Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• postgame column with Towles

LEXINGTON — For Patrick Towles, his collegiate debut was “what he dreamed about growing up” as a kid in Fort Thomas.

He was Kentucky’s Mr. Football at Highlands last year and the marquee name in the University of Kentucky’s 2012 recruiting class. Yet he had been slated for a redshirt season until starting quarterback Maxwell Smith went down with a likely season-ending ankle injury and senior Morgan Newton was ineffective.

Towles finally got his chance to play here Saturday against Mississippi State and his first series was so impressive that former UK quarterbacks Tim Couch and Jared Lorenzen immediately went on Twitter to praise him. And they should have even though the Wildcats eventually lost 27-14.

Towles led a superb 80-yard scoring drive where he went 5-for-5 passing and hit LaRod King for a 32-yard scoring strike despite being pummelled just as he released the ball. That cut the deficit to 14-7 and filled Commonwealth Stadium with hope — but just for a few moments because two series later he was sacked, twisted his ankle and spent the second half on crutches watching freshman quarterback Jalen Whitlow run the offense.

“I loved every bit of it,” said Towles, who threw only one pass (an incompletion) on his next two series after the scoring drive. “I tried to stay even keeled, but unfortunately it did not end up well. I hurt my ankle when I probably should have just gone down rather than fighting the tackle. But I hurt my left ankle in high school and don’t think this is too severe. I am going to do my best to get back out there as soon as I can. I don’t know if that will be next week, but I want it to be.”

Kentucky fans do, too. Many had been clamoring for Towles to play and he had been wanting to play even though he understood Smith’s experience and solid play early in the season made it easier for coach Joker Phillips to redshirt him. But the plan all along was that if he was needed, he would burn the redshirt season to help the team.

However, offensive coordinator Randy Sanders warned Towles, who had been running UK’s scout team, what could happen against State’s always physical defense.

“I told him all week if he didn't make quick decisions, get the ball out of (his) hand, he might get his leg broke,” Sanders said. “But sometimes ignorance is bliss. He had remarkable poise that first series. Sometimes not knowing makes it easier to play.”

Still, Sanders admitted Towles had him “scratching his head” over a few plays on UK’s scoring drive.

“But it is unfortunate he got hurt. Football can be cruel and tough like it was for him today,” Sanders said.

It didn’t start that way. After Whitlow went three-and-out on two series to open the game, Towles got his chance with UK trailing 14-7. He gained two yards on a rollout on his first and on third-and-11, he threw a 14-yard first-down pass to King. Next came a 7-yard pass to Raymond Sanders. Two plays later it was a 9-yard throw to Demarco Robinson. On third-and-one at the State 44, Towles faked a handoff and hit tight end Ronnie Shields for a 9-yard gain.

Two plays later he showed why he could be special. King made a double move and that gave State, which had nine tackles for loss in the game, a chance to get to Towles. He never flinched with a rusher coming toward him and lofted a high pass toward the goal line for King, who was wide open. Towles took the hit, King caught the ball and went into the end zone to ignite the UK fans who did come to the game.

“We expect him to go in there and to play well and he did,” Phillips said.

Phillips said Towles went to “the right guy” on the first completion to King and then “stood in there” on the touchdown play.

“Towles can make plays like that,” freshman cornerback Daron Blaylock said. “We see that in practice. It was no surprise.”

Towles said not to forget who helped him look so good that drive.

“I had a lot of help out there,” the freshman quarterback said. “The offensive line guys were great and made my life easier. Give them credit, too.”

Kentucky got the ball back at the 14, but for some reason Sanders did not let Towles throw the ball. Three runs netted five yards and a punt. After State got a field goal to make it 17-14, UK got the ball back at the 20 with 1:51 left. However, not only were there no heroics, Towles got hurt on the first play when he was sacked for a 12-yard loss. He overthrew Demarco Robinson on his next play and then handed off on what could be his last play of the season.

If he’s hurt and cannot play again, he can apply for a medical redshirt season. If he’s out two to three weeks or more — Sanders said it didn’t sound positive about Towles playing next week — and then plays in another game or two, he will use a year of eligibility.

“We will see how it goes,” Phillips said.

However, Phillips sure liked what he did see.

“He stood in on that touchdown pass and took one in the lips which is what big-time quarterback should do,” the UK coach said. “You’re not going to break tackles (on the sack) when the guy has both arms wrapped around you. Just go down. That’s how competitive he is. That wasn’t my advice to him. This year he’s not going to break a tackle, go down and live to compete another play.”

But he didn’t and UK went back to Whitlow, who had played well at Florida. He was only 10-for-21 passing for 73 yards and ran eight times for 26 yards, including a 14-yard scoring run that cut the lead to 27-14 midway of the third quarter and briefly gave UK hopes for coming back that were quickly ended by the lack of offense.

“Jalen is running too much and too quick. Sometimes he is trying to make plays when he shouldn’t,” Sanders said.

Whitlow knows.

“I left a lot of plays on the field today,” he said. “I’m pretty frustrated, but we can’t hang our heads. I also took some sacks that I shouldn’t have taken. I couldn’t really throw the ball in the ocean today, so that’s not good.”

No, but don’t give up on Whitlow. Like Towles, he’s talented. Just in somewhat different ways, but don’t doubt that he is a SEC playmakers.

For once, Phillips even admitted he wished after the game he could have been second guessed for how he decided to rotate the two quarterbacks in the second half.

“You could be criticizing me for the rotation and that means both of them were healthy, meaning that one more didn’t get (hurt) ... I wished that was the question today everybody was asking because I would have both of them healthy. But we didn’t so we’ll never know.”

Towles hopes Phillips has that dilemma soon.

“I want to play. If that wasn’t apparent when I came out here and burned my redshirt now, I want to play,” Towles said. “This medical redshirt stuff is great if I can’t get back on the field, but I want to get back on the field.”

And Kentucky needs him back on the field based on what he showed on that first memorable series.
    Comments 15 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      Great piece Larry, and Towles was definitely the story both going into and coming out of the game.

He has the look. How he wasn't getting reps to help us is beyond me.
      dan_bgblue -
      He has the look. How he wasn't getting reps to help us is beyond me.
      Many of the decisions this staff has made have been a mystery to me. This is one of the bigger mysteries.
      jazyd -
      He is our best qb, not the 4th. Joker shouldn't give us that crap that he expected him to play well, if he truly did he would have been playing him all along. Joker got showed up today for what he is, a terrible HC. The kid is a qb, can make the throws, the offense moved for him with confidence.
      this just makes me sick thinking of it and extremely pissed off. No wonder he was thinking of transferring, he knew he was better than anything on the field and Joker would not even let the kid compete.
      Fire him right now, before the night is over. Please for UK's sake.
      bluecat24 -
      Still, Sanders admitted Towles had him “scratching his head” over a few plays on UK’s scoring drive.

Sanders has had me scratching my every game. Like today, Towles comes out and lights a fire in our players. Sanders on the next set of downs calls three straight running plays.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Many of the decisions this staff has made have been a mystery to me. This is one of the bigger mysteries.
      Gee Dan, it's not too much of a mystery. Our offense is too complicated for a freshman. You have to be in the program 3 years!!
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Gee Dan, it's not too much of a mystery. Our offense is too complicated for a freshman. You have to be in the program 3 years!!
      hehehe

How could I forget.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by bluecat24 View Post
      I heard that and wasn't even sure what to make of it but none of the things I came up with were positive for Sanders.
      ukblue -
      Mick, when asked about Towles one of the young wide receivers said it was no surprise how Towles had performed when he finally got into a live football game. We see it every day in practice when he runs the scout team . Why would joker and sanders not have any idea what Towles strengths are? Me thinks some people are trying to blow smoke up my buttocks Mick.
      UKHistory -
      Some coaches are true control freaks. This is even more a heightened OCD condition for coaches of poor teams.

I recall UK scoring against Auburn to end the first half under Curry. Curry was actually upset that the qb didn't follow his instructions than the kid making a successful play. I get the sense that is what Sanders felt. It also may explain why Sanders wanted Towles to hand off to George. I am sure Sanders felt that if Towles scored another TD throwing the ball, Sanders and Joker would have looked really bad.

Nothing like pettiness in leadership to right a sinking ship.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      I heard that and wasn't even sure what to make of it but none of the things I came up with were positive for Sanders.
      Darrell KSR -
      I just don't know what to think with the staff anymore.
      UKHistory -
      And to be fair, I think most players will say something complimentary about their teammate when asked publicly.

I find it hard to believe that based on natural talent alone, Towles was not being groomed earlier.

Heck Morgan Newton came in to run the option replacing Max against UofL. If you want to win, play Towles and get him ready.

Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
      Mick, when asked about Towles one of the young wide receivers said it was no surprise how Towles had performed when he finally got into a live football game. We see it every day in practice when he runs the scout team . Why would joker and sanders not have any idea what Towles strengths are? Me thinks some people are trying to blow smoke up my buttocks Mick.
      Darrell KSR -
      I had a volleyball match I was coaching (we beat # 1 team, we are now # 1 in the league--and for Jazy, those Asics NEVER looked so good as they did digging yesterday!), and then an open house for a high school we're considering. I'm sick; I hate missing any UK football game, even when we are bad as we are this year--for reasons like this. I hate that I missed Patrick playing. Everybody I trust says he has the look. Better than a healthy Maxwell Smith. Better than Jalen Whitlow (who has his own skill set; not meaning to demean him). *The* best.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      He is our best qb, not the 4th. Joker shouldn't give us that crap that he expected him to play well, if he truly did he would have been playing him all along. Joker got showed up today for what he is, a terrible HC. The kid is a qb, can make the throws, the offense moved for him with confidence.
      this just makes me sick thinking of it and extremely pissed off. No wonder he was thinking of transferring, he knew he was better than anything on the field and Joker would not even let the kid compete.
      Fire him right now, before the night is over. Please for UK's sake.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
      Blue I am just shaking my head. I sat through John Ray. I saw too many Bill Curry coached teams. This is the damnest staff ever. At this point I would even take Martin Newton as athletics director. He has Samford football AND basketball on fire! We need to clean house.
      suncat05 -
      Towles looked every bit the part of an honest-to-goodness real SEC QB. The TD pass to King was right on the numbers, QB-to-WR stuff.
      I like Maxwell Smith, but Towles is definitely the QB of the future if he can stay somewhat healthy. And I hate the injury to Max, as I have to wonder if a 2nd shoulder injury, to the same shoulder, may not be a bit too much to fully recover from, in addition to the ankle/foot injury at the same time. I hope I'm wrong.
      Just last week I said here that Joker needs another year to move this thing in the right direction. After seeing how well Towles played, under the circumstances, and given all that has happened during the last 2+ seasons, I have changed my mind. With that said though, it's going to take more than just a coaching change to make this situation right. If the UKAA, the UK admin, and the UK president don't change their point-of-view regarding Kentucky football, then nothing is going to change except whomever the next coach to feel the heat will be.
      LarryVaught1 -
      Towles is the real deal. Guys like Cris Collinsworth, Jared Lorenzen and tim Couch know just a bit of football and all love him. they can't all be wrong about his talent. Still best high school QB I have seen since Couch
  • KSR Twitter Feed