Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Kentucky defeats # 1 Tennessee; Vols make no excuses

By LARRY VAUGHT

Not only was Tennessee ranked No. 1 in the nation, but the Vols had won 19 straight games and were unbeaten in Southeastern Conference play before Kentucky won 86-69 Saturday night in Lexington.

After Kentucky once had a 24-point lead and clearly had the game won, UK students and fans started that infamous "overrated" chant. But Kentucky coach John Calipari wanted none of that and signaled for fans to stop -- and they did.

"I know how good Tennessee is and that's why I told our fans, enough of the they're overrated. They're not overrated. Probably underrated," Calipari said. "People don't realize.

"When you have a team like that that's been together, that their assist-to-turnover ratio is off the charts, when they create shots for each other, like they do, when they're that physical with an inside and an outside game, where they don't rely on 3's. They only shoot 18 threes a game, like us. We shot 13 today. They shot a bunch more today. But on average they're shooting 17 or 18.

"They're not winning shooting 3. They're winning playing basketball and they're unbelievable defensively and we got them today, but we got to go up to Knoxville. Do we have to go up to Knoxville?"

Yes, Kentucky does go to Knoxville March 2 for an atmosphere that will be likely as intense as what the Vols faced in front of over 24,000 fans Saturday night.

Credit the Vols for making no excuses about their defeat.

“We were exposed tonight for things that we’ve talked about like defending and rebounding," Tennessee junior Grant Williams said.

“From the jump, we weren’t aggressive, and we didn’t establish our inside game," Tennessee point guard Jordan Bone said. "It was hard to flip that script in the second half. We didn’t come out intense enough like we were supposed to. We settled a lot in the beginning, we couldn’t get inside.

"But, they did a good job shrinking the court and getting the ball. I feel like there was a point where we just hit a wall mentally and we just folded. We hit a tired point in the first half and we just didn’t push through like we normally do. So, we have to learn from that.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      Doc -
      the overrated chant makes no sense. you are dissing your team
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I was thrilled to see Calipari hush the crowd's chant of "overrated," by the way. I despise that chant. Almost as much as cowbell.
      Appeared to take about 5 seconds or less from the time he started waving until the time you could have heard an Admiral flop on the floor from the upper deck.
      DanISSELisdaman -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Appeared to take about 5 seconds or less from the time he started waving until the time you could have heard an Admiral flop on the floor from the upper deck.
      You da man Dan!
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I was thrilled to see Calipari hush the crowd's chant of "overrated," by the way. I despise that chant. Almost as much as cowbell.
      I feel exactly the same
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post