Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Beating Kentucky a career highlight

By LARRY VAUGHT

The first thing LSU forward Emmitt Williams wanted to do after his team beat Kentucky 73-71 in Rupp Arena Tuesday night was give a "shout-out" to Kentucky.

"They played a good game, and I’ve known those guys since high school, and it was amazing to play against them," Williams said. "I know Keldon Johnson, PJ Washington, Nick Richards, all those guys. They played a great game tonight, but LSU came out with the win.

"Shout-out to (our team), they played hard. It was fun tonight. This was a fun game. No one got hurt, which was the best part of the game. Everyone on my side was happy.”

LSU guard Skylar Mays said it was "unbelievable" to win in Rupp Arena.

"Especially winning that way in a place with so much prestige. We have a ton of respect for Kentucky. Every team that plays them, you mark that on your calendar. They’re a great team. They gave us all we could handle, and we just happened to come out on top," Mays said. “This is probably one of the biggest highlights (of my career).”

Mays said LSU had to make second-half adjustments after being down 40-32 at halftime.

"The goal for us was to get to the rim, but they have a lot of length. A lot of us, we weren’t able to finish as well as we liked, but we just tried to stay the course, stick with our game, and just keep executing," Mays said.

The SEC had been viewed as a two-team race between Tennessee, 10-0 in SEC play going into tonight's game against South Carolina, and Kentucky, now 9-2. But the win lifts LSU to 10-1 and it will host the Vols Feb. 23. Tennessee plays at Kentucky Saturday.

"I don’t think we look at that as much. I think we just look at the next game on the schedule," Mays said. "Obviously, Kentucky is different from a lot of other teams, but we just continue to stay the course. Now, we have to look at film and see what we could have done better this game so we don’t make the same mistakes against Georgia on Saturday."
    Comments 8 Comments
      wes011 -
      Happy for those guys. Atleast the appreciate what they accomplished.
      catmanjack -
      Exactly very happy for that, they will talk about that to their grand kids.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      The emphasis on the point that they had this game circled on their calendar and what a win would mean should not only validate, but emphasize, that this team isn't on some sort of regression. Instead they just met a point in time where some flaws in their game were neutralized by sheer will, talent, and preparation.

It happens sometimes. Our guys have to be ON for 35 - 40 games each season, basically carrying the "burden of expectations" and juggle their own personal challenges with that. It's understandable. It's just a path to confidence that when the brightest lights shine, they're ready to play.
      Darrell KSR -
      Like others have said, if you don't think Kentucky isn't every team's Super Bowl.....

LSU now has a commemorative t-shirt for sale for this game. Indiana may have to take a back seat to their trophy for beating Kentucky in December.

If you want one, you can buy it here.

https://breakingt.com/products/the-t...1104246.2c29d6

catmanjack -
      It’s good for them heck UK has done so many great things we stop celebrating some things.
      Darrell KSR -
      I am glad that they are enjoying some success and measure it with respect to games against Kentucky. But for my brother, and me, at least to a lesser extent now, losing to LSU is a little bit like losing to Louisville for those of you in the Commonwealth.

If I had time, I was going to actually superimpose the LSU's player's hand on the ball on that T-shirt.
      UKHistory -
      The loss stings. I chuckle at the shirt. But I don’t discount how folks around the Bayou would feel after that loss.

IN DC I see many rivals but not in great numbers. Makes it easier.
      KeithKSR -
      As long as your season’s success is based upon beating Kentucky these teams will never be significant in the grand scheme of things. If you look at the season goals of every national title contender you won’t see “beating _________” listed.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post