Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Brennan Canada Joins UK Men’s Basketball as Walk-On

Canada scored more than 1,000 points during his career at George Rogers Clark in Kentucky

LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Kentucky men’s basketball team has added Brennan Canada out of George Rogers Clark High School in Winchester, Kentucky. Canada, a 6-foot-7 forward, will join the 2019-20 roster as a walk-on.

Canada was an All-10th Region First Team selection this past season after averaging 15.0 points and 9.5 rebounds per game as a senior. He averaged double-figure scoring in each of his last three seasons and totaled 1,371 points and 776 rebounds during his high school career.

“I’m excited to be joining the team,” Canada said. “It’s always been a dream of mine to wear a Kentucky jersey. I look forward to getting to work and chasing my dreams as a part of the Big Blue Nation.”

Canada is the fifth newcomer to join the Wildcats during the fall and spring signing periods. Tyrese Maxeynand Dontaie Allen signed with UK during the fall signing period and Keion Brooksinked his official paperwork during the spring period. Nate Sestina, a graduate transfer from Bucknell, also signed on to join the Wildcats in 2019-20.

Canada is a stretch four who can play both inside and outside. He’s expected to add valuable depth to a still-evolving 2019-20 roster. Five underclassmen from the 2018-19 squad have declared for the NBA Draft, although Nick Richards and EJ Montgomery have announced they are testing the waters and could still return. UK will also lose graduate student Reid Travis and senior Jonny David, who have exhausted their collegiate eligibility.

“Brennan had opportunities to play other places but wanted to be here and be a part of this,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “Anytime we can add a player from our state who can come in and help our program, I’m always for it. Brennan knows what we expect of our walk-ons. We know he will be great teammate and a valuable addition to our team. We are excited to have him join this program.”

Canada was a two-year captain for George Rogers Clark, where he posted 13 double-doubles in 2018-19 and made the 10th Regional All-Tournament Team. He was a three-time All-District Team selection and a three-time All-District Tournament Team pick.

In every season in the Calipari era, the Wildcats have signed a top-three recruiting class according to the Recruiting Services Consensus Index, which tallies major recruiting rankings and plugs them into a formula to calculate a consensus ranking.

The spring signing period began April 17 and lasts through May 15. UK can only comment on prospects who have signed official paperwork with the university.
    Comments 8 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Pic Attachment 7988
      DanISSELisdaman -
      Kid can shoot! He never missed a shot! I wonder if he has a left hand?
      dan_bgblue -
      Been a long time since I saw that many set shots in 5 minutes. If he ever gets into the game long enough to take a shot and Tom says "Canada with a jumper from the top of the key and it is GOOOD!!" You will know he was lying about the jumper part.
      kingcat -
      He looks comfortable out to 26 feet or more. Then again, he is going to need it with the elevation he gets on his shot.

Yet, welcome aboard young man. Great to have another Kentucky player with a shooting touch like that.
      Darrell KSR -
      He reminds me of Clyde Eads of Tulane, circa 1984. You couldn't slip a piece of notebook paper between his shoe and the floor on his jump shot. But very accurate that way.
      Doc -
      I actually had flashbacks to Kyle Wiltjer
      bigsky -
      Kyle W clone would be an awesome walkon
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post