging 1166.472 and 1145.381, respectively. Sophomores Jaden Thompson and Emmie Sellers are having good seasons with aggregate averages of 1167.9 and 1157.931, respectively. Sophomore Mason Hamilton is averaging a 1149.403 aggregate this season.
    Comments 3 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      Seems so fitting for us to be good at rifle. Though likely invented in Pennsylvania, the "Kentucky" Long Rifle was so named for it's popularity on the Kentucky frontier and the very proficient use of it by Kentuckians. Washington recruited them for snipers in the Revolutionary War and General Jackson brought about 2,500 of them to the Battle of New Orleans. The gun far outdistanced British arms of the era and Kentucky militias were well known for their prowess. That rifle was this nation's first real weapon contribution, and it's name a compliment to the Kentuckians who volunteered for service and used it so well.

It's right that we should have outstanding rifle teams.

My challenge is that the way they compete it's not the most easy spectator sport. I really wanted to try the match they held at Memorial to see how it worked. I think you'd need some serious binoculars to really follow the shooting though given how far you are from the range and the precision of the shooting.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Seems so fitting for us to be good at rifle. Though likely invented in Pennsylvania, the "Kentucky" Long Rifle was so named for it's popularity on the Kentucky frontier and the very proficient use of it by Kentuckians. Washington recruited them for snipers in the Revolutionary War and General Jackson brought about 2,500 of them to the Battle of New Orleans. The gun far outdistanced British arms of the era and Kentucky militias were well known for their prowess. That rifle was this nation's first real weapon contribution, and it's name a compliment to the Kentuckians who volunteered for service and used it so well.

It's right that we should have outstanding rifle teams.

My challenge is that the way they compete it's not the most easy spectator sport. I really wanted to try the match they held at Memorial to see how it worked. I think you'd need some serious binoculars to really follow the shooting though given how far you are from the range and the precision of the shooting.
      I agree with this in every way. It is a source of pride with me that we are good at it, and I'd like to follow it better, but it's just difficult to do.
      UKFlounder -
      I hope they have a shot at winning it...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Rifle team will seek third national title March 12-13 in Columbus, Ohio

• KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post