Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Kentucky fans still trying to comprehend loss

By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky fans today are obviously still trying to comprehend how the Cats got outscored 19-0 by No. 9 Florida in the fourth quarter Saturday night and lost 29-21.

It was a game Kentucky could have won so easily -- and no matter what anyone thought of two key targeting calls against the Cats, UK did have a 21-10 lead and fourth down and one at the Florida 38 to start the fourth quarter.

Florida coach Dan Mullen reminded everyone after the game that last year the Gators had a fourth-quarter lead before Kentucky rallied to win -- the opposite scenario from Saturday night's game. However, Mullen also said other things that UK fans should note.

"Offensively, we killed ourselves with some penalties so that was kind of disappointing. But we found a way to win and we didn’t do that last year and that’s a big win," Mullen said.

"That’s an excellent football team. Hard-pressed to tell me there’s 25 better teams in the country than Kentucky. They should be a ranked team.

"Mark’s done a great job with the program, I mean look at the talent, the guys they have out there on the field. They’re big, they’re physical, they play hard, they’ve got playmakers.”

One of the best playmakers was quarterback Sawyer Smith, who was making his first start in place of injured Terry Wilson. He was 23 of 35 passing for 267 yards and two scores but did throw three interceptions, including one on UK's final play of the game.

Kentucky missed a 35-yard field goal that could have won the game and junior running back A.J. Rose, who was stopped on a crucial fourth down play to start the fourth quarter, said it was a "tough" way for the Cats to lose.

"You’re up in the fourth quarter and then not walking away with the W, it’s pretty hurtful. It comes down to a couple of plays we should’ve made and some things we have to get better on defense and change and you just have to move on to the next week," Rose said.

Kentucky will play at Mississppi State, which was upset by Kansas State Saturday, this week.

“We just have to come in and watch film on who we have next week, prepare, get a game plan down, and just go into that game and take what we have from this game and come out with a W. We can’t go backwards; everything is about going forward," Rose said.

He says younger teammates have to understand the loss was just one game, not a season.

"You win some, and you lose some. You can’t win every game and even though it was a tough loss and we should’ve won the game, things happen, and things don’t always go your way," Rose said.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post