Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• EJ Montgomery testing NBA Waters

This is expected, and I don't think there's anything to worry about. I don't think he'll be a first round pick, regardless of what he says. He should say that, for marketing purposes.

Comments 34 Comments
      ukpumacat -
      I think he will be back so am not concerned there. What is more concerning is that he is clearly not a 1st rounder and I believe you can only “test the waters” once. Which means he’s gone after next year.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      I think you can do it every year now
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      I think he will be back so am not concerned there. What is more concerning is that he is clearly not a 1st rounder and I believe you can only “test the waters” once. Which means he’s gone after next year.
      No, the rule changed a couple of years ago and you can declare for the draft at least twice, but maybe more. It's a bit unclear but this is what the NBA CBA says in Article X, Section 8(c):

"(c) An Early Entry player who is eligible to be selected in the next NBA Draft pursuant to Section 1(b)(ii)(F) or (b)(ii)(G)(3) above shall be entitled to withdraw from such Draft by providing written notice that is received by the NBA ten (10) days prior to such Draft. A player shall not be entitled to withdraw from more than two (2) NBA Drafts."

This seems to suggest a player can enter, and withdraw from, two drafts, but not more. The NCAA allows for unlimited withdrawals.

Accordingly, I see no reason why everyone wouldn't declare after their freshman and sophomore years.
      catmanjack -
      If this was possible in the 70,80 or 90’s kids would have left school at this same pace.
      There isn’t one kid at any school that would turn down getting paid to play ball.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
      Newsflash: Not one, single player on UK's roster wants to come back. They all want to play in the NBA, and if they have a chance to be drafted with guaranteed money, each and every one of them would leave.

EJ won't leave because he won't have that opportunity.

I really don't get the big deal on these announcements. They're all preliminary, and they're only taking advantage of a hugely helpful process that gives free, impartial feedback to players. In your job, what if someone said: You can "test the waters" and audition for the role of CEO of the company with a $1M salary, and you can come back if you don't like what you hear. You eventually want to be CEO, but you don't know if you have what it takes, or if now is the right time to apply for the job. Why not test the waters, sit for an interview, and learn from the Board of Directors what improvements you need to make for when you eventually apply for the job? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think this is just too easy -- every UK player should take advantage of this process (admittedly, you can only do it once, but everyone should do it once).
      But that isn't really the process and it certainly is not a news flash. And no, I'm not mad or making a big deal. I assume they are all gone already. I assume they all leave or transfer, which is sad because I'm fairly numb to it.

If he wants the experience fine, I've done that. If he wants to do interviews and tryouts to get that experience, then great. But they don't need feedback on what to improve on or their draft status. They have that available to them already. To me, this translates to "I hope I'm making shots during my workouts".
      catmanjack -
      There are those that do get upset with the kids and them wanting to leave which I don’t get.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
      But that isn't really the process and it certainly is not a news flash. And no, I'm not mad or making a big deal. I assume they are all gone already. I assume they all leave or transfer, which is sad because I'm fairly numb to it.

If he wants the experience fine, I've done that. If he wants to do interviews and tryouts to get that experience, then great. But they don't need feedback on what to improve on or their draft status. They have that available to them already. To me, this translates to "I hope I'm making shots during my workouts".
      Yep. Or I hope some dumbass NBA player personnel guy sees something in me that everyone else doesn't and gives me a guarantee [like that matters anyway].

Not that I blame him. NBA player personnel people do some really dumb stuff sometimes.
      Padukacat -
      I think its pretty clear that EJ isn't ready or at least the timing isn't near optimal to really test the waters, so that's what makes me think it is silly. I'm sure he will get feedback but he could get that information by asking Cal or through various other channels so I don't think truly testing the waters is necessary. I mean we know his stock will improve considerably just based on what we've seen, so even if he is a first rounder now he could have a shot at the lottery next year. He is currently UK's best returning NBA prospect, which usually bodes well considering out top 2-3 performers have a shot at the lottery.
      dtalbersjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      I think its pretty clear that EJ isn't ready or at least the timing isn't near optimal to really test the waters, so that's what makes me think it is silly. I'm sure he will get feedback but he could get that information by asking Cal or through various other channels so I don't think truly testing the waters is necessary. I mean we know his stock will improve considerably just based on what we've seen, so even if he is a first rounder now he could have a shot at the lottery next year. He is currently UK's best returning NBA prospect, which usually bodes well considering out top 2-3 performers have a shot at the lottery.

Fortunately for EJ and the rest of our players, you don't have anything to do with his decision making process.
      Harlow -
      He gets pushed around like pinball lol good luck! Give me Blackshear
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      Fortunately for EJ and the rest of our players, you don't have anything to do with his decision making process.
      Yeah I’m a freaking idiot no doubt, because I think there are currently 3 players from the cal era still in the nba that were drafted 20 or later. Darius miller, hami Diallo, and Jared Vanderbilt. Thatll probably be 1 in a few years. So yeah, if it’s apparent you have mid first round potential but are sitting in the second round or even late first, I’d say it’s best to keep your mind focused on developing another year in college with the whole world watching as you star on a national contender. Now if the family is in really bad shape I get it, roll the dice for that one contract, but know that it will likely be your last.
      bigsky -
      Who’s next?
      catmanjack -
      Almost covers the whole team.
      kingcat -
      The only thing that concerns me about testing the waters when you are pretty much sure to return is the advice they may get.
      When doing so I am certain they are approached by people without their best interests at heart both within and outside their immediate circle, despite all Cal and others can do.

I also believe many times upon returning they are told to work on certain aspects of their game and avoid getting hurt. A young man hearing such things from those around him can lead to problems by lessening the importance of their college experience imo. And for me, it gives the appearance of running an NBA farm team.

Personally, I wish they either declared once or stayed in school. Pro day is enough to tell them what they need to know.
      But since the rules allow it, exploiting it is all you can do.
  • KSR Twitter Feed