Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Rupp subject a controversial one

By LARRY VAUGHT

As soon as new broke that the faculty of the University of Kentucky 's African American and Africana Studies program wanted to change the name of Rupp Arena because the name stood for “racism and exclusion” that “alienates” black students and fans you knew it not only was going to create national headlines but also create controversy with UK fans.

I tried reaching out to several former UK basketball players and some coaches for their thoughts on changing the name of Rupp Arena. None wanted to be quoted by name.

“If you defend coach Rupp, you are damned. If you don’t, you are damned,” one player who played for Rupp said. “All this is above my pay grade. That is something powers to be in the city have to decide. I would refer anybody to Dick Gabriel’s two-hour special on Rupp. It is pretty clear there. I would just say whether his name is on the arena or not, get the facts straight.”

That’s what WKYT-TV’s Dick Gabriel wanted to do in a 2005 documentary, “Adolph Rupp: Myth, Legend and Fact.” It provided a lot of information from how Rupp was coaching a high school team in Illinois when he was hired at UK and that team had a black player.* He hired assistant coach Neil reed in 1960 to help recruit African-American players and Rupp once asked the UK president to leave the SEC so he could recruit black players. The documentary also went in depth on how Rupp tried his best to sign in-state black players Wesley Unseld and Butch Beard before both picked Louisville.

I was at the 2012 Kentucky High School Athletic Association Hall of Fame induction when Jim Tucker of Paris Western High School was being inducted. He told me that Rupp wanted to recruit him in 1950 but was prevented from doing so by integration laws at the time. Tucker revealed how Rupp helped him a scholarship to Duquesne. He earned All-American honors and then played on a NBA championship team his rookie year.

“I spent an enormous amount of time with Coach (Rupp) from 1969 till he passed, and I can tell you from experience he was not a racist,” Kentucky fan John Ferguson said Thursday. “These people need to talk to the people that knew him and also do their research before making racial attacks on a great man.”

Another UK fan, Tai Doram, posted this on my Facebook page: “I knew his son and play junior high ball with his grandson. They were excellent individuals. Rupp was a product of his generation. I say leave Arena as Rupp and rename the facility to honor diversity.”

One coach who coached against Rupp said he “never said anything or gave me any signs” he was a racist.

“I heard the rumor but there are a lot of people in the SEC who should have their names removed from all records because none were recruiting black athletes at the time,” the coach said. “Rupp did recruit the second African-American player (Tom Payne) to play in the SEC.

“The people who should be chastised are the ones who put the rule (not to recruit blacks) in the first place. The times I was with him or talked to him there was never any indication to me (he was a racist). It’s not like we were close but I did talk to him a lot over the years.”

Racist rumors about Rupp has been around a long, long time. However, so has information from many that indicates the rumors were not true.

Everyone has their opinion — and should be entitled to that. I was more than a bit surprised that the three former players and two coaches I contacted Friday didn’t want to be quoted by name because the subject is so controversial today.

Obviously I don’t know what Rupp did or didn’t say or do 40, 50, 60 or 70 years ago. I do know what Tucker told me face to face about eight years ago when we were talking about his career and how grateful he was for what Rupp did for him.

Hopefully those asking for this change and those who will have to decide if there should be a change have a lot of verified information to help make the correct decision.
    Comments 5 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      By LARRY VAUGHT

Everyone has their opinion — and should be entitled to that.
      I could not disagree more with this statement.

You are not entitled to an opinion that is factually incorrect, poorly researched and ruins the reputation of someone simply b/c "everyone is entitled to their opinion." If you've done your homework, read the documentation that is available, and then conclude based on facts that Rupp is racist, then OK. I disagree b/c that means you are believing hearsay and accusations more than a body of factual actions the man took that prove otherwise, but OK.

But the notion that anyone should have an opinion about anything "just because", without doing their homework, is IMO wrong. It's wrong here and it's wrong generally.

Is everyone entitled to their opinion that Covid isn't real and therefore we shouldn't take precautions? Well no, b/c that decision has implications beyond the wellbeing of just that one person. Well, so does this.

I never knew the man, I can't "know" what any person is or isn't that I don't know, but objective reasoning based on the evidence at hand shows that he did a lot of positive things for minority players through the years, and that he wanted to recruit and have them play for him as early as 1950, well ahead of the Civil Rights movement.

But either way, this modern social media mobocracy where people with no knowledge who have made no effort to get any nonetheless feel comfortable passing judgement on others is a dangerous road for this nation, far beyond the controversy over a single sports coach.
      Darrell KSR -
      Good points, CBBN.

I'm often fond of saying reasonable minds can differ, but to get to that point, your mind--and your opinion--should still be a reasonable one.
      LakeCat -
      They want to use the Rupp name change demand to leverage their real goal of 15% Black faculty, guaranteed positions etc. They will let the name change go if UK caves into these other demands. So they get 15 % Black faculty in a state that has a 8% Black population. Seriously doubt they could get 8% qualified professors.
      dan_bgblue -
      Seriously doubt they could get 8% qualified professors.
      If they get their way that will not be important to them nor will it matter to the University
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
      They want to use the Rupp name change demand to leverage their real goal of 15% Black faculty, guaranteed positions etc. They will let the name change go if UK caves into these other demands. So they get 15 % Black faculty in a state that has a 8% Black population. Seriously doubt they could get 8% qualified professors.
      It got a lot of media coverage, IMO that's why it was included. As you said it's a great chip, very high profile,and costs nothing to give up but gives lots of leverage.

And it may very well be sincere, but it's politically great for attention and costs nothing economically to give up in a negotiation over salaries, ratios, and things that would actually impact the student body and faculty directly.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post