Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Zion Harmon under watchful eyes at Marshall County Hoopfest

By LARRY VAUGHT

Louisville coach Chris Mack came to Marshall County Hoopfest last week to watch Marshall County junior Zion Harmon point guard play. Auburn coach Bruce Pearl also got another look at Harmon and numerous other college coaches also watched the 5-11 four-star prospect play.

In addition to Louisville and Auburn, he also has offers from Kansas, Maryland, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, LSU, Seton Hall, Stephen Austin, Creighton and Saint Louis.

“Other schools have reached out but I am loyal to my top seven. The only school I added on to it was Maryland because Maryland was my home state. How can you not put your home state on there? And the history behind Maryland is just legendary,” Harmon said.

Kentucky coach John Calipari was at Hoopfest Thursday but not there Friday or Saturday when the top 25 player in the 2021 class played. Harmon had hoped to get a UK offer — he was at Big Blue Madness two years ago — but obviously has given up hope on that happening.

“If they don’t want me, then I don’t really need them,” Harmon said. “It’s not really a big deal. I am on to the next thing and trying to look where I can better my life. It has to be good for both of us or it won’t work, so I am good.

“I feel that I am blessed to have the opportunity and options I have to pick from for college. In the end I will go with the coach that I feel the most comfortable with and I will be committing after the season.”

Harmon will have all the classes he needs to reclassify to the 2020 class if he wants when this semester ends.

“So that option isn’t out the door. It just all depends on how the year goes and the conclusion we come to after the season about college. That’s why I am waiting to make any decision. You don’t wan to close any doors,” Harmon said.

He’s had visits to Western Kentucky, Louisville and Maryland. He will be making one to Kansas.

“I had a great time at Louisville. I really like the atmosphere. It was special,” Harmon said.

He’s known Western Kentucky coach Rick Stansbury longer than any other coach. His first college scholarship came from New Mexico State when he was a seventh-grader but his next offer was from Stansbury.

“It is more like family a environment at Western. Coach Stansbury just makes you feel like you are one of his. The opportunities he talks about are just big. I like Western a whole lot,” Harmon said. “He (Stansbury) has a legendary coaching history that I don’t think a lot of basketball players know about and he shared that with me. I was actually really surprised by it.”

Stansbury’s son was a Bowling Green teammate of Harmon’s when the Purples won the state title in 2017. Harmon says getting to know the family could impact his recruiting.

“Most definitely helps because the coach I am most comfortable with on that floor is going to allow me to make decisions that work for him and to get a national championship I have to have a good relationship off the court, too,” Harmon said. “That definitely plays a part and is probably the No. 1 reason Western Kentucky was on my top seven list because I am so comfortable with him. Then meeting the coaching staff and the environment at Western Kentucky was great.”

He’s intrigued with Seton Hall and a chance to run the offense there but Kansas coach Bill Self has been on him for a long time,

“I ran Bill Self’s offense when I was younger and getting to know him is a blessing and hopefully what he has to offer can supply my needs and I can supply his needs,” Harmon said. “Everyone tells me that Kansas is the best visit, so I am excited for that coming up.

“But I am just blessed to have so many great opportunities in front of me and just have to make sure I make the right choice.”
    Comments 10 Comments
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Isn't the 5'11 generous?

I know Tyler was great, but is this kid another Tyler Ulis?
      Yes...but size does not matter. IMO better than Tyler at a similar stage. I am a huge Harmon fan plus anybody named Zion must be great. He is a 5 star player, worthy of a UK offer unless the is something untorrid going on. Kid can flat out ball as good as any 6'3" point out there
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Yes...but size does not matter. IMO better than Tyler at a similar stage. I am a huge Harmon fan plus anybody named Zion must be great. He is a 5 star player, worthy of a UK offer unless the is something untorrid going on. Kid can flat out ball as good as any 6'3" point out there
      Cool.

Cal, get on it!
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      He’s a baller. Also a real good kid according to my Adair County sources.
      catmanjack -
      If Cal is not sniffing around then the recruitment smells.
      Hoss -
      He's really, really good. It's very strange that we've showed no interest in a 5 star PG playing in the state of Kentucky.
      catmanjack -
      To be a 5 star his list of school is very weak, could be his height but Cal loved Ulis.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      When your only big time offers are KU and U of L ,and Auburn is on your final list, something is definitely up.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      When your only big time offers are KU and U of L ,and Auburn is on your final list, something is definitely up.
      Absolutely; there has to be a reason that nobody is interested in this kid except those cheaters.

Darryl
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      Yep. Cal generally ignores kids that end up with lists like his. Suspect move to Marshall county in my opinion. They needed to win with this class and couldn’t without him. I’m guessing they won’t with him. We play them tomorrow night so I will get to see him up close for the first time in a year. He’s an unreal talent. He looks about 5’7 or 8 to me. We played their jv girls there the other night and someone told me they didn’t think things were going very smooth amongst some teammates. One kid apparently would have quit if he wasn’t so close to 1000 points. Who knows if any of it is true, people talk. The results of their team will tell the real truth as they have a solid core and in my mind he’s an nba player in a less than nba body. I look forward to watching him this year.
      Padukacat -
      So Zion Harmon is good at basketball if anyone hasn’t noticed. I have no clue how it will translate in college because he basically plays no defense and jacks up 30’ step back threes that go in. He can drive it well but doesn’t want to. He’s lightning quick but definitely a bit short despite an nba ready body. He had about 12 threes and 37 points. I think they were all at least five feet behind the line and he he about four in the first quarter to put them up by 16 or so...

Oh and we beat them.

We also beat their girls. Marshall was a favorite in the region for both. Atmosphere was one of the best I’ve seen in high school. Bad day to be a Marshall, good day to be a mustang.