Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Hoak couldn't pass up opportunity to continue family legacy

By LARRY VAUGHT

He was born at the hospital at Ohio State, his father played at Ohio State, his uncle has been a coach for the Buckeyes and his cousin won a national title at Ohio State.

Those are some of the ties that quickly convinced former Kentucky quarterback Gunnar Hoak that transferring home to Ohio State as a graduate transfer was the right move for him.

Hoak, a three-star prospect from Dublin, Ohio, announced earlier this week he was transferring since returning starter Terry Wilson has two years of eligibility just like he does. He put his name into the transfer portal but Kentucky coach Mark Stoops quickly noted it was not a done deal and he hoped Hoak would stay at UK. He played in four games last season and threw for 167 yards and two scores by completing 13 of 26 passes.

New Ohio State coach Ryan Day has already added highly touted transfer Justin Fields of of Georgia, who is expected to be Ohio State’s starting quarterback. However, with two years of eligibility, Hoak will provide the Buckeyes a veteran backup in case Fields is injured during the Buckeye’s national championship hunt.

Hoak posted on social media that “some aspect of my life has always involved scarlet and gray” and talked about listening to his father’s stories about Ohio State coach Earl Bruce.

“While I have gained so much during my time in Lexington, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to continue a family legacy,” Gunnar Hoak posted.

He said he would like to “sincerely” thank UK coach Mark Stoops, offensive coordinator Eddie Gran and quarterback coach Darin Hinshaw for giving him a “chance to be part of the Big Blue Nation” as well as earn his degree.

“To my teammates and the fans, I’ll never forget the rush of coming out of the tunnel each week and being a part of taking the program to new heights. I wish Kentucky nothing but the best!” Hoak posted.

“To my parents, my girlfriend and my family, thank you for always supporting me no matter the circumstances.

“This weekend, I’m looking forward to walking across the stage at graduation to get my degree and then … I’m coming home! #GoBucks #ColumbusBound.”
    Comments 11 Comments
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      A lot of Kentucky fans are criticizing this decision. To me, it's a no-brainer. He made the right decision for himself. There is certainly enough reason for him to return home to Ohio. He's going to be a backup in either place for two years, barring injury or some other event. Why not be close to home, and play for a team competing for a national championship?
      Yep. Wish you would just delete the other thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      Darrell KSR -
      His brother.

@PiffHoak: @GunnarHoak12 Super excited to see my big brother play in scarlet and grey!! #gobucks
      Darrell KSR -
      His mother.

@holly_hoak: “For I know the plans I have for you...” Jeremiah 29:11. God is good! My boy is coming home! #GoBucks https://twitter.com/gunnarhoak12/sta...92875386138629
      kingcat -
      Thanks to the young man. Perhaps the change will up his game and he will see success he wouldn't have here.

You must at least give your hopes and dreams a fighting chance. And if that chance is in your back yard it is certainly a "no brain'er"
      Darrell KSR -
      Have no problem with his decision. Another good decision would be to stay at Kentucky. Another one might have been to find a school with a below average quarterback designated as the starter, but likely a lower level.

That's why I said it was a no brainer... For him. Personal decision, very supportable. Good luck to you, sorry you are leaving.
      Doc -
      I think people have an issue with it because it was reported he was transfering elsewhere so he could play. It seems likely that isn't the case unless tOSU puts him in when they are up 50 pts to Kennisaw St going into the 4th qtr.

Me, no issue with the choice regardless. He owes UK or its fans nothing. Maybe someday OUR program will be one that players dream of playing at. I hope his year in Columbus is great both on and off the field, and I hope he is always welcome and treated well by UK and its fans
      dan_bgblue -
      Seems a shame that he is going to Ohio to play for a turd coach.
      catmanjack -
      OSU has a new coach right?
      Doc -
      yes,Urban retired. New coach is Ryan Day
      Terminus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Have no problem with his decision. Another good decision would be to stay at Kentucky. Another one might have been to find a school with a below average quarterback designated as the starter, but likely a lower level.

That's why I said it was a no brainer... For him. Personal decision, very supportable. Good luck to you, sorry you are leaving.
      Agree, hate that he’s leaving due to our depth situation at the position, but certainly understand the decision given the family ties.
      Padukacat -
      Anytime we are losing kids to big time programs because they don't play here...im good with it.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post