Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Who is going to be the One or Ones to Step up At Receiver?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

The one proven big play maker at the Wide receiver position is junior to be Lynn Bowden but who’ll be the next people to toe-tap in the end zone?

In the opening spring practice press conference Mark Stoops expressed pleasure that Wide receiver coach Michael stayed with the Wildcats. Smith had other attractive overtures made toward him but there perhaps there is something attractive caused him to say no to the other universities. The other assistants say it’s their boss.

Going into the spring break Stoops said Ahmad Wagner was dealing with a hamstring but would be back for the resumption of practice. The University of Iowa transfer used last season to re-acclimate himself to the game of football after having concentrated on basketball for two years. Last season he was targeted four times and drew three defensive pass interference calls on the opposition. No doubt his 6-foot-6, 235-pound frame precipitated that kind of coverage. So Stoops no doubt is looking for the big guy to be a key cog in the wide receiver room. Both the coaches we spoke with today said that Wagner is going to be an integral part of the offense. Asking Wagner what he thought was the reason why he drew those interference calls and he said “when they see me out there with my size they know they have got to get up into me to stop me.” Gran said at Missouri when he made the tough catch they had no choice but to make the interference call. Wagner said his Pro idol is Julio Jones. I also like (Calvin) “Megatron” (Johnson). They are big guys like me that I try to emulate.

The only early receiver enrollee is DeMarcus Harris from Vero Beach, Florida. So it’s pretty obvious he is going to receive a lot of attention this spring to see if he can legitimize the big numbers he put up in high school. “I talk to DeMarcus Harris and he’s going to be in the mix,” Coach Michael Smith said. “I’ve been really impressed with Josh Ali and Isaiah Epps and the things they are doing.

“Josh Ali and Isaiah Epps made a couple of big plays today and Akeem (Hayes) is doing some good things,” Eddie Gran said. Hayes has that consistent burner type speed coaches are looking for. Gran said “Brice Oliver is what you are looking for as wide receiver. That physical stature – he can run and is physical.”

Smith said “one of the things I Iook at when I recruit is good kids and that’s one of the reason I things DeMarcus I think is going to make him a good player. DeMarcus is a good kid and think that’s one of the reasons in the first four days of practice he’s made the progress he has. He’s a smart football player and he loves playing the game.

Smith was courted by some other football schools to make a move. Asked why he chose to stay at Kentucky he said – “I believe in what coach Stoops and these guys are doing here at Kentucky. From a personal standpoint I didn’t want to be a one-and-done guy. I think that some of the things that Mark (Stoops) and the guys are doing are the things I believe in.” He said it was a blessing and quite frankly flattering but I like these kids and when he sat down with his wife and kids they felt that Kentucky is the place to be right now.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post