Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Senior Day not just for Kentucky seniors

By LARRY VAUGHT

Today will be the final game at Kentucky for seniors Reid Travis and Jonny David. However, it could also be the final Rupp Arena appearance for other players who may opt to leave UK early for the NBA.

Certainly sophomore PJ Washington, who almost left UK after his freshman year, has done everything to secure himself a spot in the first round of the NBA draft.

"PJ hasn’t made a decision yet, but if PJ decides this is it, reflect back on your career. Reflect back on the two years that you’ve had here. What did you learn? How did you learn it? What did you walk out of here with? Because whatever that is, it’s going to last you for the rest of your life," Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne said Friday when asked what Washington should reflect on today if he does decided to leave.

Washington said Friday he had not "really thought about" Saturday being his final game at Rupp Arena.

"I’m just trying to go out with my teammates and have a special moment with Jonny and with Reid and just try go out there and get a W," Washington said.

He says the season has flown by from the exhibition games in the Bahamas until now.

"I can remember having so much fun throughout the season and it’s just fun to look back and see how much we’ve grown so far," Washington said. "I’ve done a lot here and I’ve grown a lot here. This place is really special to me and I don’t know how I’m going to feel (Saturday). I’m just going to go in with a happy heart and just try get a win.”

Washington said the team's mindset changed several months ago and will carry over to postseason play starting next week.

"We’re just out to win every game and be focused in practice and walk throughs and stuff like that. Just to focus on every opponent and not take anybody lightly," Washington said. "We’ve been doing that and we know everybody’s going to give us their best game of the season. We’ve just gotta come out and be the aggressor.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      PJ is the best example of a kid who kept his head screwed on straight and benefitted.

I'd like them all to finish four years of college, become educated, be vested with graduation credentials that mean something (I'm looking at you, UNC-CH), and mature so they can handle "life." But absent that, I just want them prepared for the NBA.

PJ is at least prepared for the NBA. And certainly, he's more educated, he's closer to being vested with graduation credentials that mean something, and he's more mature today than he was 365 days ago. All of those are very good things, and likely will benefit him not just for one year, but for life.
      exactly. IMO the "players first" attitude should not be get them to the NBA asap, but rather get them there where they have the best chance to succeed at both the professional sports level as well as after. To me, that is what taking the players best interest is about. PJ's move was 100% correct.
      Darrell KSR -
      Doc, I agree just as you stated it. More of them would benefit by sticking around 2 years, like PJ (he's ready now), or some 3 years, or even 4. It's not a disgrace to be Tayshaun Prince or Willie Cauley-Stein. Just shows they're smart and apparently received good advice, and/or figured it out themselves.

Of course, I think Anthony Davis needed 3 more years of college "seasoning" myself .
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Doc, I agree just as you stated it. More of them would benefit by sticking around 2 years, like PJ (he's ready now), or some 3 years, or even 4. It's not a disgrace to be Tayshaun Prince or Willie Cauley-Stein. Just shows they're smart and apparently received good advice, and/or figured it out themselves.

Of course, I think Anthony Davis needed 3 more years of college "seasoning" myself

Had that happened, imagine how good he would be now!!!
      kingcat -
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post