Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Pearl: UK may not go undefeated at home this season

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Former Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl thinks Missouri, Florida and Tennessee could all be good enough to beat Kentucky in Southeastern Conference play this year. However, he still has no doubts that the Wildcats will be the league’s best overall team.

“They are so talented, so deep and John Calipari does the best job of any coach in country at getting kids to play hard and unselfishly and accept responsibility of what it means to play in that uniform,” said Pearl, who will work as an ESPN analyst this season.

However, Pearl does have one warings.

“John doesn’t have as much help coaching this team as he had a year ago. He doesn’t have Darius Miller, Terrence Jones or Doron Lamb, guys who could tell the freshmen last year not to pay attention to how John was saying things but what he was saying,” Pearl said. “John can go off on kids and challenge them. He won’t have those veteran players this year to tell the young guys not to pay attention to the man behind the curtain but to pay attention to the message he has.”
    Calipari has not lost a home game in three seasons at Kentucky. Pearl says that could change, especially in SEC play where Tennessee, Missouri and Florida all come to Rupp Arena.

“I just think it will be difficult to maintain that streak of not losing at home. Young players can be more inconsistent. Will they guard and rebound every night? Will they make clutch free throws every night, something it seems like UK has always done under John? It will be by far his youngest team and they have so many pieces that have to come together that they may well have an off night at home,” Pearl said.

Pearl said he doesn’t believe Rupp Arena intimidates opposing players. Instead, he thinks the 23,000 fans elevate the home team’s play.

“I never felt like we were intimidated by being there. Kentucky fans were so into the game and so knowledgeable and you would have 1,000 people around the floor when you had your lay-up line. Games are always on national TV. It just seems to me that Kentucky always elevates it play at home,” Pearl, who coached for 33 years, said.

As he did when he was coaching, Pearl emphasized how emotional playing in Rupp Arena always was for him.

“My eyes would water when I just walked into Rupp Arena. I was like, ‘Are you kidding me? I am coaching in Rupp Arena in front of these fans.’ It was quite as honor,” he said. “They honor the game in Kentucky. I have never coached for Kentucky. I have always coached against Kentucky going back to my days of competing against Kentucky Wesleyan.

“Kentucky was always so hard to beat, but it was the team I wanted to beat. I wanted to leave the building wanting UK fans to go, ‘You know, that team played hard and that team thought it had chance to win in our building.’ We didn’t. We only one won time in five tries. There was one occasion were embarrassed. I apologized to Kentucky fans that even though they beat us by three touchdowns, I know they were hoping for a better game and we did not give to it them.”

Pearl insists he’ll bring that same honesty and energy to his work with ESPN — and he’s hoping to get assigned to work a game in Rupp Arena.

“I don’t know about criticizing or second guessing coaches, but I will go over options. I will discuss what might be going through the coaches’ minds. Hopefully I will speak from my head as much as my heart,” Pearl said. “I want to be able to tell the viewers what to expect next and draw on my years as a coach to do that and hopefully make it fun for them to anticipate what might be getting ready to happen.”
    Comments 24 Comments
      BigBlueBrock -
      I see a lot of people mention lack of senior leadership. Are they forgetting about Julius Mays? Sure, he's not a veteran of OUR program, but he's a veteran nonetheless, and I think could be an x-factor for us this season.
      CitizenBBN -
      I really don't worry about Cal's management of the kids or them being turned off by his style. Not even close. Besides, not only do you have Kyle and Ryan who both have been there you have a very good staff of guys (3 + Strickland) and Cal has a lot of UK alum around them as well. Lots and lots of people to help steer you the right way and give you a a sounding board and perspective.

Cal's not easy on them, and he tells them that right up front. They accept it when they sign and that's the first big step in explaining why he gets such buy in. By the time they commit they're already sold on it and he's not misled them. They've agreed to come and live by those rules, where most coaches sell sunshine and unicorns till practice starts.

For all the accusations about him the grand irony is that his biggest strength is honesty with the players.

“I just think it will be difficult to maintain that streak of not losing at home.

That's true every year. We had to beat UNC and UL at home this year plus Florida. That's why 129 games is still the record. It's going to be very tough to go undefeated at home just as it was last year and the year before and the year before. Wall had to hit a last second jumper to beat Miami Ohio. You hope we do it again but no one I know thinks it's a given.
      ukpumacat -
      Bruce is probably right imo. We are the best team in the SEC, but will lose a couple/few imo, and might lose one at home. I also think experience/leadership will definitely be an issue. WIltjer and a Transfer are a big downgrade from Darius, Eloy, and 2 Sophs who played in the Final Four.
      Even our team in 2010 had more experience/leadership.
      blue2ksr -
      I agree with you, puma. I think we will experience some growing pains from time to time this season, but Cal will have us clicking on all cylinders at the right time. I just hope Cal will be able keep his job after a couple of struggles we encounter.
      KSRBEvans -
      "May" not? Wow, bold prediction there, Brucie.
      cattails -
      Harrow and Kyle are the vets that have been there and know what to expect. It will be up to them to take the place of Miller, Lamb and Jones.
      akaukswoosh -
      I just think it will be difficult to maintain that streak of not losing at home
      If it happens Cal will use the loss to improve the team.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      Bruce is probably right imo. We are the best team in the SEC, but will lose a couple/few imo, and might lose one at home. I also think experience/leadership will definitely be an issue. WIltjer and a Transfer are a big downgrade from Darius, Eloy, and 2 Sophs who played in the Final Four.
      We're absurdly young, no comparison to last year which as you said still had a senior in Miller who was a former starter and 2 more guys fresh off a final four. Half of our rotation was pretty experienced.

This is insanely inexperienced, but the games he listed are all 2 full months or more into the season, which is a lot better than November. I expect our growing pains in Nov/Dec but for things to start settling out by conference play and starting to click by mid February. Cal has said he doesn't want February play in November, he likes to build them up and time their peak. I think Florida/UT/Mizzou will be far enough out we will at least not lose due to being too raw.
      badrose -
      Nice work, Larry. I fail to say it often enough.

It's going to be another fun season, probably resembling the '11 team more than the other two. By March we'll be fine.
      Jimcats -
      We've seen enough of Cal to give our blind trust--no matter the goal. That feels good to me.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      One can never underestimate the impact of guys who played lesser roles the last two seasons , like Harrow, Wiltjer, Polson, Beckham, and Hood. They know what Cal is like and and are just as able to give guidance to the freshman.

This team doesn't have to be as good as last season's squad to win the NCAA title, they just have to be better than the competition that is out there this year and that is quite a downgrade from the competition that was faced last season.
      suncat05 -
      Even if we did lose a game or two at home(which I personally feel is possible, but not likely), by the end of the regular season and the start of Tournament time, it will not matter one little bit. JMHO.
      Edward100 -
      I would rather have Bully Knight go to the Big 10 and have Pearl call UK games.
      ukblue -
      It, as always, end up with the players playing to the limits of their gifts and learning from their coaches. Cal has shown a inordinate ability to acquire talent and coach them in such a way that their confidence matches their talent.
      elicat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Edward100 View Post
      I would rather have Bully Knight go to the Big 10 and have Pearl call UK games.
      Exactly. A little respect goes a long way. I don't know how deep it goes, but reading his quotes in that article, he does at least know what words to say.
      millsforthree -
      Polson and Twanny have been to the final four...I think folks are forgetting twanny. I think he will give some nice leadership and has SEC experience...I have witnessed him play some good games at msu so I know hes capable
      cattails -
      You know right now it is all speculation and opinion. No one knows what this team will be like. It could even be better than last years team, it could go 40-0 or it could lose 6 to 8 games and lose at home. I'm all for letting them get on the floor and see what shakes out.
      jazyd -
      Nice article Larry, and while some want to look at what we have or not have, I felt Bruce was very nice to UK in that article, very positive about Cal, the fans, the team.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Nice article Larry, and while some want to look at what we have or not have, I felt Bruce was very nice to UK in that article, very positive about Cal, the fans, the team.
      Yup.

Bruce Pearl has flaws--we all do--and there are many aspects of him I do not like. But he has been generally complimentary of UK, and from what I can tell, pretty darn objective in these interviews Larry has had with him. I have no problem with him suggesting we may not go undefeated at home this season; there is a point where we *will* lose, and I think we are more vulnerable this year than we have been, too.

BEvans is right--it's not exactly going out on a limb saying we "may" lose at home, either. But I'm fine with him suggesting it's a possibility.

I have not been able to listen to Bruce Pearl on Channel 91 XM on that show he does (I think I have the right channel), but Darryl has been complimentary of his analysis, too.

Of course, he kinda ruined it when he made friends with bakert. There are limits.
      Darrell KSR -
      Pearl was right, wasn't he?
  • KSR Twitter Feed