Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Can Montgomery become what Kentucky needs?

By LARRY VAUGHT

Maybe too much was expected from Kentucky sophomore forward EJ Montgomery when he was picked as a preseason second team all-Southeastern Conference selection after averaging just 3.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 15.1 minutes per game last season.

The feeling was that UK didn’t need the 6-9 Montgomery to be a consistent scorer/rebounder last year because the Cats had P.J. Washington and Nate Sestina. With both gone this year, the Cats needed more from Montgomery but are not getting it.

He combined for 41 points and 17 rebounds in wins over UAB and Fairleigh Dickinson. He was a combined 19 for 29 from the field and had more blocked shots — 3 - than turnovers — 1.

But where has he been the last three games, including the losses to Utah and Ohio State in the last two games. He has 12 points on 6-for-14 shooting, 18 rebounds and just one blocked shot in 77 minutes.

He needed 17 minutes to get his first shot against Ohio State and two of his four shots came late in the game. Kentucky just can’t win with that happening.

So what’s going on with Montgomery that he can’t get more shots and get involved in UK’s offense?

“Well one of the things is you can offensive rebound and go get shots, so now you don't have to worry about someone passing you the ball. Just say I'm going to rebound offensively,” Kentucky coach John Calipari said after the Ohio State loss.

“The second thing is fight in the post where we can throw it to you. Now it becomes so it's obvious that you got to get it. Last game he begged me (for the ball), like get me it in the block.

“Today we tried to run a couple things to him, couple of things to Nick (Richards), but it didn't materialize because that guy worked harder than they did. You got to work harder than that guy to get open than he is working to keep you to not catch it. And it's all what we're going through. This is normal, it's just, you know, you would rather learn from close wins.”

Question is, will Montgomery do it? Kentucky certainly needs him to score, rebound, fight or anything else he can do when it hosts No. 3 Louisville Saturday in what might not be a must game but certainly is close since UK *has already lost three games.
    Comments 7 Comments
      Powermaker -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Agreed. It has to be Maxey. Maybe we need to put him in position to do it.
      So you don't think launching 30 foot three pointers is the answer ? lol
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Powermaker View Post
      So you don't think launching 30 foot three pointers is the answer ? lol
      Obviously you have no clue either. LOL
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      He seems to have mpre a Taysaun Prince attitude / approach to the game. It can work but most often it does not. This should be no surprise to the staff as he was like thst since his freshman year at Montverde
      Tay played a lot harder than EJ does. EJ’s biggest issue is he is a tin man, no heart.
      Catfan73 -
      Start Hagans-Quickley-Maxey-Sestina-Richards. Brooks the first off the bench. Tell EJ and Kahlil they’ll play when they prove they’re adding to the team and not subtracting from it.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      Start Hagans-Quickley-Maxey-Sestina-Richards. Brooks the first off the bench. Tell EJ and Kahlil they’ll play when they prove they’re adding to the team and not subtracting from it.
      I think that is generally the answer too. And I think Richards will play much better (if not in foul trouble) without EJ on the court.
      Louisville size is likely going to prevent that however.

EJ probably will be matched up against Williams at 6' 11", 245 lbs while Nick guards the big man Enoch much of the time.

But the bigger problem is that Louisville shoots the three about as well as a team can with several shooting over 40%. Fighting through screens will be a must and Nick is going to need to stay at home in the paint and on the boards.
      That concerns me most. U of L has that balance in their line up that great teams do. Solid inside, a star wing, and great perimeter shooting
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      I think that is generally the answer too. And I think Richards will play much better (if not in foul trouble) without EJ on the court.
      Louisville size is likely going to prevent that however.
      I am very concerned about Nick getting in foul trouble today. It will be a physical game
      catmanjack -
      Oh you can count on nick playing about 15-18 mins
  • KSR Twitter Feed