Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Hinshaw expects Kentucky to increase passing attempts

By LARRY VAUGHT

Darin Hinshaw knows plenty about throwing the football because during his Central Florida playing career he threw for about 9,000 yards and 82 touchdowns.

“I broke every school record but only got to hold them for four years because Daunte Culpepper came and crushed my records,” said Hinshaw, Kentucky’s co-offensive coordinator, said Monday during an appearance at the Louisville Quarterback Club.

“But it is great to coach the position that I played and not everybody gets to do that. I know what those guys are going through. When you get on the side of the head and you still have to get up and call a play, I have been there and lived it. I can relate to those guys and what they go through.”

Like most quarterbacks, Hinshaw likes throwing the football but like Eddie Gran, UK’s assistant head coach of the offense/offensive coordinator, he understands the value of a balanced passing/running attack.

“Last year we were more about running the ball. We had a first year quarterback with Terry Wilson and he only threw about 20 times a game. We are going to have to increase that this year to 35 to 40 times a game,” Hinshaw said.

What? Double the passing attempts?

Kentucky leaned on a stout defense and all-time leading rusher Benny Snell to grind out wins last year — and it worked as UK went 10-3. Wilson was 180 of 268 passing for 1,889 yards and 11 scores.

“We have a great coach in Mark Stoops who understands the game and managing the game. A lot of times on the headset (last year) you would hear (from Stoops), ‘Don’t screw this up.’ We have the defensive player of the year and we knew what we had to do and that was the recipe for winning 10 games and we are going to find the recipe this year,” Hinshaw said. “We should have won 12 last year and 10 the year before. We are very close to making Kentucky great.”

And apparently to be “great” this year, that’s going to mean a lot more passing attempts for Wilson.
    Comments 2 Comments
      Jeeepcat -
      If we throw that much it's because the backs can't get it done IMO. Terry can get it done with his arm when he's loose so maybe that will happen but I don't see that being first option with this staff. Not complaining, although I would like to see confident, loose Terry more.
      Catfan73 -
      We averaged 22 passing attempts per game last year. If we only throw four more times per quarter on average that’ll still only be 38 per game and I’m pretty sure most of us would say that four more passes per quarter might be a good thing considering the talents of Wilson and Bowden.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post