Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Looking For a New Coach Go West Young Man Go West

By: LONNY DEMAREE

In times like the UK football team is experiencing speculation begins to rise and everybody’s got a suggestion as to whom the new coach should be. Some speculators as per usual have a friend or a connection to someone who has reason to know. All of this is generated on the assumption that Joker Phillips will be terminated.

Only one person Mitch Barnhart knows for sure what’s on the agenda for the coaching position for future years and he might be in a quandary. But while the speculation is running wild let us dissect the coaching situation as we see it. Is it fair to Joker Phillips because as of now he has a job but he understands the drill and as he said many times, he knows what he signed up for when he got into the business of coaching?

Names that are flying around as potential coaches are, in no particular order, are Washington State head coach Mike Leach who runs a high scoring offense. But has an eccentric personality and is litigious.

Bobby Petrino has serious character flaws and has been an athletic director’s nightmare

Former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressell. He is under a 5-year show-cause penalty and if hired by the University would have to appeal to the NCAA to allow him to coach.

Louisiana Tech head Sonny Dykes is hot but if hired he would have to get a different offensive coordinator because it’s very questionable whether UK would allow Tony Franklin to return.

Phil Fulmer 62-year old, who is anxious to get back into coaching and is a name that UK could pay his salary. Objectors on the basis of age should ask Bill Snyder, 72-years old, at Kansas State if he’s too old. He did it once, retired, the program went down and he came out of retirement and he built it back again.

Duke head coach David Cutcliffe, who is doing a good job at Duke but never stirred any excitement juices in Kentucky fans.

Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart but why would he leave the Crimson Tide for UK. But perhaps money could sway him. He is already making a handy salary without the pressure. And the list goes on.

But notice all of the names circulating are east of the Mississippi river. Mitch Barnhart has connections on the west coast side of the country and he would quite possibly bring someone in from that side of the country. My exploration has led me to San Jose State that is doing well at the present. Their head coach is Mike MacIntyre, 47-years old. He has a mixture of experience on both sides of the ball though he has a wealth of experience on the defensive side. Fans thirst for offense at UK however consistently strong defense hasn’t been seen at UK since Jerry Claiborne’s wide-tackle-six defense. He worked as the Dallas Cowboys defensive backs coach 2003-’06; worked as the New York Jets defensive backs coach 2007; Duke’s defensive coordinator 2008-’09; wide receiver ‘s coach at Ole Miss 1999-’02. SJS is posting national success in the defensive stats. So stay tuned.
    Comments 22 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks very much Lonny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_MacIntyre
      blue2ksr -
      No offense guys, but his record there so far strongly resembles a UK head football coach record.

Good work there though, Lonny!

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
      San Jose State (WAC) (2009–present)
      2010 San Jose State 1–12 0–8 9th
      2011 San Jose State 5–7 3-4 4th (tie)
      2012 San Jose State 4-2 0-1
      San Jose State: 10–21 3-13
      Total: 10-21
      dan_bgblue -
      blue2, there is one major difference in coaching records imo. Coach Phillips is trending down, and MacIntyre is trending up.
      dtalbersjr -
      That would be a terrible hire, so I'm sure he's right at the top of Mitch's list.
      akaukswoosh -
      Macintyre post game interview.
      akaukswoosh -
      2012 San Jose State 4-2 0-1

Went to ranked Stanford the first game of this season and lost by 3 points. That's a pretty good turnaround in 3rd year.
      ukpumacat -
      I still don't get why Chad Morris does not get more play on here. The guy is an up and comer. I believe that for UK to compete, it has to be on the offensive end. We are simply not going to get the athletes to shut down the big boys. But, we can craft an offensive scheme that gets us wins.
      akaukswoosh -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      I still don't get why Chad Morris does not get more play on here. The guy is an up and comer. I believe that for UK to compete, it has to be on the offensive end. We are simply not going to get the athletes to shut down the big boys. But, we can craft an offensive scheme that gets us wins.
      For me, after BG and Mumme, no more Texas good ole boys.
      ukpumacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
      For me, after BG and Mumme, no more Texas good ole boys.
      I choose to forget those two. When I think of Texas, I now think of the Harrisons.
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Lonny.
      blue2ksr -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      blue2, there is one major difference in coaching records imo. Coach Phillips is trending down, and MacIntyre is trending up.

I'm not just talking about Joker, I'm talking about all of our coaches for about the past 50 years, I'm sad to say.......

I completely understand you point, though, and you are right!

Carolinawildcats -
      Duke fans are worried about losing Cutcliffe. He loves it here in Durham and to me, Duke is program that suits him. I don't see him at a big time powerhouse, but Duke fans are most concerned about UT. IMO, he is not UT material. They want a much bigger fish. I think right now, UK is just look for "A" fish.

Peace

Richard (CW)
      truecatsfan -
      I know i will get drilled for this, but while the boys was in Ark. Joker went and watched some recurit play. Im not still conviced Mitch will fire him after the season. Dont get me wrong i wont him gone yesturday.
      anderwt -
      Quote Originally Posted by truecatsfan View Post
      I know i will get drilled for this, but while the boys was in Ark. Joker went and watched some recurit play. Im not still conviced Mitch will fire him after the season. Dont get me wrong i wont him gone yesturday.
      Me neither

But Phil Fulmer is the guy I want...hungry and look at bill Snyder , he has 10--12 years left in him..one more thing on fulmer, could he bring the LSU d coordinator?
      truecatsfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      Me neither

But Phil Fulmer is the guy I want...hungry and look at bill Snyder , he has 10--12 years left in him..one more thing on fulmer, could he bring the LSU d coordinator?
      The thing for Fulmer is he can recurit and has alot of ties in the south
      Catonahottinroof -
      UK won't pay what Chavis makes at LSU for a coordinator position. He makes over 1 mil per season at LSU.
      millsforthree -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
      UK won't pay what Chavis makes at LSU for a coordinator position. He makes over 1 mil per season at LSU.
      Chavis will get a look from what I was told...former UT boy with Barnhart. Good coach.
      Catonahottinroof -
      Quote Originally Posted by millsforthree View Post
      Chavis will get a look from what I was told...former UT boy with Barnhart. Good coach.
      As a head coach, or as coordinator? My reference was if Fulmer came, would he bring Chavis too. I don't think UK would pay that kind of coin to a coordinator.
      LarryVaught1 -
      UK has had some contact with him. Trust me on this . Not sure what could happen, but some back channel talks have gone on
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      UK has had some contact with him. Trust me on this . Not sure what could happen, but some back channel talks have gone on
      McIntyre or Chavis? Please say Chavis.
  • KSR Twitter Feed