Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Kentucky does not need home and home with Indiana

By LARRY VAUGHT

When Kentucky stopped playing Indiana annually after the 2011 game in Bloomington when the Hoosiers upset UK, stormed the court and created a chaotic/scary atmosphere for coach John Calipari and his Cats, I got to admit I was a little disappointed.

The Kentucky-Indiana series had some great moments and memories. The Big Four Classic that included Louisville and Notre Dame was one of my favorite events.

On Thursday during his time on the SEC Coaches Teleconference, Calipari made it pretty clear the series was not about to resume any time soon.

"Our schedule is so locked in, I’m not sure, here in the next four to five years, if even talking about it does anything,” Calipari said. “We’re hoping to do something in London next year, we’ve got this challenge that we put together, the [Champions Classic] and then the [CBS Sports Classic].

'We have a game that we have to play with Louisville. We have our big challenge with the Big 12. Our stuff is pretty well loaded so I don’t see it happening any time in the near future.”

But guess what? I think he's right. Why play Indiana? I can't remember the last time a Kentucky fan mentioned something to me about the UK-Indiana series. Kentucky fans, I think, would prefer more marquee matchups rather than an annual game with the Hoosiers.

Calipari did suggest a neutral-site series with the Hoosiers before with games at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis but the Hoosiers said no thanks.

"Here’s what you’ve got to understand. When we first decided, I presented to Indiana that we would play two games in the big building in Indianapolis. Two games, we’ll play them both there. We’re not going to do this home-and-home but I’ll play both games there," Calipari said.

"They turned that down, which then, at that point, okay, we’re moving on because I can’t present anything that’s any better.”

For any UK fan that saw Kentucky player Darius Miller almost get trampled in the postgame celebration in Bloomington, that logic seems sound. For UK fan Megan Dills who got knocked down and injured by fans rushing the court, it's a no-brainer not to play in Bloomington.

"We have enough home-and-homes right now," Calipari said.

Not sure he's right about that but I do agree that a home-and-home with Indiana is not needed by UK.
    Comments 9 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      I used to love the Big 4. I, personally would like a regional series in football instead of playing UL every year. Rotate UL, IU, W.Va, Purdue, etc
      KSRBEvans -
      I didn't like it when it went from home-and-home to neutral sites, but I was wrong. Those were great venues and great atmospheres. Even without the stuff that happened in Bloomington, going back to a neutral site series would be a good choice. After that debacle, it's a requirement and if they refuse to play under those terms, so be it. They need UK a lot more than UK needs them, anyway.
      UKHistory -
      As a nonseason ticket holder, the neutral game is awesome. My family went to the inaugural Big 4 and it was a blast. After it was just UK vs IU, it was still amazing. Seeing how the blue and red split as cheers erupted was incredible.

I miss the series but under the circumstances, understand.

The IU athletic director did not appreciate how hard getting a marquee home and home series would be--especially if you are unwilling to add football into the mix.

There is only one Kentucky and only a few that play in our rarified air.

The neutral site games was not starting point for negotiations. It was THE option. Fred Glass was unwilling to accept a deal. He needed to feel like he won.

He and Indiana lost.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I used to love the Big 4. I, personally would like a regional series in football instead of playing UL every year. Rotate UL, IU, W.Va, Purdue, etc
      Hear, hear!
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I would like that as well. As for playing those sanctimonious, hypocritical Knight loving aholes in basketball, screw them until eternity passes.
      bigsky -
      I like the regional rotation thing in football. But not with IU. Nothing with IU. Never give an inch with IU. Not Bob Knight, or the coach who guarded Keith Bogans, or Clappy, or their fans or their fans descendants. And you can read into those simple statements all kinds of profanity of your choice for emphasis.
      LakeCat -
      Have some in laws who are IU fans. They are idiots who will never come to grip with their irrelevancy. They loathe UK and of course our cheating ways (lol) and still truly believe they are superior to us.
      UKFlounder -
      Where's Krank when we need him?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      Where's Krank when we need him?
      Where is Krank, no kidding? I know this is the time of year when people have things to do during the summer, most of the sports discussion slows down, etcetera but I don't remember the last time I saw a post from him. You think with his favorite team being mentioned, Indiana, he would sense it somehow on the beach and manage to pop in and make a post.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post