Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: National perception of Kentucky continues to rise

By LARRY VAUGHT

In case you wonder what beating Virginia Tech in the Belk Bowl might do the national perception of Kentucky football, let legendary Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster to explain.

“This team that we played, they beat Penn State last year in the Citrus Bowl. This is a quality football team and Mark Stoops has done a great job,” Foster said after UK’s 37-30 victory. “You saw two teams compete out there today, and it was a hard-fought, physical football game. Unfortunately, we came up on the short end of the stick.”

A lot of teams have been doing that. In the last four years, Kentucky has won 32 games. Think about that — 32 games in four years for Stoops. Only four SEC teams have more wins in that same period.

Kentucky flexed its muscle with an 85-yard, eight-minute drive that ended with a Lynn Bowden touchdown pass to Josh Ali in the final seconds to win the game. Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente said it was not lack of effort by his players that led to UK’s drive.

“We were straining our tails off. We had guys all over the place in the game. We had been on the field a large portion of the fourth quarter. We just couldn’t get off the field in the end,” Fuente said. “It wasn’t like they were ripping off big chunk yardage plays. They just executed a little better and continued to inch the ball down the field.”

Most of that execution was because of Bowden, who once again ran for over 200 yards in his final UK game.

“That’s what he’s done to everybody. He’s a great player. He’s competitive. He’s tough, he’s strong. He never looks like he’s in a hurry out there. He’s patient. He’s an explosive and physical player. He’s a competitor,” Fuente said.

Foster was just in lavish of his praise of Bowden, who also competed a fourth-down pass to Ali to keep the game-winning drive alive.

“A really special football player. Tremendous skill set. We couldn’t get him to throw the ball enough. That was the bottom line. If we could ever do that, we would have them where we wanted them,” Foster said.

“We had some opportunities to get some stops and finish the game, and we didn’t. We had fourth-and-5 or fourth-and-6, in that range, and that was the one completion he had, wasn’t it? I don’t know how many he had ...

“My hat’s off to Kentucky. They fought their tail off, and to their coaching staff, they did a great job of putting him into position and then putting an offense around him. Just a really special athlete (Bowden).”
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post