Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Monday UK football notebook

Freshman quarterback Patrick Towles will return to the practice field Tuesday and then Kentucky coach Joker Phillips says his status for Saturday’s game at Missouri will be evaluated.

Towles was scheduled to be redshirted before an injury to starting quarterback Maxwell Smith gave him a chance to play against Mississippi State. He directed an 80-yard scoring drive on his first series and went 5-for-5 passing. However, he twisted his ankle four plays later and has not played the last two games.

“If Towles can play, he will play. It will be same situation as we did in the Mississipi State game (with rotating him and Jalen Whitlow). But again, he has not taken a snap yet. And we'll take a look and see tomorrow,” Phillips said at his Monday press conference.

Phillips says he thinks it has “definitely helped” Whitlow, who was thrust into a starting role as a true freshman when Smith was hurt, to be able to come out of games at times and watch from the sideline to allow the game to slow down for him.

“We will continue to do that and let him step away. But again, the guy (Towles) has not taken a snap yet. We don’t know anything. All he’s done is drop back in the training room. We will see on the practice field (how Towles is),” Phillips said.

Whitlow had helped UK take a lead over Georgia last week before missing the third quarter with a migraine headache that led to “distorted” vision. He returned to the game in the fourth quarter and led another scoring drive in the 29-24 loss.

Phillips laughed when asked what his thoughts were when trainer Jim Madaleno told him that Whitlow couldn’t play because of a migraine, a problem he’s had since childhood but UK did not know about until it happened during the game.

“I'm sure that's what you're thinking, too. ‘You're kidding me.’ But he says he thinks we'll get him back. He didn't know exactly when. It took two series, was out two series and was able to go back in,” Phillips said. (Whitlow is a) Tough guy. Again, he's a guy that doesn't say much. And I guarantee you he wouldn't come out if it was something that he could play with, he would have played. Just didn't feel he could help the team at that point.”

Phillips says since Madaleno and the medical staff know about the problem, they can deal with it better now.

“We understand it now, which will help us be able to deal with it,” Phillips said.

Playing time: Even though UK ran for a season-high 206 yards last week against Georgia, Phillips was disappointed that true freshman Dyshawn Mobley got only one carry. Jonathon George ran 12 times for 87 yards and Raymond Sanders 18 times for 72 yards,.

“We didn't have long enough drives that the upperclassmen needed a blow,”  Phillips said. “So he didn't get in there. We have to come up with some way to get him in there.

“Again, as you get into the game you forget all those, you forgot who was playing, come up with a different way. Maybe he goes in in the third series, but I thought as those guys get (tired) — which means he was up every series. Only happened one time that we had enough plays. One of them got dinged up that allowed him to go in. So we've got to do something else. (He’s) definitely a talent when you need to run the ball as much as we need to run now because he can use the power also. Those people have done a good job moving the pile. And he's even more of a changeup because he's more physical than even those two guys.”

Kickoff set: Kentucky’s home game with Vanderbilt on Nov. 3 will have a noon kickoff at Commonwealth Stadium and the game will be shown on ESPNU. The Wildcats play at Missouri for the first time this Saturday and that game will also have a noon start and be on ESPNU.
    Comments 6 Comments
      jazyd -
      So Towles is just there to give Whitlow a break, is that how Joker is saying it? So things can slow down for Whitlow? Now I know why Towles wasn't allowed to compete among other reasons.
      TheFabFueder -
      Just curious, if Towles were to retweak the ankle and not be able to play any more games, would that allow him the medical redshirt or would the fact he was able to practice prevent that?
      dan_bgblue -
      How in the world did the staff not know about the migraines? Do they not talk to recruits about medical conditions before they sign them? Did they ask and Whitlow hid the news or he just did not think it important enough to mention?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheFabFueder View Post
      Just curious, if Towles were to retweak the ankle and not be able to play any more games, would that allow him the medical redshirt or would the fact he was able to practice prevent that?
      Medical hardship waivers are always a touchy-feely thing. But if he retweaked the ankle in practice this week, I have near 100% confidence that he would get a medical hardship waiver. If the injury had not healed sufficiently to allow it to absorb practice, it hadn't healed, and it is a "season-ending" injury suffered in the first half of the season, with Towles playing in less than 30% of the games.

Now, I'm not a doctor, and you need a doctor to say that, and it be plausible, but I'm comfortable that would be the case. Of course, if he retweaks it in a game, the medical hardship waiver is impossible because he played in a game ni the 2nd half of the season. By definition, he would be ineligible.
      jazyd -
      dan, dan, my boy, this is the same staff that didn't know what Towles strengths were after being on campus for 3.5 months and recruiting him for 2 years of high school. Why should they know about migraines.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      How in the world did the staff not know about the migraines? Do they not talk to recruits about medical conditions before they sign them? Did they ask and Whitlow hid the news or he just did not think it important enough to mention?
      Jimcats -
      Asking a recruit specifically "Do you have headaches?" wouldn't be the most logical question during interviews, so if the player does't want it known, it most often wouldn't be. All I know is that I'd never have dared step onto the field with a migraine (something I was cursed with from early teens 'til mid-30s)---no way would I have risked taking a bump, much less a slam by a big strong 300 pounder. By the time a migraine is causing vision problems it's real hurtin' time.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post