Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• A Loss is a Loss But!!

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Kentucky gave a good account of themselves against the #13 Georgia team that was significantly bigger and supposedly more talented than the Wildcats on Saturday night. Many would say the Bulldogs were looking to the worlds largest tailgate party in the Gator Bowl against Florida. The real truth of the matter is that the Wildcats have a habit of playing the bulldogs closer than almost anyone.

Last season the Cats lost to Georgia in Athens 19-10, which was their lowest point total of the entire season. Saturday's Georgia point total of 29 is the second lowest of the season.

With the Cats playing with the youngest secondary in the league and maybe the country UK wasn't able to stop a passing game as prolifics as Georgia's. But Phillips is proud of the young guys as athletes and one thing that shows in their athleticism and that's the fact they miss very few tackles in the open field. The coach alluded to the number of plays the three freshmen played - Cody Quinn - 72; Fred Tiller - 60; and Zack Blaylock - 62.

The losing has been disheartnen to the young team but Phillips said they are playing out the string for the seniors on the team. If Saturday's performance is any indicator Joker said - "I'm sure this will let the fans know and nobody can say they have quit." As Rick Minter said coaches linger and players move on. On being 1-7 Tayler Wyndham said - "We don't look at it that way. When we win the next game we are 1-0." The imposing look Wyndham is now exhibiting represents a new start for him to back up his assersion. He has a full, dark mustache and beard and the darkened face that projects through the fasemask that say he is intimidating to the opponent. He feels like he is playing better as evident going by Saturday's performance.

Representative of the offensive line at today's presser that led a potent running game, was soft spoken true sophomore Darrian Miller. He was asked if he was surprised at their success in the running game. He said - "Not really." Was he pleased at his running mate Zack West his replacement who dinged his shoulder. "I was really proud of Tevin (Eatmon) and the way he played," Miller said of West 's replacement when he missed two series in the game.

From observance of the Georgia game an area of the team - the linebackers - seem to be improving significantly from the beginning ot the season. Miles Simpson showed a good nose for the football and he was part of the front-seven that stopped the run and managed to better get off the field on third down.

So how do the Cats parlay Saturday night's performance into a possible win on the road at Missouri?
    Comments 11 Comments
      Catonahottinroof -
      The titanic was a beautiful ship. Still sank however...
      anderwt -
      your reaching and so are the coaches....
      KSRBEvans -
      I haven't been following UK football as long as many here (I'm looking at you, Citizen ), but Saturday's game reminded me of so many games I sat through at CWS as a UK student in the 80s. I think of them as "1 more" games: 1 more stop, 1 more 1st down, 1 more score, etc., and UK will beat that SEC opponent that's ripe for the taking. Only to see it not happen. I've seen so many of those over the years that I'm numb to them by now.

What do we say when our SEC basketball opponents use that same reasoning if they have UK on the ropes at their venue? Usually something about "that's why we're UK"--our guys make plays in those situations, and theirs don't. Usually that's because UK has superior talent, superior coaching and a better tradition, so our guys expect to win those games. I think the same thing applies here. UK football usually has a much smaller margin for error in these situations.
      BigBlueBrock -
      No. A loss is a loss. No 'buts.' It was a loss.
      akaukswoosh -
      Not only a loss but one of 7 losses.
      Jimcats -
      A loss, yes. But why not give the disabled Cat ship credit for their best game of the season---a minor miracle coming on the heels of the Arkansas fiasco. Our total lack of pass rushing and DB coverage cost us the game, but.....

There must be some lineup that would allow our DL to at least hurry the QB on passing plays. Isn't there?
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      A loss, yes. But why not give the disabled Cat ship credit for their best game of the season---a minor miracle coming on the heels of the Arkansas fiasco. Our total lack of pass rushing and DB coverage cost us the game, but.....

There must be some lineup that would allow our DL to at least hurry the QB on passing plays. Isn't there?
      Apparently not
      CitizenBBN -
      BEvans, you know me. Football first, last and always.

Hey I've followed it a long time, that's why I've tended to stick to basketball.

Proud of the guys to come back after the Arkansas game and play hard and even to come out with some energy, the first time in a while we've seen that from the team.

Unfortunately as BEvans said this was game 13,248 in UK football's "Woulda, coulda, shoulda" scrapbook. I think there was a time when fans found some solace in playing well but losing, and I think those days are gone.

As much as I'm proud of the guys, and I am in every game, Georgia was ripe for the picking Saturday and we let them off the hook. They were totally looking past us to Florida and came in not terribly sharp. We should have had them. Punting twice on 4th and less than a yard? Can't beat the #15 team in the country with that thinking.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      A loss, yes. But why not give the disabled Cat ship credit for their best game of the season
      They'll get credit when they win.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      If this particular loss had come after UK had played with that kind of fire and had been coached that well all season then yes, it woudl be reason to be proud. UGA is a great offensive team and has tons of talent on defense, although they underachieve.

But that's not the case. It's been a Charlie Fox most of the year, so this particular loss and the good things the staff had them doing only makes me more certain that UK has far too much talent to be 1 and 7. These kids deserve coaches who can prepare them like that all the itme, not once in a while.
      truecatsfan -
      Wins is what fills the staduim, not morel victories
  • KSR Twitter Feed