Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Baker experiencing shooting slump like he's never had before

By LARRY VAUGHT

At the end of Kentucky's 27-point win over Auburn Saturday, redshirt freshman guard Jemarl Baker hit an outside shot. It was not a 3-pointer, but it was still a make that Baker needed.

“Definitely, it felt good to get one going in. So hopefully tomorrow, I can knock down a couple of more," Baker said Monday.

Kentucky host Arkansas tonight in Rupp Arena and has four more SEC games left in regular-season play. If it wins out, it assures itself of no worse than a first-place tie in the league race and a likely No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Baker making 3-point shots could help Kentucky. He is just 9-for-33 from 3-point range, a 27.3 percent mark in 19 games. That's not exactly what one would expect from the player that former Cat Shai Gilgeous-Alexander said last year was the best shooter on the team. Overall, he's averaging 8.9 minutes, 1.9 points and 0.6 rebounds per game.

He went 2-for-2 from 3-point range against Georgia and Vanderbilt, but in the last seven games he's just 1-for-11 from 3-point range.

He said "never in my life" has he had a shooting slump like this.

"I’ve been working hard and hopefully, I’ll get out of it soon. I’ve been working. I’ve been making shots in my workouts, making shots in practice, so it’s only a matter of time," Baker said.

What happens between practice when shots go in and game day when they do not?

“It just happens. It happens to everybody. Great shooters, pros, it happens to everybody. You just keep working and you stay confident and they’ll start to go in," Baker said. “He (coach John Calipari) just tells me to continue to play, continue to shoot and just continue to be me. I’ve been defending. I’ve been doing everything I can and when my shots start falling, it will be that much better.”

Baker has not let missing shots impact other parts of his game, especially defensively.

"That’s what I’ve done all my life, so it’s nothing different for me. I’ve just been going out there and playing hard," Baker said.
    Comments 20 Comments
      UKHistory -
      it would be awesome for him to catch fire in the tournament. Scouting reports won't have much on him.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      it would be awesome for him to catch fire in the tournament. Scouting reports won't have much on him.
      That's the plan.... that's the TWEEK
      kybobcat -
      The scouting reports have enough information about his potential prowess.

Hitting shots in practice is one thing. But it's a lot harder to hit shots with someone in your grill, particularly when you've been chased all over the court before you get some daylight.

Ask Tyler Herro.
      catmanjack -
      Herro hit 95 in practice remember.
      Baker sounds a lot like Mulder.
      Hit them in practice and struggle in games.
      UKRxman93 -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Herro hit 95 in practice remember.
      Baker sounds a lot like Mulder.
      Hit them in practice and struggle in games.
      I’m not throwing Baker under the irrelevant bus just yet.
      catmanjack -
      His minutes seem to be declining, with hard work he could get his shot back.
      UKFlounder -
      My hope is he's just shaking off rust after sitting out for so long and playing now, then having spring summer and fall to rehab and contribute next year will make a big difference.

I think he still might hit a big shot or two this year, but perhaps he's just a role player with limited minutes for this season and will improve as he plays more.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by kybobcat View Post
      The scouting reports have enough information about his potential prowess.

Hitting shots in practice is one thing. But it's a lot harder to hit shots with someone in your grill, particularly when you've been chased all over the court before you get some daylight.

Ask Tyler Herro.
      You don't think the competition in practice is better than game time?

It's much better.

It's just in his head right now. People go through slumps. It's much like the Booker shooting slump.

Herro didn't have that issue. It was a change in mechanics that he needed more repetitions. He still has to get over his own mental barrier, road vs homes.
      Padukacat -
      Klay Thompson had a shooting slump as did booker, two of the best in the world. Best thing to do is have short term memory. Harder to do with less reps like baker.
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      My hope is he's just shaking off rust after sitting out for so long and playing now, then having spring summer and fall to rehab and contribute next year will make a big difference.

I think he still might hit a big shot or two this year, but perhaps he's just a role player with limited minutes for this season and will improve as he plays more.
      Great take. People seem to forget that from a playing perspective Baker is about halfway through his freshman year. Of course, he is more advanced than that and I agree he is likely to be a nice contributor going forward.

I also question being in a "slump" when he is getting so few shots. Regardless, hoping for the best for him.
      kybobcat -
      You don't think the competition in practice is better than game time?

Nope. I don't believe they can simulate the intensity of other teams. Plus, no matter how much they try, it's impossible to mimic the pressure that comes when the game starts.

Herro is finally starting to adjust; Baker hasn't got there yet.
      kingcat -
      Take ten minutes of action from almost every player and you will see some poor shooting, unforced turnovers, and poor defense. In a recent game Herros name was not mentioned nor was he involved in a play for the first ten minutes of the game.

Baker has struggled getting hot from three, but limited minutes will do that. Cam Mills was able to do it as a senior. Baker on the other hand can do some things Cam could never do.

The kid will be a good player here. An Epps like talent.
      blueboss -
      Tonight would be a good game to try and shoot his way out of his current slump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by kybobcat View Post
      Plus, no matter how much they try, it's impossible to mimic the pressure that comes when the game starts.
      Yep. Josh Carrier really was a good shooter outside of games. Saw it myself several times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
      Yep. Josh Carrier really was a good shooter outside of games. Saw it myself several times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      I think Baker brings more to the table than Josh did. He has seen quality minutes this season and been trusted with the ball in critical situations,, even when his number was not the one being called.
      You would think he'd be turnover prone or the like, but he is smart and savy with the ball and a pretty good defender. I know some still doubt that but even Cal has been pleased with that part of his game.

It stands out like a sore thumb when he makes a mistake because he is, as strange as it sounds, under the proverbial microscope and expected to prove his value as compared to Quade. Before that, he was either never to contribute to this team, or even play at all.
      Some had pegged him as only one of the victory cigars that we yell "shoot" to whenever they touch the ball.

I think he's a kid who is going to surprise everyone over his career here at UK, but will also endure the ire of some whenever he struggles. Much like Briscoe and others who assumed the role of the non OAD'er UK fans preferred to dislike. That's not knocking any fan but just identifying a by product of the tremendous recruiting Cal has done here.

Then again, like everyone else on the team Baker has also deserved some criticism. First year players do struggle at times.
      ukblue -
      Ever since Cal has been at U K he’s said if you can’t defend you can’t play. Baker is a terrible defender and a offensive player that’s not scoring or defending. How ???
      catmanjack -
      Hope he sticks but he is going to get recruited over and if he can’t hit shots will not play.
      Powermaker -
      I read elsewhere that he hit 34% in high school . If true , not exactly a deadeye shooter .
      kingcat -
      He may have blackmailed Cal to play here. Or Cal just forgot to check out how good he was

We have a very good team and he plays on that team. We should support him.
      If someone thinks Cal has screwed up helping the young man through his injuries and giving him playing time then he is the one to blame...not the young man. Some have been pulling against him from the start which I don’t really understand. His situation is not much different than EJ’s.
      Except Bakers been out of basketball a long while
      ukblue -
      Cal is the only one to blame or have seen blame concerning Baker. Baker, like any player plays to the limits of his gifts and every time he hits a shot I am excited for him When he doesn’t guard or rebound not so much.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post