Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• VAUGHT: Calipari sees E. J. Montgomery breaking through

By LARRY VAUGHT

The numbers seem nice, but not nearly impactful enough to have Kentucky coach John Calipari beaming about freshman EJ Montgomery the way he was after Tuesday night's 76-55 win over No. 22 Mississippi State in Rupp Arena.

Montgomery was 2-for-5 from the field -- and finally hit a 3-point shot. He also had a blocked shot at a key time, two rebounds and one steal in 13 minutes.

"Obviously he's a good shooter. Just doesn't look like it so far. It's the first one he made all year. It's good that you made one finally," Calipari said.

"I keep telling him, he's going to break through and everybody is going to say, oh, my gosh, who is this guy. I mean, did you see him block that shot? It changed the game. If we had another big guy in, and he just acted like, well, it's not my man and didn't block that shot and that ball goes in, we could have lost the game. That changed the game.

== MORE ==
    Comments 4 Comments
      CatQuick -
      EJ just needs to get stronger, play and get experience. He is too weak with the ball and gets knocked off his spot a great deal. I really hope he comes back another year. He can be a special player in time.
      dan_bgblue -
      He actually had a breakout in the Bahamas IIRC. Guess Coach was busy talking to a reporter in the stands when it happened in the one game he played.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      He actually had a breakout in the Bahamas IIRC. Guess Coach was busy talking to a reporter in the stands when it happened in the one game he played.
      He only played something like part of one game in the Bahamas. You gotta play subsequent games to have a break out game, otherwise it’s just a flash.
      dan_bgblue -
      The flash was bright enough to see with no problem at all. I had never seen him play before and was honestly more impressed with his play than I was with any of the other newcomers. He has all the physical tools to be a very special player. imo
  • KSR Twitter Feed