Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Gabriel entitled to his opinion, but Calipari did nothing wrong

By LARRY VAUGHT

During Wenyen Gabriel’s two years at Kentucky I certainly never sensed that he had a major problem with coach John Calipari.

I knew Gabriel didn’t get to play as much as he wanted — but that happens with a lot of players. He certainly showed at times he had big-time talent but at other times was not nearly physical enough.

Count me as one who was surprised when he left UK after his sophomore year for the NBA but it has seemed to work out okay because he’s now with the Portland Trail Blazers. He was also popular with UK fans when he left.

However, Gabriel’s honesty as made him a villain with many UK fans and that only intensified this weekend when Gabriel responded after coach John Calipari wished former UK center Bam Adebayo on social media. Adebayo, who now plays for Miami, and Gabriel were in the same UK recruiting class.

“Damn where was my bday wish in March?” Gabriel posted on social media with a laughing emoji.

Some former UK players could have done that and it might have been funny. But remember when UK was recruiting Jaden McDaniels of Washington and Gabriel basically told McDaniels in text messages that he would not recommend Kentucky because of false promises Calipari made to him.

“Don’t fall in love with his words let me tell you the real!” Gabriel texted along with much more biting criticism.

Gabriel insisted he tried to reach out to Calipari to apologize before the comments went public but didn’t get to talk to his former coach.

Kentucky fans let Gabriel know on social media that they did not appreciate his birthday comment to Calipari. Gabriel told fans on Instagram he “gave everything I had” when he played at UK but that he “didn’t like playing” for Calipari.

Calipari seldom has been criticized by former players. Most have embraced what he did for them. Does this make Gabriel wrong for feeling how he does? No. Does this mean Calipari did something wrong? No.

It just means this time there’s a former player not enamored with his former coach and Gabriel certainly is entitled to his opinion.
    Comments 5 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      He's entitled to an opinion.

But, it's a pretty clear unwritten rule that players AND coaches should not air their dirty laundry. When he texted a recruit to try to dissuade him, that was a major major shot at Cal that goes beyond having an opinion.

Now he again takes an unprovoked shot at Cal, basically calling Cal out for ending the relationship after he actively told a player to not come play for Cal.

All of this goes way past having an opinion. I'm sure Cal has an opinion of Gabriel as well, but we've never seen it aired publicly, which is how these things are handled in that world unless you want what happened, which is permanently severed ties.
      catmanjack -
      Wasn’t he thought to be a Duke lean at one point that could explain why he believes he is so entitled.
      Soft is putting it mildly!
      KSRBEvans -
      I can't understand why Cal would cut Gabriel off after Gabriel actively worked against Cal with a recruit! What a meanie!

I'm not sure my eyes can roll far enough back in my head to adequately reflect the disdain I have for Gabriel's position on this.

But yes, he has the right to be wrong. Ultimately he's just hurting himself. Cal could've helped open so many doors for him.
      snoopcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Soft and could not defend a lamp post. My opinion, and one I am entitled to. Maybe I should post that on twitter. I bet he would not appreciate it. Sounds like he is one of those woke, its all about me generation people so he should feel right at home in Portland. Maybe he can get a flat in CHAZ or CHOP...or whatever they want to call it
      Good stuff! My sentiments exactly
      dan_bgblue -
      Maybe he can get a flat in CHAZ or CHOP...or whatever they want to call it
      They could rename it FLOP and he would fit right in
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post