Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• SPRING PRACTICE COME TO AN END WITH A HOPEFUL OUTCOME

BY: LONNY DEMAREE

The Wildcat football team just wrapped their last practice before the spring game. Mark Stoops said he is pleased with the session and fortunate not to have any major injuries. He like Eddie Gran said their most immediate goal is to come out of the spring game with the aforementioned Scenario.

Stoops said - “It’s been a very productive spring. The guys have put in a lot of work. They are looking to wrap it up tomorrow.” He said they stretch it out over five weeks practicing three days a week and on off days lifting and doing film study. “We have a long way to go but that’s what spring is for.” Stoops said they have some obvious holes to fill but he said they have some obvious strengths in other areas of the team.

The coaches are measured somewhat in their comments on the quarterback position so I will address the comments from CJ Conrad about Terry Wilson. These coming from a man who had only thirty reception that if the emphasis wasn’t so strong Benny Snell, how many could he have had?

Conrad said – “I expect huge things out of Wilson. I think he’s going to be one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC this year. He’s just scratching the surface given his 67.2 percentage completion rate. For a first time starter this is the single season best in UK history. I’m really pumped for Terry. I think he has a huge ceiling. The dude is extremely athletic.

Stoops said the loss of the five defensive backs is one of those areas to be watched in the game. Stoops said it’s hard to tell the improvement of those replacement players. “I think tomorrow will be a little bit of a determining factor for that,” Stoops said. “Tomorrow, honestly they will be put in some bad situations where they won’t be protected much. I don’t know if it will be a true indicator but we’ll know a lot more. We’ll be pretty vanilla and things will be geared up for the offense.”

One of the defensive backs that has drawn some praise this spring is junior college transfer Brandin Echols. In my interview with this morning he said he’s going to step up and be a leader. “That’s a hard position to cast yourself into but I’m going to let my play do my talking for me, Echols said.”

Stoops said that he split the squad for the game competitively for each side. The quarterbacks will be in gray jerseys so each will have their chances with each team.

Stoops said Josh Paschal is a little bit frustrated because he wants to come out and be dominant player that he was having gone through all he’s been through. Stoops said he has talks with him from time to time and keeps him pumped up and Stoops said he has all the confidence he will get back. Remember at this time last year he was supposed to be the dominant pass rusher.

Every team no matter the tradition has successful walk on’s. Sophomore defensive lineman Colin Hartman 6-foot-4, 290-pounds is potentially that man from Somerset, Kentucky. “Quintin Bohanna said – “You can tell them when they want to get better because when they mess up run to the coach to find out what they did wrong.”

Season ticket sales are brisk and out distancing last year at this time.

“Josh Ali had a good scrimmage last Saturday but needs consistency,” Stoops said about his receiver. “He has emerged this spring.”

Freddie Maggard has been instrumental in returning for spring activities 106-former players and with their guest numbering over 300 people.
  • KSR Twitter Feed