Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Cats flex muscles in physical win over Gamecocks, 76-48

By LARRY VAUGHT

How physical was Kentucky's 76-48 win over South Carolina?

Well, it depends on who you ask.

“It was really tough, we felt like they were fouling every time, but we knew they were going to do that coming in so we were prepared for it, so we just tried to play physical as well down low," said Kentucky sophomore PJ Washington, who had 20 points and five rebounds. "We did a great job at that. Forcing them to get into foul trouble and then getting to the free throw line and making our free throws."

Freshman EJ Montgomery had his first double-double -- 11 points, 13 rebounds -- and said the game plan was to be physical.

"To go out there and play physical and just hit first before they hit us. That’s what we did," Montgomery said.

South Carolina is a team known for its physical play. But don't tell that to South Carolina coach Frank Martin.

"We continued to struggle with physicality anytime we play a team that plays with physicality. We haven’t answered the bell this year yet to continue to win," Martin said. “Physicality. It’s not just rebounding. We can’t run offense because our guys wont screen, or our guards won’t use the screens. We’re not strong enough to hold post ups. Defensively, they screen you. It’s been our problem all year. We can’t get through screens.*

"Rebounding is just the stat that represents physicality. We got beat. Rebounding demonstrates our lack of physicality. We’re not a very physical team. It’s been all year and you guys have covered us anytime we play a team that plays with any kind of physicality.”

Kentucky coach John Calipari says a team has to be ready to be physical against South Carolina.

"I like to press a pressing team. If a team is a disruptive defensive team, let's disrupt them. If a team likes to run, let's run them. You take their strength and make it it's not your strength. You know what I'm saying? That's kind of how I try to do this," Calipari said.

So who is right? Is South Carolina physical or not?

"Maybe it's their normal physicality, that this was a little down. I'll tell you what, when there are people hitting the floor or you're moving into ball screens, you're getting whacked, the only difference was Reid (Travis) was out there whacking, too, so was P.J. It's two teams whacking each other," Calipari said.

"You know what? Maybe we were a little more aggressive than them. I don't know. Or the ball bounced our way. I don't know."
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post