Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Sestina makes Kentucky a different team

By LARRY VAUGHT

In his Rupp Arena debut, Nate Sestina gave Kentucky basketball fans even more reason to like him.

Sestina posted his first double-double at Kentucky -- he had 11 at Bucknell before transferring to UK this year -- with 12 points and 11 rebounds Friday night at Rupp Arena in Kentucky's romp over Eastern Kentucky.

“It was great. We have the best fans in the country," Sestina said after the game. "Another opportunity to come out and get better in front of these guys and to play our game and show them what we are doing. It was great to get a win.”

He had played a significant role Tuesday in New York when UK beat No. 1 Michigan State. He knew Eastern Kentucky would relish the opportunity to play Kentucky, the expected No. 1 team in next week's poll, because of his experiences at Bucknell when his team went into games against name teams as the underdog.

“I actually said it today when we were getting ready to come out for starting lineup. I was like, 'Listen, I’ve been in those shoes, I’ve been in that spot, where you’re the underdog,'" Sestina said. "You’re a team that comes in and everybody thinks you’re going to get smacked.

"When I was at Bucknell, we played a lot of teams really close and I just told them like anything can happen. A game where we have defensive lapses and they make shots, they can go on runs, and they can really catch up. We just have to stay locked in.”

Kentucky stayed locked in, especially junior Nick Richards who had 21 points and 11 rebounds in one of his better games at UK.

“Oh my God, the dude is phenomenal. He was incredible tonight," Sestina said. "He was grabbing rebounds, on the floor, he was talking, he was dunking everything, making free throws. He played phenomenally tonight.

"He just plays so hard. A lot of the stuff he does goes unnoticed I think and he’s a guy that communicates a lot and does a lot of the small things for us."

So does Sestina. Just ask coach John Calipari.

"Nate makes our team different," Calipari said. "He talks, he hustles, he scrambles, he's got an unbelievable spirit out there."
    Comments 1 Comment
      Terminus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      "Nate makes our team different," Calipari said. "He talks, he hustles, he scrambles, he's got an unbelievable spirit out there."

That's something that won't show up in the box score, but it makes a difference.
      Agreed and even moreso with the frosh, imo. Brooks and Whitney in particular should benefit greatly from Nate’s addition. I loved the short clip during Friday’s game of him communicating with his teammates during practice. I admittedly underestimated his potential contribution to this year’s time when his transfer was announced, but I’m very glad to be proven wrong in this instance.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post