Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• EJ Montgomery testing NBA Waters

This is expected, and I don't think there's anything to worry about. I don't think he'll be a first round pick, regardless of what he says. He should say that, for marketing purposes.

Comments 34 Comments
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      I'm not surprised at all. I totally expected it. As I expect that he will be back. It's a pretty weak draft after the first 5-6 this season (which probably leans towards him staying in it), but next year's draft is historically weak, which should bode well for the advice that he'll get that he can be a lottery pick.
      Carolinawildcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_ATH
      2m
      My guess is this is a purely informational move. Get good, clear feedback and go back to school. That “first-rounder” line is key. Cannot imagine he’s going to hear first-round feedback. Smart to get a thorough NBA evaluation, however.
      I suspect....the "Wow" part that I referenced is according to Matt Jones, he feels like he wants to stay in. I am also told this from another source. Good luck EJ!!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      catmanjack -
      Another melt down moment for UK fans.
      Darrell KSR -
      John Calipari @UKCoachCalipari
      39s
      EJ improved so much during the year. He helped us win games and made a difference in so many other games. I think it is smart for him and his family to explore what his options truly are. I have no doubt in mind that EJ has a bright future.

Whether the information says EJ should stay in the draft or come back for another year to prepare for the rest of his life, I’ll support his decision.”
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
      I suspect....the "Wow" part that I referenced is according to Matt Jones, he feels like he wants to stay in. I am also told this from another source. Good luck EJ!!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      I want to stay in the NBA draft, too. E.J. is slightly more likely to do it than me, but statistically, probably not as much as you think.
      dtalbersjr -

Peace

Richard (CW)
      Where are you getting this. Matt Jones literally JUST said this is good news and he think's he'll be back. Less than 5 minutes ago.
      dtalbersjr -
      Seriously, if anyone reads that statement and assumes he's gone, you just want to find something to be unhappy about.

He could make a bad decision and stay in, but there is nothing in that statement that is bad news.
      Carolinawildcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I want to stay in the NBA draft, too. E.J. is slightly more likely to do it than me, but statistically, probably not as much as you think.
      Don't sell yourself short D!! I think he comes back and has a heck of a year! Good luck to him in testing. Slightly concerned about the tone I am hearing, but in the end, think he returns stronger and much improved! Someone posted here during the season that he and Herro neither liked school....guess that is my concern.

Peace

Richard (CW)
      Carolinawildcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      Where are you getting this. Matt Jones literally JUST said this is good news and he think's he'll be back. Less than 5 minutes ago.
      Sweet...lol
      Genuine Realist -
      He's going to find them pretty cold.
      anderwt -
      The process is to see if you can get a first round promise.. they have given him the evaluation already..he won’t get one, and I don’t trust the agent process now
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post
      He's going to find them pretty cold.
      lol. That sentence....internet winner.
      Carolinawildcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      The process is to see if you can get a first round promise.. they have given him the evaluation already..he won’t get one, and I don’t trust the agent process now
      Cal never stops recruiting for a reason We will be fine either way! I agree on the agent deal!!

GO CATS!!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      Darrell KSR -
      LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky men’s basketball freshman forward EJ Montgomery announced Friday that he plans to submit his name for the 2019 NBA Draft. Under new NCAA rules, Montgomery can sign with an NCAA-certified agent, receive feedback and still return to school.

Montgomery will have until May 29 (10 days after the NBA Draft Combine) to make a final decision as to whether he wishes to remain in the draft or return to Kentucky.

“First of all, I want to thank God because none of this would be possible without Him,” Montgomery said. “Thank you to my family for their love and support. Thank you to Coach Cal and the coaching staff for challenging me to be the best player and young man I can be.

“With that being said, I have sat down with Coach Cal and my family and decided to take full advantage of the rules that are in place and enter my name in the draft process. My goal is to be a first-rounder. If the information I receive supports that, my plan is to stay in the draft and pursue my dreams of playing in the NBA. Thank you BBN for your love and support through this important time in my life.”

Montgomery is the fourth underclassman from the 2018-19 Wildcats to declare for the 2019 NBA Draft, which will be held June 20 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Sophomore forward PJ Washington and freshman guards Tyler Herro and Keldon Johnson have all announced they will remain in the draft and forgo their collegiate eligibility.

Montgomery has not yet determined his final status. As in years past, players can submit paperwork to receive evaluations from the NBA and participate – if invited – in the NBA Draft Combine. At this time, Montgomery plans to utilize the current rules in place.

“EJ improved so much during the year,” head coach John Calipari said. “He helped us win games and made a difference in so many other games. I think it is smart for him and his family to explore what his options truly are. I have no doubt in mind that EJ has a bright future. Whether the information says EJ should stay in the draft or come back for another year to prepare for the rest of his life, I’ll support his decision.”

The 6-foot-10 forward out of Fort Pierce, Florida, appeared in all 37 games for the Wildcats during his freshman campaign, including making 10 starts. He averaged 3.8 points and 4.1 rebounds per game, while charting 38 total blocks, 16 steals and 15 assists. Montgomery ranked third on the team in blocks and led the team in that category in 14 games.

In his NCAA Tournament debut, he snagged 11 rebounds against Abilene Christian. Montgomery recorded his first career double-double with 11 points and 13 boards in a win over South Carolina. Against No. 1 Tennessee, he charted six points and four boards in just nine minutes. Two offensive rebounds in the second half helped spark a late comeback on the road at Florida, and he had 10 points and seven rebounds against Southern Illinois.

Since Calipari joined the Wildcat program for the 2009-10 season, UK has produced 35 NBA Draft picks over nine seasons, nearly twice as many as the next-closest school (Duke). Included in the 35 are 26 first-rounders, three No. 1 overall picks and 19 lottery selections.

Of the 25 players at UK who have declared for the NBA Draft after their freshman seasons, 23 have been first-round draft picks. All 25 have played a game in the NBA.

The 2019 NBA Draft Combine will take place May 15-19 in Chicago, although it hasn’t been determined yet if Montgomery will participate. The 2019 NBA Draft is June 20 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.
      kybobcat -
      Kids don't come to Kentucky to play college basketball.
      anderwt -
      Cal never stops recruiting for a reason We will be fine either way! I agree on the agent deal!!

GO CATS!!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      I’m numb to it all now.. it’s laughable, he isn’t on a draft board.. oh well
      KentuckyWildcat -
      He may have to come back, but I'd bet he doesn't want to come back. Feedback? His weakness are obvious, he doesn't an NBA team to do that.
      anderwt -
      I THINK he will come back..but I think you have to prepare yourself that he stays in..
      Darrell KSR -
      Shawn Smith @gbbcountry
      26m
      PJ Washington went through workouts and was told exactly what he needed to do to become a first round pick. PJ came back with a knock down jumper while becoming a better scorer facing up and with his back to the basket. EJ can find out what he needs to do and then make a decision

Shawn Smith @gbbcountry
      I see some questioning EJ’s decision. This doesn’t mean he’s leaving and why not take advantage of the rule? Go test the process and find out what you need to do to become a first round pick. If that’s his goal, go test it and get the feedback.
      Philly Cat -
      Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
      He may have to come back, but I'd bet he doesn't want to come back. Feedback? His weakness are obvious, he doesn't an NBA team to do that.
      Newsflash: Not one, single player on UK's roster wants to come back. They all want to play in the NBA, and if they have a chance to be drafted with guaranteed money, each and every one of them would leave.

EJ won't leave because he won't have that opportunity.

I really don't get the big deal on these announcements. They're all preliminary, and they're only taking advantage of a hugely helpful process that gives free, impartial feedback to players. In your job, what if someone said: You can "test the waters" and audition for the role of CEO of the company with a $1M salary, and you can come back if you don't like what you hear. You eventually want to be CEO, but you don't know if you have what it takes, or if now is the right time to apply for the job. Why not test the waters, sit for an interview, and learn from the Board of Directors what improvements you need to make for when you eventually apply for the job? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this is just too easy -- every UK player should take advantage of this process (admittedly, you can only do it once, but everyone should do it once).
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post