Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: L's down upset Cardinals coach

By LARRY VAUGHT

Would seem there was no way to have a controversy after Kentucky pounded Louisville 45-13 Saturday, it’s second straight lopsided win over the Cardinals, but apparently I was wrong.

Kentucky ran at will as Louisville had no answers for Lynn Bowden or Kentucky’s explosive running plays. Yet after the game it appeared Louisville coach Scott Satterfield was complaining to Kentucky coach Mark Stoops about some Cats giving the “L’s down” signal during the game and right before it ended.

Stoops wouldn’t elaborate on what was said.

“He’s a good man and a good coach. You could tell I thought both teams were very — for a rivalry game, emotions are always high. I think both teams were very disciplined. His team certainly was and they are certainly very well-coached,” Stoops said. “I’d like to believe ours is, as well.”

Pause. Kentucky is very well coached. To win seven games after basically being forced to a run only offense at midseason is remarkable and to rush for over 400 yards in each of the last three games is something no Kentucky team had every done.

Now back to the L’s down complaint.

“We respect them. It’s a healthy rivalry,” Stops said. “You know why because I say it in here and I always say it to our team. You have about every seven days to be humbled in this business, so don’t go around beating your chest and getting too far out and ahead of yourself. Just continue to stay with the things that gave you some success. Continue to learn and get better.

“So we’ll do that. I don’t know, at the end it got weird because they called a timeout and we got a sack and there’s a fumble and ruckus and all that. But our team was very respectful all day. I don’t know if an L’s down is going to offend them. There’s going to be a lot worse in this rivalry over time.”

Say amen to that. Go to an intense high school football rivalry and see if what happens there would make L’s down look tame. This is a big-time college football rivalry in all sports and if that is the worst thing the winning team might do, then so be it.

I remember Kentucky basketball players Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro, P.J. Washington, Ashton Hagans and Nick Richards putting the L’s down after last year’s win over the Cards. Go back to UK’s 2016 basketball recruiting class of De’Aaron Fox, Sacha Killeya-Jones, Bam Adebayo and Malik Monk posing for a photo with the L’s down at the McDonald’s All-American Game that resulted in a threat against Killeya-Jones on social media from a fan most assumed was a Cardinal fan.

After UK’s win Saturday, one Louisville sports talk radio show host posted this on Twitter: “The UK players who refuse to mention U of L by name certainly spend a lot of time learning to manipulate their hands in a ‘L’s down sign’ .. truly classless. Pretend you know how to win.”

My advice to those upset over the L’s down would be to learn how to lose. It’s a game and college players are going to have some fun and if the Cards had won, the L’s would have been showing for them and nothing wrong with that.
    Comments 36 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      After the game, Satterfield chatted with Stoops briefly, and appeared to talk a bit about the L’s Down gesture. Stoops wouldn’t elaborate on the talk after the game, though he did say his program respects Louisville and that Satterfield is “a good man and a good coach.”

“I don’t know if an L’s Down is going to offend them,” Stoops said. “There’s going to be a lot worse in this rivalry over time.”

There are two ways to look at this. One, is that in the current climate of respecting others and not denigrating entire cities full of people, you don’t want to do that kind of thing. Clearly, it is endorsed by UK’s coaches and administration.

My own view is, it’s a rivalry. It’s one of those things. And if you don’t like it, your option is to win the game. WKU fans were flashing L’s down at the beginning of Friday’s basketball game with Louisville in Nashville. After a double-digit loss, I didn’t see any.

I know in say, the Big 12, for example, officials will throw a penalty for an unsportsmanlike taunting penalty if a “horns down” sign is directed at Texas players or coaches.

It all seems a bit silly. To me, it’s distasteful. If one side has to denigrate the other to enjoy a win, it’s a shame. But historically, that’s part of the fun of winning, and I do understand that, and I see it on both sides. Nobody, anywhere, has a monopoly on it.

In the end, the best way to stop it is to win.
      kingcat -

Just a set up for the UL ugliness they expect next season.

Didnt this guy play High School football?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      After the game, Satterfield chatted with Stoops briefly, and appeared to talk a bit about the L’s Down gesture. Stoops wouldn’t elaborate on the talk after the game, though he did say his program respects Louisville and that Satterfield is “a good man and a good coach.”

“I don’t know if an L’s Down is going to offend them,” Stoops said. “There’s going to be a lot worse in this rivalry over time.”

There are two ways to look at this. One, is that in the current climate of respecting others and not denigrating entire cities full of people, you don’t want to do that kind of thing. Clearly, it is endorsed by UK’s coaches and administration.

My own view is, it’s a rivalry. It’s one of those things. And if you don’t like it, your option is to win the game. WKU fans were flashing L’s down at the beginning of Friday’s basketball game with Louisville in Nashville. After a double-digit loss, I didn’t see any.

I know in say, the Big 12, for example, officials will throw a penalty for an unsportsmanlike taunting penalty if a “horns down” sign is directed at Texas players or coaches.

It all seems a bit silly. To me, it’s distasteful. If one side has to denigrate the other to enjoy a win, it’s a shame. But historically, that’s part of the fun of winning, and I do understand that, and I see it on both sides. Nobody, anywhere, has a monopoly on it.

In the end, the best way to stop it is to win.
      Dan, I'm not sure what you think that's saying, but that is complimentary of UK coaches and staff.

"two ways to look at it...one...in the current climate of respecting others and not denigrating entire cities full of people, you don’t want to do that kind of thing. Clearly, it is endorsed by UK’s coaches and administration."

i.e., UK coaches and administration endorse way # 1 -- that in the current climate of respecting others, and not denigrating....you don't want to do that kind of thing.

He then goes on to give the 2nd view, which is his view--which is, it's a rivalry, just one of those things.
      Darrell KSR -
      By the way, in the Miami v Louisville game this year, a Cardinals player scored a touchdown. The Louisville quarterback (I don't know which one was playing) turned to the crowd, and put the upside-down U's after scoring.

(Funny thing, they were down 3 touchdowns at the time).

But the point is, as a Miami alumnus, that's not even a blip. Enough with the faux outrage.
      Darrell KSR -
      By the way, "UofLSheriff50", aka Mark Blankenbaker, tried to couch Miami as the bad guys, taunters there. One of their fans set the record straight.

The ReMod Squad
      @RemodThe
      Replying to @UofLSheriff50
      Mark, I was there-Louisville 100% did everything they could to taunt, bully, intimidate and have overall general bad sportsmanship.
      Miami just obliged them.

People wil eventually learn to stop throwing the U’s upside down, and stop face masking Miami players etc..

5:14pm · 12 Nov 2019 · Twitter for iPad

I am not excusing any Miami behavior. I know full well what they're like, in a way that is at least objective, if not defensive, of Miami, since "I am one of them." But the point here is, it is priceless for a Louisville person to claim high moral ground on anything. EVEN WHEN they're playing Miami, they're the bad guys.
      IkeCat -
      opPOrTUnity to Say something about leadership, but I'm afraid that I would get political
      CitizenBBN -
      First, the "L" thing, and their slogan, are dumb. If you put out a dumb thing like that which is easily mocked, in this case by doing the L upside down, it's going to happen.

Second, a certain level of taunting etc. is normal among testosterone fueled 18-22 year old guys. Get over it. Now the Ole Miss thing goes too far, and got flagged, but a little bit of chest thumping is OK.

And why would we want to eliminate it? It's funny to me we gather, spend billions to watch these kids smash each other up every weekend, celebrate big hits and guys shoving, pushing, grabbing, and otherwise doing everything but punching each other, then get all high and mighty that in the midst of that they taunt each other? OH NO, Heaven forbid after they are out there bloodied and bruised they actually turn to something as offensive at taunting???!!!!!

reminds me of the bit in Apocalypse Now, which is so very very true, when Kurtz points out the military brass train kids to drop fire on people but won't let them put cuss words on their planes.

This was well within bounds, and a perfectly normal part of the game. I"m sure much worse is said between players in every game.
      UKFlounder -
      It’s interesting to me that the regular “L” is supposedly okay - in my life, that was always the sign of “loser,” whether ridiculing yourself for doing something stupid or using it to make fun of others. I find it funny and appropriate that they wear the “loser” symbol so proudly yet so ignorantly
      dtalbersjr -
      The funny thing is, this meltdown is just from a game they kinda, sorta talked themselves into thinking they might win.

Wait until 12/28 when we whip them again in basketball. They actually think they have the best team in the country.
      kingcat -
      I guess we could give them the upside down finger and it would be acceptable.
      Doc -
      Boo effin who
      Catfan73 -
      CitizenBBN -
      Can I use that at work without getting in trouble with the government?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
      I love this, and will steal it.
      KSRBEvans -
      Attachment 8637
      blueboss -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Can I use that at work without getting in trouble with the government?
      I had our quality director assign it a “controlled document” number and add it into our ISO system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post