Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Rogers' announcement could be historic for Stoops and UK

By LARRY VAUGHT

This could be a historic night for Kentucky coach Mark Stoops and the UK football program.

Five-star Justin Rogers of Oak Park, Mich., will make his recruiting decision. The 6-2, 310-pound lineman got his first college scholarship offer from UK as an eighth-grader from UK recruiting coordinator Vince Marrow

His other finalists are Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee and Michigan, which is already braced to lose the state's No. 1 player to a SEC team.

Rogers took an official visit to Georgia this weekend and posted this on Twitter Sunday afternoon: "Man I have a good time down at Georgia ♥️"

Kentucky has been the perceived favorite by many to get his commitment. One reason that might be even though he's ranked as the nation's top offensive guard by several recruiting sites, Rogers has indicated he would like to play defense in college. He played in the defensive line as well as linebacker in high school.

Another plus for the Cats is that his former Oak Park teammate, Marquan McCall, signed with UK last year and the Cats let him play defense where he wanted to play while most schools wanted him to play offense. Another Detroit player, linebacker DeAndre Square, also has ties to Rogers and could be a key player for Kentucky this season.

Rogers is ranked as high as No. 10 nationally overall by one recruiting service. Stoops' highest ranked signee has been Lexington offensive lineman Landon Young, who was rated 29th nationally in 2016.

Now remember no matter who Rogers picks tonight, national signing day will not be until Dec. 18. But let's say that Rogers committed to Kentucky, changed his mind and signed with another school. Yes, it would hurt losing him but the positive feedback from getting a top 10 player nationally out of Michigan just to verbally commit to UK would just continue the momentum Kentucky has had from a 10-win season, New Year's Day bowl win and four players going in the first four rounds of the recent NFL draft.

My gut -- Rogers commits to Kentucky.
    Comments 16 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Here's something pretty remarkable--

According to Justin Rowland, if Justin Rogers committed to Kentucky today, the Cats would be ranked # 22 nationally, even though most of the teams ahead of them have significantly more commitments to make up their ranking. To put that in better persepctive, Kentucky's 4-star average would rank tied with GEORGIA and LSU, behind *only* Clemson, nationally.

Yeah, long way to signing day still, and all that. But starting where we're starting, odds of us being relatively happy on signing day are pretty good.
      Darrell KSR -
      One other pretty remarkable thing--Andru Phillips just got a Rivals.com rating bump, from 5.5 to 5.7. That's significant, and just barely under 4-star status. Super-high 3* now.

(By the way, this is where I advocated years ago for an improvement to the 5-star classification system, especially in football where there are so many players. There are WAY too many 3-star players. Everybody and their brother can tell the difference between a high 3-star player and a low 3-star player, if for no other reason, from the offer list. But they are "valued" the same.)

I would have moved it to a 7-star system. Tempted to say 10-star or 100-star, but for the most part, I don't like minute differences (for example, I don't think there's much difference between the # 17 and # 23 ranked basketball player), and I am concerned that expanding the star system TOO much might create that type of issue. Instead, I'd be fine with the difference between a 6-star player and a 5-star player.

But I digress.
      dtalbersjr -
      I agree Darrell. I like the way Rivals does it. Three tiers of 3 stars (5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 Rivals rating) three tier of 4 stars (5.8, 5.9 and 6.0) and one tier of 5 stars (6.1).

Not sure how they arrived at their numbers, but I like it.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      I agree Darrell. I like the way Rivals does it. Three tiers of 3 stars (5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 Rivals rating) three tier of 4 stars (5.8, 5.9 and 6.0) and one tier of 5 stars (6.1).

Not sure how they arrived at their numbers, but I like it.
      I can live with that. For my money, it's really a 8-star system (2*-9*).

2* 5.4/below
      3* 5.5
      4* 5.6
      5* 5.7
      6* 5.8
      7* 5.9
      8* 6.0
      9* 6.1/above

I like it.
      Terry Blue -
      We don't know that last year's record was the exception not the rule moving FORWARD. The way we're recruiting we can certainly be successful. I'm not sure if it will be 10 win successful every year
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      We don't know that last year's record was the exception not the rule moving FORWARD. The way we're recruiting we can certainly be successful. I'm not sure if it will be 10 win successful every year
      8-10 wins regularly and consistently would make me a lot happier than I have been with Kentucky football 🏈.
      But it has to be just that, regularly and consistently.
      But then too, you have to remember that I am that greedy fan that wants Kentucky to go undefeated in the SEC, win the SEC Championship Game, and then win the National Championship in football too! 🏈
      Yeah, I just want it ALL! 😎
      snoopcat -
      What is the expected time on the decision?
      dtalbersjr -
      Kentucky it is!

Unbelievable!
      Terry Blue -
      Can you believe it, beat out Bama, Ga, Mich, LSU, etc. Second straight year we've got the best player in Mich
      Darrell KSR -
      Fantastic.
      suncat05 -
      We are making good progress here. I'm happy for now, looking forward to seeing much more success in the future.
      UKHistory -
      Properly coaching players of this caliber, knowing a two star Josh Allen is possible if not rare in football, puts UK in a position to win 8 to 10 games a year.

The formula UK has with playing some weak non-conference foes plus UofL is a recipe for seven wins. Moving up the food chain with our talent puts in a position for 8 to 10 wins in the regular season.

Competing for a national playoff spot (what a great discussion to have about UK legitimately at this moment) will be difficult with 1) the perception of UK football and 2) the weaker non-conference schedule. I don't care if Bama or Notre Dame play a weak team, they will get a pass from the press based on a history of greatness.

That said let's have that conversation. Let's make those SEC commentators swallow the pill that UK is playing serious SEC football.
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Can you believe it, beat out Bama, Ga, Mich, LSU, etc. Second straight year we've got the best player in Mich
      So is Steve Clinkscale, who recruits Michigan maybe our most overlooked and underappreciated asset to our UK program? Let's not forget Deandre Square is also from Michigan and a future star at lb.
      Terry Blue -
      And the #3 player in Michigan, Enzo Jennings, visiting soon
      MickintheHam -
      Which rating services have Rogers a five star other than rivals? Which have him as a four star other than 24/7?
      Terry Blue -
      Don't know, those are big 2, ESPN is only other major service I'm aware of. Scout went in with 247
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post