Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Missouri game may be the most important of Nick Richards career

By LARRY VAUGHT

Today might be the most important game of Nick Richards' Kentucky basketball career when the Cats host Missouri this afternoon.

The junior center is coming off a spectacular game in the overtime win over Louisville when he had 13 points, 10 rebounds and 11 drawn fouls. It was the best he's played in a spotlight game, especially when he shined in overtime.

Now can he sustain that effort?

Kentucky assistant coach Tony Barbee said Friday that Richards had been "good" in practice all week.

"He’s been good, but we need carry over. I think that’s one of the things that Nick has struggled with is consistency. He’s done it in spots, but to be the kind of player that he wants to be, where he’s trying to take himself to, his game to, where he wants to go in this game, he’s got to be able to do it on an everyday basis," Barbee said.

"That’s not just game-to-game, that’s practice-to-practice, and that’s what brings it out. This week he’s been great, and I think his confidence is building off of what he did against a really good Louisville team and really good big men he did it against.”

Why didn't he do that the previous two games, losses to Utah and Ohio State?

“That’s a good question. When Nick is out here you can ask him. He’ll have that answer," Barbee said.

Richards didn't exactly have the answer but said he understands the coaches are just trying to make him better and that coach John Calipari will never be satisfied with his performance because he wants Richards to always strive to do more.

“He always thinks you have more in the tank. That’s just him being a good coach," Richards said.

Richards knows Barbee wants him to be the " complete opposite of my personality" on the court.

"He wants me to be more aggressive, more physical, meaner, tougher," Richards said.

So what did happen against Louisville?

"I would probably just say I took it up a notch, got to a different level because I knew it was a very important game for Kentucky, especially just to win that one game," Richards said.

Now it's a "very important game" for Richards to show that he can back up one sensational performance with more big-time performances starting today.
    Comments 3 Comments
      BigBluePappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Looking for him to string together consistent efforts.
      That is all I ask, and the nightly double double.

Catfan73 -
      This ain’t the nba where the players have to kind of pace themselves with an 82 game schedule. He needs to realize that EVERY game is an important game or he can forget about lasting more than a couple of years in the G league, much less the nba.
      kingcat -
      I think he just has a touch of that laid back Jamaican attitude which he has had a hard time overcoming.
      Heck, I have a bit of it myself, from here in The Knobs.

He can be explosive from a physical standpoint but, like another Jamaican (Samardo Samuels) who recently played for U of L, it's not something that comes naturally for him.

Nick has really improved in that area however.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post