Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Twany Beckham to build personal identity, focus on defense

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

To “be yourself” is one of the first lessons taught in school, and the one that is continuously stressed throughout the high school years.

Once you join a sports team, however, that idea sometimes gets lost in the shuffle. It’s suddenly not as important who you are individually, as long as the team comes first.

Well, maybe it does matter at Kentucky.

Senior transfer Twany Beckham is learning the importance of just that – being himself – as he continues to build his role on the Kentucky squad the year after the Cats won the national championship.

“We don’t try to compare ourselves to last year’s team, you know, guys like me and Kyle (Wiltjer) and Jon (Hood) and JP (Jarrod Polson), some of us were on last year’s team, but nobody even brings it up,” Beckham said. “This year we’ve got to find our own identity and try to do what we did last year. But we never talk about what the team did last year, or expectations.”

And the individual identity that Beckham will bring to the team?

“I’m an energy guy,” he said. “I come in and play hard at both ends of the court. I specialize in defense. Whenever we need to stop somebody, hopefully I can get put on that guy to stop him.”

The first step of being called upon to defend an opponent’s best player, of course, is to get on the court, which is another goal of Beckham’s. He played a total of 44 minutes last season, and hopes to build on that during the upcoming year. The key to increasing his participation this season is… you guessed it: defense.

“Playing for Coach Cal, defense has got to be one of your strengths or you’re not going to play,” Beckham said. “Individually, I’ve been getting in shoot-in too, working on my ball-handling, just trying to get better at everything I can get better at, so when the season comes, I can get some minutes on the floor.”

Getting onto that floor is not only a goal of Beckham’s, but a lifelong dream. A native of Louisville, Beckham said his “dream school” was always the University of Kentucky, but he instead went to play for Mississippi State before returning to the bluegrass.

Now, Beckham has a national championship ring and a chance to compete for more playing time during the upcoming season. The key to that happening, as well as the key to UK backing up its national title, is holding onto individual identities within the framework of the overall team, according to Beckham.

“Once we start practice, everyone will have a better clue about what their job is,” he said. “Everyone just needs to be themselves and do what they have to do on the floor to help us win. Nobody should try to do too much. We all need each other.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Hoping he can make a contribution this year. In limited time he played well, even in key moments. Showed poise beyond my expectations. Remember against Louisville he looked like he belonged, which surprised me.
      Jeeepcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Hoping he can make a contribution this year. In limited time he played well, even in key moments. Showed poise beyond my expectations. Remember against Louisville he looked like he belonged, which surprised me.
      He's sort of my "Ramon Harris 2.0" - I just hope he has developed enough O to stay on the floor for us to benefit from his D
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post