Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Brad Calipari has support of Coach--and Father--Calipari

By LARRY VAUGHT

Considering that what Brad Calipari wore during games while he was sitting on the Kentucky bench last year became a controversy at times last season, surely coach John Calipari really was not surprised when his son putting his name into the NCAA transfer portal became a national story thursday.

“We talked about the transfer portal and putting his name out there. He didn’t think – nor did I – that putting his name out there would go crazy. We honestly didn’t think anyone would notice. But at the end of the day, I want my son to be happy,” John Calipari posted on Twitter.

“It’s hard to get minutes at Kentucky -- EVEN IF YOU’RE MY SON. Brad is going to take his time with his decision and weigh all options. No matter what he does, he has my full support.”

As he should have.

Brad Calipari transferred from Lexington Christian Academy to MacDuffe School in Massachusetts for his final high school season after suffering a knee injury. He averaged 15.3 points, 3.6 assists and 2.6 rebounds per game at MacDuffe and shot 47 percent from 3-point range.

He was at Kentucky three years, including last season when he redshirted. He played in 15 games his freshman season and 12 as a sophomore. He averaged just 2.7 minutes per game.

“If he decides to leave, I know our fans will continue to root for him. And if he decides to come back, I’ll soak in every moment to coach my son. I love all my players – I just love Brad a little more,” John Calipari tweeted.

The coach posted that he has talked with his on about “exploring his options” for next season.

If he stays at Kentucky, he’s not likely to play any more with the talent the Cats have on the roster. If he wants to play and believes he can play, he needs to transfer to a smaller school with less talent. However, he’s also said he wants to become a coach and there’s no better place to be to prepare for that than Kentucky.

One also has to wonder how this might impact Ellen Calipari, Brad’s mother and John’s wife. She’s become much more visible to BBN since her son’s arrival at Kentucky and seldom has missed a game with her son on the team. John Calipari has joked numerous times that she was always on him to give Brad more playing time.

Like any other athlete who puts his name into the transfer portal, there’s no timetable for Brad Calipari to make a decision about his future but my guess is that if he’s leaving, it won’t take long for him to decide where he’ll be playing the next two years.
    Comments 1 Comment
      UKHistory -
      a) Yes and I am sorry he is leaving actually--but wish him well.

b) End of June

c) Not asked but where will he go? I am saying William & Mary.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post