Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats defeat South Carolina, 6-2

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Zack Thompson continued his dominance on the mound and the offense kept applying pressure as Kentucky scored a 6-2 victory over South Carolina at Founders Park in Sunday’s series finale.

Thompson, a junior left-hander, moved to 6-1 on the season and notched his 16th career victory with six effective innings, handcuffing the Gamecocks for just three hits and two runs. He struck out eight batters, moving into third on the school’s single-season list with 121 and fourth on the career list with 259. It was the Selma, Indiana native’s 10th consecutive quality start, which is defined by at least six innings pitched and three or fewer earned runs allowed.

The Cats (25-26, 7-20) scored in the first inning for the fourth straight game and took the lead for good with two runs in the fourth as they took control in the middle innings. Sophomore Coltyn Kessler, who has emerged as one of the club’s best hitters in his first season as a starter, reached base four times and drove in a pair of runs, while senior Ryan Shinn hit his 30th extra-base hit of the season as part of his team-leading 17th multi-hit game this year.

Thompson turned the game over to the bullpen in the seventh and watched as sophomore right-handers Daniel Harper and Carson Coleman posted three hitless innings to close out the game. Harper did not allow a hit and struck out six in six innings of work across three games this week, including Tuesday’s win over Indiana.

UK returns home to Kentucky Proud Park to face Michigan on Tuesday night in the final non-conference game of the regular season. First pitch is slated for 7 p.m. ET on the SEC Network.
    Comments 1 Comment
      catmanjack -
      Have read he has moved to a top 15 pick if not higher.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post