Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Boston struggling as UK leading scorer, but confidence not shaken

By LARRY VAUGHT

He’s the leading scorer at Kentucky, a position that normally would earn a true freshman early-season accolades.

Instead, Brandon Boston has been struggling as much — or maybe more — than the rest of his UK teammates.

Before Kentucky played and lost to Notre Dame for its fourth straight loss, Boston admitted it was “definitely a surprise” to him about how hard this season had been.

“It’s another level. It’s a different level than high school. But just staying the course, taking it day by day and get better every day.”

Before the Notre Dame loss, Boston said his confidence had not been shaken and he had invited teammates to join a “Breakfast Club” for early morning workouts.

“I get up like around 5:45, get in the gym by 6. I try to finish by 7:30 and meditate after I eat breakfast. So far it’s only been me and Cam Fletcher getting up that early right now,” Boston said.

Boston is shooting only 19.2 percent from 3-point range. He’s missed 21 of 26 3’s. Overall he’s hitting just 38.4 percent from the field. He also has 12 turnovers compared to only six assists. In fairness to Boston, he has rebounded well and is averaging 6.2 per game — the second best mark on the team and slightly more than center Olivier Sarr is averaging going into Saturday’s game against UCLA.

“I feel like that’s part of the reason why we’re losing so many games because we have so many turnovers. Coach has preached to us that you’ve got to make the easy plays and not try to be the guy that makes the neat play. Just slow down when you get the ball,” Boston said.

Boston understands he has not been “playing my best basketball” or doing what was expected from a player already projected as a 2021 NBA draft lottery pick.

“What I want people to see is that I have a high motor, I’m willing to play winning basketball, and that I go out there and compete and fight every game,” Boston said before the Notre Dame game.

Then he went out and missed 10 of 15 shots against Notre Dame and had two more turnovers in another UK loss.

“We’re still trying to jell. But I feel like it’s going to come. It’s going to come one day sooner than later,” Boston said.

With Kentucky now 1-4 this season, the sooner needs to get here now.
  • KSR Twitter Feed