Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Calipari will match money fans spend on cutouts; hopes to see 10,000 in Rupp

John Calipari’s daughters are among the fans who have cutouts in Rupp Arena seats for UK games. (Twitter Photo)

By LARRY VAUGHT

It was certainly a different atmosphere in Rupp Arena Wednesday night when Kentucky beat Morehead 81-45 in its season opener.

One fan I know, Marsha Lane of Danville, said she was “not impressed” with the new protocols that included no concessions, including water, and the new location of her seat.

Kentucky coach John Calipari would like to find a way to have more than about 3,000 fans — 15 percent of Rupp’s capacity — at games.

“Is there some way we can test where we can have 30 percent, where more fans can come and they feel comfortable coming because they're tested? How do we do that? I don't know. I don't have time. I'm trying to get a basketball team together,” Calipari said after the win.

“I would say this, when we came in yesterday (to the arena to shoot) and I saw all the cards with people's faces on it, the team went nuts. They said, ‘Did these people buy these? These people are crazy.’ And then they went up there and sat with them.”

Kentucky is selling cardboard cutouts that fans can purchase and have placed in a seat at Rupp Arena. Prices vary depending on the seat location.

Now Calipari would like to sell out Rupp Arena with cutouts.

“Going forward, Ellen (Calipari) and I will match whatever money they raise. So if you want to buy a thousand-dollar seat on the floor, they have those. If you want to buy a $350 seat in the first row with your kids and all that, $70 seat deeper than that<‘ Calipari said. “Ellen and I, we're going to match whatever you pay, and that way, again, help the athletic department, who came up with a great idea.

“I love it. And it's funny, I just hope those people got to see themselves when it was shown on TV. Hopefully, they went and did a pan of the place so everybody got to see themselves.”

Later Calipari pleaded to fans at his postgame press conference to get to at least 10,000 fan cutouts.

“When I said it, we'll match the money, I'm hoping no one buys any. But I'm saying, why don't we go and let's get 10,000 and have people say, ‘Only at Kentucky.’ And they're 70 bucks. Christmas presents. Give them away for Christmas,” Calipari said. “Put your kids in the stands.”

Calipari said there had to be a way that everyone who buys one can see his or her picture at Rupp Arena.

“It will be all over ESPN … like these dudes are crazy in this town. Buy them. Buy them. Let's get 10,000,” Calipari said.
    Comments 8 Comments
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      For Blueboss...
      Thank you, sir...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Doc -
      Just purchased mine. I have mentioned my brother in law who passed away this summer, and his wife who is currently battling cancer. Did this for them
      dan_bgblue -
      Nice job Doc. That is a splendid looking cutout.
      Doc -
      anybody know if they tell you where the cutout is? We might be going to the SC game, and I would love to take a picture with the cutout at Rupp....for sentimental reasons. We are giving the cutout to my nephew (their grandson) who suffered from Muscular Dystrophy (has spent his entire life in a wheel chair) as a reminder of his grandparents
      Darrell KSR -
      Doc, that's wonderful.
      Darrell KSR -
      On your question, I looked back at the original Kentucky story on this and they just said that they would be placed in places where fans were not allowed to be seated, at their discretion. I think I would ask them now if they can let you know after they place it, and explain that you want to take the photograph when you are there. I sure hope they can accommodate that request.
      kingcat -
      That is an awesome gesture Ron!
      BigBluePappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      anybody know if they tell you where the cutout is? We might be going to the SC game, and I would love to take a picture with the cutout at Rupp....for sentimental reasons. We are giving the cutout to my nephew (their grandson) who suffered from Muscular Dystrophy (has spent his entire life in a wheel chair) as a reminder of his grandparents
      Man, it sure is getting dusty in here...
      Doc, that is an absolutely beautiful thing to do. Good on ya, sir.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post