Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Former UK All-American Walker concerned about E.J. Montgomery's decision

By LARRY VAUGHT

Former Kentucky All-American Kenny Walker certainly understands what it takes to succeed in the NBA and based on potential, he thinks Kentucky sophomore EJ Montgomery could find success. However, he has worries about Montgomery opting to keep his name in the draft.

"His overall body of work is not overly impressive. He might have needed a page out of Nick Richards' book. Have a good summer, get in shape, get healthy and come back (to UK) with a renewed attitude," Walker said.

"But a lot of NBA teams draft on potential. Some teams apparently loved him last year. If they fell in love last year, he will probably get some looks and somebody will probably take a chance (and draft him). But EJ is the one play I hoped would stay another year (at UK)."

With the departure of P.J. Washington and Reid Travis off the 2018-19 team, Walker thought Montgomery would be the player to step into the spotlight last season. It never happened.

"I really thought he would be the leading scorer on the team," Walker said. "I thought with the ability he had he would be the man for the Cats. I think getting hurt (ankle) early set him back. I thought he would be the team's X-factor. If he had played to his potential, UK could have been great.

"I really thought if he was playing to the maximum of his ability he would put up 25 to 30 points a game along with 11 to 13 rebounds. But at times he missed shots and then would get reluctant to shoot. When he ran the court and played hard to his max, he could put up big numbers and that's what he'll have to do in the NBA."
    Comments 10 Comments
      UKFlounder -
      25-30 points and 11-13 rebounds per game?

And I thought we normal fans had unrealistic expectations.
      Darrell KSR -
      Well, I viewed that as hyperbole to make his point. I don't hold him to that as a specific prediction, just a disappointment that he never exerted the effort to achieve what he is capable of achieving.
      ebarbaau -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      By LARRY VAUGHT

Former Kentucky All-American Kenny Walker certainly understands what it takes to succeed in the NBA and based on potential, he thinks Kentucky sophomore EJ Montgomery could find success. However, he has worries about Montgomery opting to keep his name in the draft.

"His overall body of work is not overly impressive. He might have needed a page out of Nick Richards' book. Have a good summer, get in shape, get healthy and come back (to UK) with a renewed attitude," Walker said.

"But a lot of NBA teams draft on potential. Some teams apparently loved him last year. If they fell in love last year, he will probably get some looks and somebody will probably take a chance (and draft him). But EJ is the one play I hoped would stay another year (at UK)."

With the departure of P.J. Washington and Reid Travis off the 2018-19 team, Walker thought Montgomery would be the player to step into the spotlight last season. It never happened.

"I really thought he would be the leading scorer on the team," Walker said. "I thought with the ability he had he would be the man for the Cats. I think getting hurt (ankle) early set him back. I thought he would be the team's X-factor. If he had played to his potential, UK could have been great.

"I really thought if he was playing to the maximum of his ability he would put up 25 to 30 points a game along with 11 to 13 rebounds. But at times he missed shots and then would get reluctant to shoot. When he ran the court and played hard to his max, he could put up big numbers and that's what he'll have to do in the NBA."
      sounds like he was comparing E.J.'S talent to a skinny kid from Georgia who came to UK back in the early 1980's ? not even close talent wise imo
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by ebarbaau View Post
      sounds like he was comparing E.J.'S talent to a skinny kid from Georgia who came to UK back in the early 1980's ? not even close talent wise imo
      The bigger contrast is in attitude, work ethic and effort. Kenny was a great player because he gave superior effort all the time.
      Philly Cat -
      Nobody in NCAA basketball defended EJ better than EJ himself.
      Patrick541 -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      25-30 points and 11-13 rebounds per game?

And I thought we normal fans had unrealistic expectations.
      Yeah so basically Kenny walker though we had a dormant Michael Beasley on our team? Lol
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      Nobody in NCAA basketball defended EJ better than EJ himself.
      No one has made a better observation about the player than this
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      The bigger contrast is in attitude, work ethic and effort. Kenny was a great player because he gave superior effort all the time.
      Absolutely.

For those that think E.J. lacked talent, I submit that he lacked what Keith posted, and what Kenny was describing. Put E.J.'s ability with Kenny's work ethic and drive, and you have similar, if not better, results. Kenny could jump out of the gym, but his shot wasn't what E.J.'s was; he couldn't handle the ball like E.J., and the reason he had strength was because he built it that way.

And Kenny was consensus 1st team All-American. Of course, that was his senior year; something EJ will never see.

I know we're pooh-poohing E.J. Montgomery's ability, but his ability should not be in question.
      Darrell KSR -
      By the way, an apples to apples comparison....Kenny Walker didn't AVERAGE 25 to 30 points per game, either, of course. But his senior year, two years down the road from EJ, two years further in the S&C program; two years more in game playing, and he DID have games where he scored 32, 28, 32, 25, 31, 25, 26, and 33 his senior year.

I think people are missing the point here. He's saying E. J. could have been Kenny Walker. It requires opening your mind (and imagination), because we didn't see the same intangible qualities in E. J. that Kenny possessed, not only on the court, but off, which was the driving force behind his performances.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Absolutely.

For those that think E.J. lacked talent, I submit that he lacked what Keith posted, and what Kenny was describing. Put E.J.'s ability with Kenny's work ethic and drive, and you have similar, if not better, results. Kenny could jump out of the gym, but his shot wasn't what E.J.'s was; he couldn't handle the ball like E.J., and the reason he had strength was because he built it that way.

And Kenny was consensus 1st team All-American. Of course, that was his senior year; something EJ will never see.

I know we're pooh-poohing E.J. Montgomery's ability, but his ability should not be in question.
      EJ showed us glimpses of what he could be with dedication and effort. Dedication and effort are what allows guys to maximize their skill and ability.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post