Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Eddie Gran is Looking for Ways to Improve the Offense

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Gran started today’s presser with proclaiming that the lackluster performance starts with him.
    • He said he didn’t have them ready to play and they just got whipped.

• There’s some question as to the Pass Pro proficiency this season as an offensive line. Luke Fortner said – Landon Young and Darian Kinnard are two of the best in the game.

• “Where we have struggled is in the middle between himself, Drake (Jackson), and (Kenneth) Horsey,” Fortner said. They haven’t attained that needed cohesion.

• “We got to get a better feel for each other,” Fortner said.

• Gran said when a running back of Chris Rodriquez talent doesn’t get but ten touches he can’t excel.

• “I really like the way he is running the football now,” Gran said. I’m really excited about him.

• He said they have to strain and have a mindset. “This is an NFL schedule and you have to be ready every week.”

• Gran said they as an offensive line have been frustrated with all the twist they’ve seen. He said they are correcting some things in practice.

• He blamed himself for not taking some shots (deeper passes) earlier in the game.

• Gran said Wilson’s not practiced in two days and if he doesn’t see it they are going to go with what they have. “If I haven’t seen it in practice by Wednesday, I’ve got seven plays to call and that what we will run.”

• They haven’t average enough offensive plays over the last three games and that’s from not making first downs.

• Ask what he thought of Joey Gatewood’s performance and Gran said – “I think he’s look comfortable out there. Gatewood’s got a lot of that Stephen Johnson.”

• “I’m excited with what I see (Gatewood) and excited with what I’ve seen the last two days in practice,” Gran said.
    Comments 27 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      I like what I've read and heard about Beau Allen, I hope his first action doesn't come against powerhouse Ga
      BigBluePappy -
      • Gran said when a running back of Chris Rodriquez talent doesn’t get but ten touches he can’t excel.

• “I really like the way he is running the football now,” Gran said. I’m really excited about him.

Well, I don't know about that Eddie.
      Only you and your boss can change the number of touches the young man gets and the proof is in the pudding.
      Lip service, coach-speak or just plain old unadulterated bullsh*t...

And by the way, thanks Lonny as always.
      suncat05 -
      We were led to believe, pre-season, that the offense would be a strength.
      Bakert -
      Resign?
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I like what I've read and heard about Beau Allen, I hope his first action doesn't come against powerhouse Ga
      Terry, I love the optimism. But when fans start pinning their hopes on a third string, true freshman QB...
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
      Resign?
      Kind of what i was thinking...could be the next step.
      catmanjack -
      Don't forget homeboy 3rd string.
      catmanjack -
      When I read this from Gran my thoughts were how long have you coached?
      And I believe we have heard these same typical comments from him in the past.
      Just feel his play book is not exciting and lacks explosive plays.
      Terry Blue -
      Scored plenty while at UC and good enough to win 18 games the last 2 years. How many times have we done that in our history?
      Darrell KSR -
      That's what I don't understand. He was highly thought of as an explosive offensive coach at Cincy (at least, that was my understanding).
      dan_bgblue -
      His idea of innovation is the statue of liberty and the flea flicker. Has to save those plays for special situations.

Lonny, thank you very much for sharing the comments. You reported what was said in an unbiased manner. I do not make a penny off the football program, do not have a relative involved with the team, I do not attend any games nor contribute in any fashion. I am just a long term fan. Have been following since the days of Coach Claiborne and that is my investment other than a few shirts, hats, a jacket or two.

I only have the right of a fan to comment on the quality of the coaching of the offense and Coach Gran needs better talent available on the field to make his game plans work. Bowden, and Snell plus a decent supporting cast made the team go. They do not have that person this season to make them go. AND Coach Gran is still running plays out of the old stale play book and coaching the players in the same way. It is not working, and his excuses do not make him look good in the eyes of this fan. I want to like him, like how he coaches, and be excited about the next game.

Damnit I am not excited about anything that concerns the UK football program. Do you have any words of support for what you have seen on the field so far this season?
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post

Well, I don't know about that Eddie.
      Only you and your boss can change the number of touches the young man gets and the proof is in the pudding.
      Lip service, coach-speak or just plain old unadulterated bullsh*t...

And by the way, thanks Lonny as always.
      The run game does not work with just two running backs and Wilson. Wilson is not Bowden. Offense worked better with Gatewood, but we need at least 3 running backs to make the offense go.i know Smoke was injured. We needed McClain and Tisdale to get some touches. Rose and Rodriguez were the only backs to get touches. That will never work.

The failure of the offense is not so much the play calling as it is the utilization of personnel.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Scored plenty while at UC and good enough to win 18 games the last 2 years. How many times have we done that in our history?
      Snell and Bowden won those 18 games not Coach Gran.
      CitizenBBN -
      I think that's a good idea.

The Japanese call it Seppuku.

(yes, just a joke)
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      That's what I don't understand. He was highly thought of as an explosive offensive coach at Cincy (at least, that was my understanding).
      If I remember all the statistics that were posted here about his success at Cincy, that would be correct, and I also recall looking forward to his coaching of the UK offense. I think he moved up a level or two of opposing defensive talent when he left Cincy and moved to the SEC.
      catmanjack -
      Need to review his SEC stats, Gran has always been pretty vanilla. Believe he had a highly recruited transfer QB at UC and again UC is not the SEC.
      Maybe just maybe this could turn out to be
      Addition by subtraction.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      If I remember all the statistics that were posted here about his success at Cincy, that would be correct, and I also recall looking forward to his coaching of the UK offense. I think he moved up a level or two of opposing defensive talent when he left Cincy and moved to the SEC.
      There's certainly an argument to be made that not only did the defensive talent improve, but that the relative offensive vs defensive talent decreased when arriving at Kentucky.

Does that explain it?
      kingcat -
      Leaving Gran for a moment (I've already destroyed that horse). I do not get the sense that there is any chemistry on the team. No one appears to even like each other.

The QB could get smashed to the ground as soon as the ball is hiked and the offensive line looks like they could care less. I know cause it happens so much.
      When we help each other up one could swear down deep they wish they could knock them down again themselves.

Which player inspires you guys? For me the most dynamic and lovable player is our punter.. And he is great, but that's a problem.

These kids dont want to be here at UK imo. It happens when you recruit winners...and still lose.
      The hype has failed them. As has the staff.

All that said, I still believe in Coach Stoops. But his staff needs an upgrade
      Darrell KSR -
      There's certainly an argument to be made that not only did the defensive talent improve, but that the relative offensive vs defensive talent decreased when arriving at Kentucky.

Does that explain it?
      Oops. I mean, "Does that make sense?"
      BigBluePappy -
      Oops. I mean, "Does that make sense?"
      Nice touch, I see what you did there...
  • KSR Twitter Feed