Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Fletcher departs Lexington as Calipari asks him to "step away" from team

By LARRY VAUGHT

After Cam’Ron Fletcher’s emotional outburst on the bench late in Kentucky’s loss to North Carolina Saturday, UK coach John Calipari said he apologized to the team for what he did over his lack of playing time.

At 11:53 a.m. Sunday, the UK freshman posted an apology for his behavior on Twitter.

“I was frustrated and let my emotions get the best of me. I always feel I can help the team,” Fletcher posted. “I am a team player and it hurts to see my team struggling. That’s why I was frustrated and emotions peaked. There is no excuse for my behavior at all. I just want to make sure everyone knows I am fully committed to this program and willing to do whatever I’m asked by my coaches … I made a mistake and I take full ownership.”

Fully committed? Well about two hours later he was on a plane leaving Lexington for Atlanta and on his way home.

A UK fan on the flight said Fletcher had his No. 21 Kentucky backpack and was wearing a blue sweatshirt and gray sweatpants. She said he had a UK staff member with him at the airport and “didn’t seem upset”.

“Gave the guy a fist bump before going through the TSA checkpoint right in front of me,” she said.

They were actually seated in the same row before she told him he might want to ask for an empty row so he would have more room considering his size.

“He smiled and said, ‘You’re right,’” she said before he was moved to an exit row.

The fan said she made “small talk” with Fletcher before he got a phone call and she left him alone.

“Cute kid. I wanted to take him home and feed him dinner,” she said.

I contacted UK this morning to see if Fletcher had left the team. A little bit later Calipari was on Twitter confirming Fletcher had left Lexington.

“We have asked Cam Fletcher to take some time and step away from the team. He needs to reflect and do some soul searching to get his priorities in order. Any attitude or actions that are detrimental to this team will not be tolerated – and that goes for everyone on the team,” Calipari tweeted.

“We have a culture here that’s been built over the last 11 years AND IT WILL NOT CHANGE. Through good times and bad, this culture is meant to change individuals and change maturity levels. This hurts our team, but this is about Cam and his future.

“I talked to Cam and his mother and they know I care about him and I love him, but they also understand that there are changes that need to be made. It’s his job to decide whether he can perform within this culture both on and off the court.”

Bam! That’s way out of character for Calipari to say anything like that when a player leaves the team. And really out of the norm for him to ask a player to “step away” like that.

Not sure what happened from the time Fletcher made his apology on Twitter — or that was something he really did not want to do but was asked to do — in the next two hours before he was on a plane out of Lexington.

He had played sparingly in UK’s 1-5 start and probably was frustrated he did not get more chances. But Calipari saying his actions currently were detrimental to the team makes me wonder if he will be back.

The team has a NCAA mandate three off days this week. Other players will not be leaving Lexington because of the pandemic.

I would not expect Fletcher in uniform Saturday against Louisville even if he decides to come back. Just reading between the lines, though, it sure seems like his relationship has gone sour and it will surprise me if he’s back in this year of turmoil for Kentucky basketball.
    Comments 21 Comments
      Catfan73 -
      Quote Originally Posted by uklandrn View Post
      Holy moly !! I’m freaking famous even if no one knows who I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Forget about feeding him, the best thing you could have done for him was to tell the truth about what you saw and you did that. BBN is in your debt.
  • KSR Twitter Feed