Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: L's down upset Cardinals coach

By LARRY VAUGHT

Would seem there was no way to have a controversy after Kentucky pounded Louisville 45-13 Saturday, it’s second straight lopsided win over the Cardinals, but apparently I was wrong.

Kentucky ran at will as Louisville had no answers for Lynn Bowden or Kentucky’s explosive running plays. Yet after the game it appeared Louisville coach Scott Satterfield was complaining to Kentucky coach Mark Stoops about some Cats giving the “L’s down” signal during the game and right before it ended.

Stoops wouldn’t elaborate on what was said.

“He’s a good man and a good coach. You could tell I thought both teams were very — for a rivalry game, emotions are always high. I think both teams were very disciplined. His team certainly was and they are certainly very well-coached,” Stoops said. “I’d like to believe ours is, as well.”

Pause. Kentucky is very well coached. To win seven games after basically being forced to a run only offense at midseason is remarkable and to rush for over 400 yards in each of the last three games is something no Kentucky team had every done.

Now back to the L’s down complaint.

“We respect them. It’s a healthy rivalry,” Stops said. “You know why because I say it in here and I always say it to our team. You have about every seven days to be humbled in this business, so don’t go around beating your chest and getting too far out and ahead of yourself. Just continue to stay with the things that gave you some success. Continue to learn and get better.

“So we’ll do that. I don’t know, at the end it got weird because they called a timeout and we got a sack and there’s a fumble and ruckus and all that. But our team was very respectful all day. I don’t know if an L’s down is going to offend them. There’s going to be a lot worse in this rivalry over time.”

Say amen to that. Go to an intense high school football rivalry and see if what happens there would make L’s down look tame. This is a big-time college football rivalry in all sports and if that is the worst thing the winning team might do, then so be it.

I remember Kentucky basketball players Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro, P.J. Washington, Ashton Hagans and Nick Richards putting the L’s down after last year’s win over the Cards. Go back to UK’s 2016 basketball recruiting class of De’Aaron Fox, Sacha Killeya-Jones, Bam Adebayo and Malik Monk posing for a photo with the L’s down at the McDonald’s All-American Game that resulted in a threat against Killeya-Jones on social media from a fan most assumed was a Cardinal fan.

After UK’s win Saturday, one Louisville sports talk radio show host posted this on Twitter: “The UK players who refuse to mention U of L by name certainly spend a lot of time learning to manipulate their hands in a ‘L’s down sign’ .. truly classless. Pretend you know how to win.”

My advice to those upset over the L’s down would be to learn how to lose. It’s a game and college players are going to have some fun and if the Cards had won, the L’s would have been showing for them and nothing wrong with that.
    Comments 36 Comments
      TNCat -
      Stoops handled it well but it is silly. If you are going to have a hand gesture, the opposing teams and fan bases are going to mock it. Texas with the hook’m horns symbol has been mocked for years. Get over it!
      dtalbersjr -
      You gave up 12.4 yards and 1 point PER PLAY.

Not hard to see why your defense was historically bad. You’re wasting your time worrying about stuff like that.

Honestly, that’s a very Kragthorpian thing to do. I think Satterfield is MUCH better coach than Kragthorpe and will do well at U6, but that’s absurd.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      You gave up 12.4 yards and 1 point PER PLAY.

Not hard to see why your defense was historically bad. You’re wasting your time worrying about stuff like that.

Honestly, that’s a very Kragthorpian thing to do. I think Satterfield is MUCH better coach than Kragthorpe and will do well at U6, but that’s absurd.
      I agree, but he has to prove he is a better coach than Kragthorpe. I'll concede he is already better than Ron Cooper.
      KSRBEvans -
      Oh, and Mrs. Coach dips her toe in the waters with the subtweet:

Beth Satterfield
      @beth_satt
      And did I mention how THANKFUL I am for Classy Cardinal Fans ��❤️
      8:33 PM · Nov 30, 2019

https://twitter.com/beth_satt/status...51039823876099

Things are salty over at Casa Satterfield, I guess.
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I agree, but he has to prove he is a better coach than Kragthorpe. I'll concede he is already better than Ron Cooper.
      I don’t think we’ll be hearing about Satterfield being Nick Saban 2.0 for awhile. Even their fan base was telling him to shut up about the L’s.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

Beth Satterfield
      @beth_satt
      And did I mention how THANKFUL I am for Classy Cardinal Fans ��❤️

All 10 of the sober ones
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by CatQuick View Post
      I don’t think we’ll be hearing about Satterfield being Nick Saban 2.0 for awhile. Even their fan base was telling him to shut up about the L’s.
      I saw a lot of them basically saying that. It surprised me, actually.
      blueboss -
      Satterfield should reach out to Kyshitforbrainski so they can compare notes for stupid s@&t to say after a big loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Darrell KSR -
      Put it this way. Can you imagine Nick Saban going to meet the other coach after the game and what he had in mind after a beat-down was turning his hands down as if that was the important thing?

If I'm a Louisville fan, that worries me.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Put it this way. Can you imagine Nick Saban going to meet the other coach after the game and what he had in mind after a beat-down was turning his hands down as if that was the important thing?

If I'm a Louisville fan, that worries me.
      looeyville’s coach impresses me as being incredibly naive.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

Beth Satterfield
      @beth_satt
      And did I mention how THANKFUL I am for Classy Cardinal Fans ������❤️

How about those classy Cardinals players, Beth? Attachment 8627
      dan_bgblue -
      Please, someone help this old man's memory. Within the last 15 years, the visiting team came out of the tunnel at the start of the game and ran to midfield and stomped on the home team's logo. Did UL do the stomping or were the UK players the stompers? I think I remember correctly, but do not want to enter into a discussion with the wrong info.

Thanks
      dan_bgblue -
      They did that when they had Lamar to win games for them and their chests were puffed to the bursting point.
      bigsky -
      Aunt Janet and Uncle Charlie, Louisville natives in Memphis now, are classy Louisville fans. My buddy Matt in Missoula is way too liberal, but he's a classy Louisville fan. And there's a lady here who writes columns for the Bozeman paper who is a classy Louisville fan even though her husband can't even talk to me. He once walked up to her as she and I were talking and said, "there's a Honda out in the parking lot with a UK sticker I almost busted that window out". And she said, "I'd like you to meet the Mayor, he's a UK fan and that's his minivan". So I know four of the ten. And one typical.
      blueboss -
      That’s the guy that got the honor of leading the team out onto the field...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      bigsky -
      and that coach, my immediate reaction, "what a p*&&y"... I am not a classy UK fan. My second reaction was laughing at all the screen shots of him showing "L's down" in his future. that's Bobby Petrino in a neck brace stuff right there.
      dan_bgblue -
      Anyone surprised that Eric Crawford is a bit upset about UK's lack of respect for da ville?

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawford...f829a8aa3.html
      CGWildcat -
      I read LV article on his FB page. I thought the same thing, and as I said there; You're not at Appy State anymore and we're not Georgia Southern. Welcome to a real rivalry!
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Anyone surprised that Eric Crawford is a bit upset about UK's lack of respect for da ville?

Dan, I thought he was remarkably restrained. Pretty reasonable, in fact. Totally unexpected.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

I didn't see it like that. He summed it up best, don't want to see it, just win. He's right.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post