Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Running Back Production Will Continue

By: LONNY DEMAREE

What is it Eddie Gran's DNA that would lead you to believe the Cats will not continue to be very effective in the running game? Gran has had a successful running attask everywhere he's coached. Duel 1,000 yard rushers his first year at UK Boom Williams and Bennie Snell.

Expect the much the same results with A.J. Rose and Kavosiey Smoke. Chris Rodriquez will be an effective red zone pounder. In addition to all that they have another Boom Williams type of smoker/type running back Travis Tisdale from Georgia.

Mister writer, aside from the aforementioned DNA where does your confidence come from? Five Star Landon young at the left tackle that started as a freshman and is bigger stronger and better after sitting out last season - Logan Stenberg at the left guard that come to the field with an attitude - Drake Jackson mentioned by some experts as the best center in the SEC - Mason Wolfe/Like Fortner at right guard - and Darian Kinnard at right tackle. Kinnard has star written all over him.

Skeptics may verbalize where is the depth in the event of injury? There were some scoring drives last season when the aforementioned right guards were in the game as opposed to the starters. Naasiir Watkins is promising to be a solid guard and tackle in the John Schlarman rotation. Quentin Wilson looked to be a solid replacement for Jackson at the center in the spring game.

And the big one is Terry Wilson and the production he brings. I mean the Wilson pre-injury in the Florida game in the Gator Den.

Consequently having said all the above given the playmakers on the offensive side of the ball I'm looking seven or eight more points per game to counterbalance to six more point given up by the defense.

Add to all that mixture the one word heard repeatedly throughout spring practice - SMART and that when added to talent creates a boon.
    Comments 7 Comments
      LonnyDemaree -
      It good that you see it that way but that's not some purpose. I pride myself recognition and knowledge of the game and saying revionist history is just that.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Young is a decent run blocker, gonna need a TE to help though. However unless Young's footwork and upper body leverage has improved a lot from 2 years ago. Wilson is going to need a flack jacket and eyes in the back of his head to keep from constantly getting crushed from his left side on pass plays of over 10 yards. jmho.
      I don’t believe there is any drop off at Tight End. The position will continue to be a strength of the run game. I believe overall run game may actually be better. Line up Smoke, AJ, Bowden and Touchdown Terry in the same backfield, and watch the opposing DEfensive staff go nuts on the sidelines. Whatchagonnado?
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I expect that the passing game efficiency will be so much better that that by itself will make the running game at least as good and quite probably better just by how teams will have to defend UK. No more walking the safeties up or eight men in the box. No more keeping your base defense in even on second and third and long. Just having to play UK straight up defensively will give the running backs more of a chance to break out on long gains.
      catmanjack -
      Did not expect a drop in the running game but do hope for an uptick in the passing game.
      dan_bgblue -
      I don’t believe there is any drop off at Tight End.
      Sure hope you are right sir. One of the best run and pass blocking tight ends ever at UK graduated, so I will need to see his replacement perform a bit before I feel comfortable. If this years TE is not as good as last years then I do not think Young can handle the left side. jmho
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Sure hope you are right sir. One of the best run and pass blocking tight ends ever at UK graduated, so I will need to see his replacement perform a bit before I feel comfortable. If this years TE is not as good as last years then I do not think Young can handle the left side. jmho
      Well, I hope so, too. Justin Rigg will start. He is a Junior and has played in all 26 games his first two years. He started the Middle Tennessee and Looeyville games last year. Experience won't be the issue with him. He has played very well both seasons. His likely backups, Bates and Upshaw both have nice size, but lack experience. Bates is the more experienced of the two. Upshaw was limited due to injury. Both backups are very talented and have the physicality to play the position. Drew Schlegel could also see some time at TE. He is mostly a blocking fullback and Special Teams.

In watching Bates over his career, I observed no drop off in level of play when he spelled Conrad. Matter of fact I had to double check the numbers to keep the two straight.
      dan_bgblue -
      In watching Bates over his career, I observed no drop off in level of play when he spelled Conrad. Matter of fact I had to double check the numbers to keep the two straight.
      That is music to my ears. I have to be honest, when I did not see #87 on the field, I did not pay a lot of attention to that position.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post