Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Loss to Tennessee a "tough pill to swallow"

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky had the ball for over 41 minutes, ran 71 plays to 46 for Tennessee, rushed for 302 yards and Tennessee had two touchdowns negated by video reviews.

So how did Kentucky lose 17-13 to Tennessee Saturday night, especially after having a 13-0 lead after scoring on its first two possession, including a 10-minute drive to open the game?

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops called it a “tough pill to swallow” after UK couldn’t score on two plays from the Tennessee 2-yard line in the final two minutes that would have won the game. Kentucky fans were calling it a lot worse than that on social media after Tennessee — a team that opened the season losing to Georgia State — continued its domination over the Wildcats. Maybe it was not the butt-kicking the Vols put on UK last year but this one probably hurt way, way more.

“You felt like you really do so many good things and control the game in so many ways but come up short. Both teams were desperate for the win. We came up short. It’s very tough,” Stoops said.

The Kentucky coach said Tennessee’s receivers made “50-50 contested catches” that changed the game. But Kentucky only throwing for 25 yards hurt even more and Stoops refused to go to Sawyer Smith when the Vols obviously has the line of scrimmage stacked to stop Lynn Bowden, the receiver turned quarterback who does his best but threw a costly interception with UK up 13-0 in the first half.

“It was there but was just under thrown or a touch late (throwing). That play is going to haunt me for a while,” Stoops said. “We're not overly explosive right now. We're pretty one-dimensional, and I think everybody knows that. We're trying the best we can. ... I realize we're not perfect and could do a lot of things better and different.”

Still, this is a game Kentucky had to win and should have won. The Cats squandered so many scoring opportunities after they got the ball into Tennessee territory but made no noticeable adjustments after the Vols decided to not let Bowden beat them running after the first series. Stoops said Tennessee “limited our opportunities for shots” with way they played defense but pointed to UK “stalling” too often in Tennessee territory.

“Just a game that we felt we had and from here on out this will be on our mind. We have to finish games, work harder and get smarter,” defensive end Josh Paschal, who blocked a punt, said. “This is a tough loss. We had them. This is a time a team can split up or come together. I trust we are going to come together. I know everyone of my teammates’ has my back. We learn from these games.

“Our leaders have to lead like we do but this is time where everyone has to look in mirror and make sure everyone does their job for the team whether you are on scout team or a starter. We can all do better.”
    Comments 6 Comments
      CatQuick -
      I think Stoops has improved the culture and I'm betting they come out focused next week. The question at QB is killing us, but I don't think Vandy can contain Bowden for four quarters, so would expect more of the Missouri outcome.
      dan_bgblue -
      The loss of the starting QB has been tough for UK to overcome. That is an excuse, not a reason. 2 quarters with UT in a 8 man defensive front should have caused UK to quit trying to win the game by running the ball over and over again but it didn't. UK should have run 3 receivers out wide and a back to help protect Bowden on pass plays or block for him when he needed to run, or even slip out of the backfield for a relief valve reception. UK had to be able to gain more than 25 yards thru the air, and the coaching staff never tried to make that happen. The coaches have made other mistakes that caused the team to lose a game because of their inability to make adjustments. This is just another flop on their part and I am getting tired of comments like this from our HC

Stoops said Tennessee “limited our opportunities for shots” with way they played defense but pointed to UK “stalling” too often in Tennessee territory.
      What did you do to overcome the defense they were playing? It was obvious to me that he chose to keep right on doing the same dang thing hoping that UT would make a huge mistake that allowed UK to score a time or two more.
      Powermaker -
      More like a suppository.
      Terry Blue -
      Gaining 302 yards on the ground against a team expecting the run was one for the ages, but still lost
      kingcat -
      UT was just the better team. A confused team in the first quarter, but clearly the best for most of the last three.
      Terry Blue -
      They could pass
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post