Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Marrow teaches value of relationships

By LARRY VAUGHT

Vince Marrow has taught me the value of never breaking off a relationship. It would have to be easy at times for him to be upset when a recruit doesn’t pick Kentucky, but the UK recruiting coordinator understands that athletes make choices for various reasons.

That’s how he managed to get Xavier Peters and Ahmad Wagner to Kentucky when both players decided to transfer after originally saying no to Kentucky.

He’s also explained to me how he’s happy when a player who didn’t pick Kentucky still has success at the school he did choose because he likes to see young men succeed.

Those thoughts popped into my mind when I saw that former Western Hills standout Wan’Dale Robinson was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for his play in Nebraskaa’s 42-38 win over Illinois last week.

Remember Robinson broke some UK fans’ hearts — and angered many more — when he flipped his commitment from UK to Nebraska because he decided the Cornhuskers were the better fit for his offensive skills.

He got 22 of his 27 touches in the second half last week after Nebraska fell behind by two touchdowns. He ended the game with 186 all-purpose yards and three touchdowns. After having just eight carries the first three games, he ran 19 times for 89 yards with all but one run coming in the second half.

The 5-10, 190-pound Robinson goes into Saturday’s home game against No. 4 Ohio State as the Big Ten freshman leader in all-purpose yards (102.3 yards per game) and co-leader in receptions (4.3) per game.

Robinson is as dynamic as Kentucky junior Lynn Bowden and can run the football, catch passes or return kicks and with his speed is a threat to break a big play at any time — just like Bowden.

With UK’s returning players, it’s hard to imagine Robinson getting 27 touches in a game midway of his freshman year if he was at Kentucky. Instead, he seems to have picked an offense that was right for him and while not everyone will agree, I’m happy to see a former Kentucky Mr. Football and Paul Hornung Award winner doing well just like I am if a player from Ohio, New Jersey, or anywhere else comes to Kentucky and does well.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post