Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Kentucky basketball given time to plan and recruit by NBA early decisions

By LARRY VAUGHT

Certainly it would have made Kentucky a better team next year if PJ Washington, Keldon Johnson and Tyler Herro had all decided to play another year for the Cats rather than heading to the NBA.

Same with Jemarl Baker, who has decided to transfer rather than return for his redshirt sophomore season where his 3-point shooting and defense certainly could have been a big asset for John Calipari's team.

Yet the positive here is that it is only April 17th and Calipari knows they will all be missing next season and has time to plan and recruit accordingly. He can look for another graduate transfer -- he already has one in Bucknell's Nate Sestina. He could still sign a high school senior or he might find a player who decides late to reclassify from the 2020 to 2019 class like he did with Jamal Murray a few years back.

It's not like Kentucky is going to be without talent next year. USA Today has Kentucky No. 2 in its early preseason poll for next year. Sporting News puts Kentucky at No. 3 and CBS Sports has UK No. 4.

The Cats return starting point guard Ashton Hagans -- all other four starters are gone (Washington, Johnson, Herro and Travis Reid). They also return two bigs -- EJ Montgomery and Nick Richards. Both should benefit from what they learned from Travis and Washington this year. Guard Immanuel Quickley also returns and can play either guard spot -- and could be UK's best 3-point shooter.

Point guard Tyrese Maxey headlines the incoming freshman class. Wing Kahlil Whitney is a big-time talent. Same with Keion Brooks, who can play anywhere from the three to even center for brief periods if needed. Pendleton County's Dontaie Allen could be a needed outside shooting threat if he's recovered from his torn ACL fully.

Then there is grad transfer Nate Sestina, a 6-9 player who can stretch the court with his 3-point shooting.

Very few coaches in the country would not be happy to start next season with that group and take their chances. But Calipari has always shown a creative way to find just the pieces he needs to put a roster together in surprising ways and thanks to the early decisions that Washington, Johnson, Herro and even Baker made, it gives him even more time this year to do that than he's had most seasons.
    Comments 1 Comment
      CatQuick -
      I don't remember which writer made this comment, but in the past April has been sort of this dead time where college basketball takes a breather after the national championship game. Suddenly, April may have become the most important month of the year in terms of putting together a roster for next year. It almost makes any sort of next season top twenty five views totally meaningless until we get to late summer and truly know transfers, late decommits, and re-classifies. I trust Cal to figure out this new world and leverage it ahead other coaches.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post