Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Calipari named SEC Coach of the Year; Quickley Player of the Year, Richards, Maxey

also named to teams.

2020 SEC MEN’S BASKETBALL AWARDS ANNOUNCED

Birmingham, Ala. – The Southeastern Conference unveiled its men’s basketball coaches’ postseason awards Tuesday.

Kentucky’s John Calipari earned SEC Coach of the Year honors and Kentucky’s Immanuel Quickley was selected the SEC Player of the Year by the league’s coaches. LSU’s Skylar Mays earned SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year; Georgia’s Anthony Edwards was tabbed SEC Freshman of the Year; Mississippi State’s Tyson Carter was voted SEC Sixth Man of the Year; and Tennessee’s Yves Pons was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

First-team and second-team All-SEC honorees, All-Freshman team, All-Defensive team, along with Player, Coach and Freshman, Defensive, Sixth-Man and Scholar-Athlete of the Year were chosen by the league’s 14 coaches. Ties were not broken.

A complete list of the 2020 SEC Men’s Basketball postseason awards follows:

First Team All-SEC

Kira Lewis Jr., Alabama
    Mason Jones, Arkansas
    Samir Doughty, Auburn
    Keyontae Johnson, Florida
    Immanuel Quickley, Kentucky
    Nick Richards, Kentucky
    Skylar Mays, LSU
    Breein Tyree, Ole Miss
    Reggie Perry, Mississippi State

Second Team All-SEC

John Petty Jr., Alabama
    Isaac Okoro, Auburn
    Kerry Blackshear Jr., Florida
    Anthony Edwards, Georgia
    Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky
    Maik Kotsar, South Carolina
    John Fulkerson, Tennessee
    Saben Lee, Vanderbilt

All-Freshman Team

Jaden Shackelford, Alabama
    Isaac Okoro, Auburn
    Scottie Lewis, Florida
    Anthony Edwards, Georgia
    Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky
    Trendon Watford, LSU
    Jermaine Couisnard, South Carolina
    Scotty Pippen Jr., Vanderbilt

All-Defensive Team

Herbert Jones, Alabama
    Isaac Okoro, Auburn
    Ashton Hagans, Kentucky
    Nick Richards, Kentucky
    Yves Pons, Tennessee

Coach of the Year: John Calipari, Kentucky

Player of the Year: Immanuel Quickley, Kentucky

Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Skylar Mays, LSU

Freshman of the Year: Anthony Edwards, Georgia

Sixth-Man of the Year: Tyson Carter, Mississippi State

Defensive Player of the Year: Yves Pons, Tennessee
    Comments 17 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Really happy for Calipari, too. Hopefully he'll follow with national honors.

FWIW, I don't buy the bit about just meeting expectations because you were such an incredible recruiter as somehow diminishing the job you did as a head coach. It's the whole package. And we've seen other teams with superior talent do far worse, so recruiting the team, training/practicing the team, motivating the team, and coaching the team in the games to wins are all part of it.

Would I ever vote for a coach with inferior talent who overachieved as Coach of the Year? Absolutely. If Tennessee had finished 2nd, a game behind Kentucky or something like that, could Rick Barnes have gotten my vote? Yes, I have some leeway there. But just picking a 2nd place, 3rd place, 4th place team as Coach of the Year because their coach didn't recruit as well, or didn't retain players as well, or whatever, but managed to win more games than the pundits thought?

Nah. Not me. I don't buy that way of thinking.
      Darrell KSR -
      Calipari has won three previous SEC Coach of the Year honors:

Not bad years.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quickley is Kentucky's 5th SEC Player of the Year since John Calipari became head coach, and the second sophomore.

2010 - John Wall
      2012 - Anthony Davis
      2016 - Tyler Ulis
      2017 - Malik Monk
      2020 - Immanuel Quickley
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Quickley is Kentucky's 5th SEC Player of the Year since John Calipari became head coach, and the second sophomore.

2010 - John Wall
      2012 - Anthony Davis
      2016 - Tyler Ulis
      2017 - Malik Monk
      2020 - Immanuel Quickley
      Thank you, I was just wondering that. Wait a minute? How did we not have the SEC POTY in 2015?

Happy for all our guys, but maybe right this minute just a wee bit happier for Ashton to get on the All-Defensive team just so he doesn't feel "left out." I know, there should not be tropies for "Participation" but he has certainly earned that help get his head back on straight after the last two weeks or so, I am a fan of.
      UKHistory -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Glad to see Nick get first team, and All-Defensive team.
      Nick was tremendous and deserves all the recognition.
      catmanjack -
      Would have been good with Nick getting POY.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      AP had a totally different take. No individual awards for UK. Quickley and Nick were 1st team though.

Congrats to all!
      UKFlounder -
      Platooning

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
      Thank you, I was just wondering that. Wait a minute? How did we not have the SEC POTY in 2015?

UKFlounder -
      AP awards:

https://t.co/LI2vilSbQI?amp=1

Mason Jones (Arkansas) and Reggie Perry (Mississippi State) were named SEC Co-Players of the Year by the AP, who also tabbed Buzz Williams of Texas A&M as its SEC Coach of the Year.
      UKRxman93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      AP awards:

https://t.co/LI2vilSbQI?amp=1

Mason Jones (Arkansas) and Reggie Perry (Mississippi State) were named SEC Co-Players of the Year by the AP, who also tabbed Buzz Williams of Texas A&M as its SEC Coach of the Year.
      Wow! Quite a difference.
      catmanjack -
      Coaches vs Media, think the coaches got this one right.
      KSRBEvans -
      Arkansas fans are ticked about the coaches POY choice, which just shows how far their program has slipped IMHO. That's really all they've got now.
      KSRBEvans -
      BTW, is there some reason we have to have 63 people on the 1st and 2nd teams? 5 on the 1st, 5 on the 2nd. No participation trophies.
      UKFlounder -
      Coaches like participation trophies apparently. That is why I usually pay more attention to the AP awards, though Buzz Williams seems like a questionable selection

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      BTW, is there some reason we have to have 63 people on the 1st and 2nd teams? 5 on the 1st, 5 on the 2nd. No participation trophies.
      Catfan73 -
      Seriously? Buzz Williams? For what, taking them from 11th to 7th lol? Kennedy won more than 16 games all but two of his eight years there and they fired him.
      Darrell KSR -
      IIRC, many years ago they started the 8-man teams. Rather than have a 1st team, 2nd team, and 3rd team, they had two 8-man teams.

Gets one more player recognition, and I think the idea is that there often isn't such a clear dividing line when you're talking about an entire conference between player # 5 and player # 6. I know, the same argument goes for player # 8 and player # 9, but it seems they think fewer players are affected by that (sort of like those that claim that the college football playoff issue will be solved if we go to 8 teams, rather than 4).

And I might be making this part up, but I want to say that the year before they did it, they had some massive tie toward the bottom of the first team, which sorta led them naturally to it.

FWIW, I'm not particularly offended by it. Now, if they went to 3 teams of 8 players each, enough is enough. But rather than having a 1st team consist of 5 players, but sometimes 6 or 7 because of ties, fine--go with 8, and just leave it there.

It isn't what I would do, but not offended by it, either.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      Seriously? Buzz Williams? For what, taking them from 11th to 7th lol? Kennedy won more than 16 games all but two of his eight years there and they fired him.
      I was just commenting on the absurdity (or at least, my lack of support for) picking a coach as Coach of the Year just because his team did a little better than what pundits thought they would do.

Well, I guess they wanted to accomodate me with a real-time example. Good gracious, that's a bad pick. Not saying he did a bad job, or disagreeing that he did a good job. But no way, no how, was it a better job than Calipari did.

Ridiculous.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post